Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A question on gymnastic grips

seiyafan

Yes and yes. Typically they are used for swinging events, especially after you start swinging big on Giants and release moves and big flyaways.

They can sort of keep calluses away, but generally when wearing them you start getting rips and calluses elsewhere on the hands.

They are not necessary for strength training or for ripped hands.

If you need to keep your hands nice, use tape or gloves I guess.

At this stage in your Gymnastic Strength Training™ (GST), gymnastics grips will be a hinderance and a detriment. Do not buy grips. A simple strip of Johnsons athletