This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cannister's Log

Started by Eric Heiden, March 8, 2012 · 101 Replies · 3,072 Views

Eric Heiden
raja said:
There are many variations(weighted and unweighted), but here are some of the more popular ones:

http://youtu.be/Ke4MoP0tBtI

http://youtu.be/eYTGfLXtTT8

You may have different ROM, strength, or activation between the 2 sides. It may even out just by doing dedicated work for scapular depression, especially if it doesn't happen at rest. You should be doing extra scapular retraction and depression work, as well as external rotation training almost every upper body workout you do.

Thanks for the suggestions! One more question - will trap3 improve scap. depression, or are they two seperate things? If so what kind of exercises will help me strengthen scap. depression?

Eric Heiden
raja said:
There are many variations(weighted and unweighted), but here are some of the more popular ones:

http://youtu.be/Ke4MoP0tBtI

http://youtu.be/eYTGfLXtTT8

You may have different ROM, strength, or activation between the 2 sides. It may even out just by doing dedicated work for scapular depression, especially if it doesn't happen at rest. You should be doing extra scapular retraction and depression work, as well as external rotation training almost every upper body workout you do.

Thanks for the suggestions! One more question - will trap3 improve scap. depression, or are they two seperate things? If so what kind of exercises will help me strengthen scap. depression?

Parth Rajguru

Trap-3 refers to the lower fibers of the trapezius, which act in scapular depression.

Eric Heiden

Yesterday, June 19th, 2012:

Pre-req WU (with 3 sets of ~44 seconds of PB support for my shoulder)

WOD 120423:

3 rounds of

5 Weighted RLL (did with 10 lbs)

10 Killers

5 Arch-ups

20m Sled Sprint (dragged a plastic box full of gravel in front of me as I "ran" backwards. This would be much harder if I had a real sled)

60 seconds aggregate of straddle L (44 seconds: low, last 16 seconds: bent)

Here's my "low" straddle L - I think this was my first time trying this really:

Eric Heiden

Prereq WU (1st w/strap assistance, #2 & 3 without PB support 60s, ~30s?, ~30s?)

WOD 120424:

1x10 Wrist Pushups (knees no piking)

2x10 Cast Wall Walks (did 2x5 but these felt a very slight bit easier)

2x5 Pike Box Press HS (2x5 pike press HeS with one ~10 inch mat)

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS (4x5 straddle press HeS - no box)

12 cycles of XR Strap HS (1x30s, 1x20s, 1x15s, 17s, 1x~7s)

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups (knees lots of piking)

Notes - I messed around with Box heights up to about head level for pike box press HS but couldn't lift my legs up - it was interesting feeling the strain on my shoulders though - that was kind of nice almost. I went back to pike press HeS but lowered the "box" to about 10" off the ground for pike and no "box" for the straddle version. As usual Cast wall walks and wall HS are the hardest.

PB supports:

Rest of the workout:

Eric Heiden

General WU, 3 x PB support

WOD 120426:

4 rounds:

2 – Front Pulls (body lever negatives)

1 - 15’ Cirque (towel pullups 10, 9, 8, 6)

2 – Front Pulls (body levers negatives)

5 -Yewkis (inverted chins 5, 5, 5)

2 – Front Pulls (body levers negatives)

10 - FL Pulls (tucked, quickly - 10, 7, 5, 5)

botched the 2nd round - got confused with another WOD that was open on a different tab of my browser. Ended up doing some XR rows and left the inverted chins out that round oh well. This was also my first time successfully scaling this kind of workout so I could more or less complete 4 rounds - the body levers were a first for me - so much fun and sooo hard when you get to the body of the negative.

Eric Heiden

6/28/2012: WOD 120427

Prereq WU (3x~25 s PB support - my shoulder alignment is vastly improved!)

Perform the following:

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 3 (did 3 sets of Ring Strength 1 followed by 3 false grip pull ups and 3 full ROM XR dips)

5x15 seconds FL (tuck)

5x15 sec Descending XR L-sit (hard - couldn't get my legs to 90 degrees)

5x15 seconds German Hang (feeling much stronger in these)

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions - haven't done these in a while and I'm much closer to the wall with less effort!

TODAY I DID MY FIRST UNASSISTED MUSCLE UP! Not perfect, but here it is at 1:16:

Eric Heiden

7/5/2012:

Prereq WU

WOD - 120430:

3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Assisted OAC (3 each arm) (BL tuck + 6 XR bulgarian pullups (last set 5))

1 Embedded PL + 5 Tempo Elevated HeSPU (frog stand + 5 Box HeSPU (4 last set))

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts (FL tuck + 5 ~2-3 second tuck FX L-sit holds)

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks (did 7)

Eric Heiden

7/6/12

WU

WOD 120501:

four rounds:

60 sec Jump Rope

30m Sled/Tire Sprint (30m uphill sprint)

60 sec Jump Rope

20m Squat Jumps

60 sec Jump Rope

10 Depth Jumps (from 4th rung of my ladder)

Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

Fed X

pretty awesome log!!

Eric Heiden
beasty boy said:
pretty awesome log!!

Thanks! I figured it wasn't too hard to record a round of each wod and upload it to youtube - I've been helped immensely by others recording their WODs for exercises that I'm not familiar with - especially with options to scale things down. Not to mention seeing yourself try these things gives you a sense on what needs improving as far as form is concerned. It's good visual feedback.

Eric Heiden

yesterday - 7/10/12

Did handstand practice - stomach to wall handstands concentrating on improving my shoulder extension, locking my elbows, and using pressure on the palms/fingers to lift my toes from the wall and then bring them back to it as suggested by Yuri in http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9340#p83494'>his thread on the HS subforum.

Eric Heiden

7/13/2012 - did some handstand work. Trying to get vertical alignment, shoulder extensions, straight elbows. I also did my first successful small bout of HS wall walks! Whoa! That's improvement!

Eric Heiden

7/14/2012:

Prereq WU + 30s wall HS

WOD 120503:

3 Rounds:

10 Weighted SLS (did 10 SLS negatives each leg)

5 Side Lever Pulls (did 5 weighted supine windshield wipers)

10m Backward Sled Sprint (sprinted backwards up my driveway)

5 GHR (GHR half)

Finished the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

Hip extensions were probably the hardest part of this workout. I also need to make/buy some kind of a sled because I never feel like sprinting up my driveway is really as hard as it should be without any resistance.

Eric Heiden

7/15/2012:

Elbow straightening mobility work

Prereq WU + ~30 s Handstand

WOD 120504:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks (did 4, 3, and 3 - first time actually finishing all prescribed CWWs!!)

1x10 wrist pushups

1x5 Pike Box Press HS (pike press HeS w/mat under my head)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS (Straddle HeS press w/mat under my head)

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs (I think this ended up being around 1:45 total)

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Eric Heiden

Yesterday (7/15/2012), I worked on my Handstand with some new drills:

-Worked kicking up (I've done this before but I'm truly awful at it so far)

-Worked handstands in a doorway with my legs on either side of the frame (trying to develop balance for freestanding HS)

-Worked pike & straddle compression for someday being able to press to HS

I obviously still have a ton of work to do in opening up my shoulders - maybe I need to research a more adamant program for this than just occasionally doing wall extensions when they're in the WODs...

Anybody have advice on opening the shoulders or improving my kick up to HS/General balance?

Eric Heiden

Saturday, July 28th, 2012:

What I was supposed to do:

WOD 120507:

Complete four rounds:

2 Cast Wall Walks

3 XR Strap HSPU

2 Cast Wall Walks

5 XR Dips to L-sit

2 Cast Wall Walks

7 XR PMP Plus

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

What I actually did:

Prereq WU

1 Round:

2 CWWs

3 Neg. HeSPU

2 CWWs

5 XR Dips to L-sit

1 CWW

5 XR Pushups (then 5 XR Bulgarian Pushups)

Then I got a phone call and went rock climbing outside for the first time in like 4 months so I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Climbing > Gymnastics strength training in my world.

Eric Heiden

Ok! Back after a bit of a hiatus - a combination of vacation + my right lat being unreasonably sore most of the time led me taking time off. I'm back, picking up where I left off:

WOD 120508:

3 sets of: Ring strength 1 (I think I may have done 4).

5x15 seconds FL (Tuck)

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS (Stomach to Wall HS)

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions (Did 2x10 Shoulder Dislocates instead - it's a poor excuse but my back was too sweaty and I didn't want to mess up my wall).

Feels good to be back!

NOTE: I want to add and put priority to 3x30sec of FX L-sit, 3x30 PB Support, 3x~75% effort wall HS as a part of my daily warmup. After getting the solid 3x30s PB Support I'll go for 3x60s.

Eric Heiden

Prereq WU (w/3x30s PB Support)

3x10s FX Lsit tuck

3xHS(StW)

10 wrist pushups

WOD 120510:

3x[lower from inverted hang to tuck BL + 5 tempo XR FL rows (feet on floor)]

3x[jump to frog stand + 5 tempo XR Bulgarian pushups]

3x[lower to tuck FL Body Lever negatives]

10 Bridge Wall Walks

I think my shoulder alignment issue in my PB Supports is getting better. Not perfect yet but it's much less uneven.

Also I've added 3x10s FX tuck Lsits to my warmup:

Eric Heiden

8/15/2012:

prereq WU + 3x30s PB support, 3x10 FX Lsit tuck, 3xHS (StW), 10 wrist pushups

3 rounds:

2 back pulls negatives (advanced tuck)

5 reverse yewkis

2 back pulls negatives (advanced tuck)

(reps: 10,5,5) FL pulls (half),

2 back pulls negatives (advanced tuck)

(reps: 10,5,5) towel pullups

so: I had to cut from 10 reps to 5 after the first round on the FL half-pulls and the towel pullups. Also - I didn't realize until just now that reverse yewkis aren't a proper sub for yewkis! doh! The back pull negatives felt very good though - my elbow doesn't feel strain anymore after working hard on things like this and GH.

Also don't judge me for the music playing - I blame internet radio.

Eric Heiden

Thursday, Aug. 23rd, 2012:

I did some doorway HS holds and kick to HS practice in the hallway tonight. I found that I probably put more than 1/2 of my weight on my left arm normally, and thus cause my hips to shift to the right to compensate and stay balanced. I'm trying to correct this by shifting my weight back and forth over both hands and then when I find what feels like the middle to me then I try and shift my hips left and right until I find middle. The 2nd and 3rd clips of this video show me doing that:

Eric Heiden

Learned how to do an elbow lever today:

Eric Heiden

8/28/2012:

Did some handstand practice today - working on:

1) developing balance coming off of the wall per Yuri's suggestion

2) improving my body line - I've realized that I'm not ever really fully extended. At some point in today's exercises I really focused on extending my whole body up and my toes touched the ceiling. They've never done that before. But then all of a sudden it was a crutch when I didn't want it to be with balance. Hmmmm...

3) Locking my body into one solid piece. Watching myself in these videos I see that I break at the hips pretty easily. In my last HS attempt of the day I really focused on squeezing my glutes and it felt much more solid. Too bad it took me until my wrists were toast to figure that out today.

Here's a video:

Cannister

11/12/2012:

Back from the dead.

Getting back into it today very basic. Just doing 3x60s of the prereqs.

plank: 3 x 60s

hollow: 38s, 27s, 21s (whaaaat?? wow strength goes fast)

reverse plank: 3 x 60s

PB support: 60s, 31s, 27s

arch: 3 x 60s

chin deadhang: 3 x 60s

FX L-sit: (accumulating 60s) - 11s, 14s, 10s, 10s, 12s, 3s

30 air squats

wall HS: 26s, (10 wrist pushups), 23s, rest, 23s

skin the cats: 5, rest, 5

remember GST, body? Hardly? Too bad.

Cannister

WU:

plk: 60s

rplk: 60s

hollow: 60s

arch: 60s

deadhang: 60s

WOD 120515

1x10 Wrist Pushups: 10

2x10 Cast Wall Walks: 10, (10 wrist pushups), 5 wrists were shot, I was getting way too sloppy

2x5 Pike Box Press HS: 5, 5 (last two had sloppy descents)

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS: 10, 7 (neck started to hurt)

Walking HSPU Ladders: 4 box HeSPU (weak, I know - my wrists were shot to hell)

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups: 10

some of the cast wall walks and box presses: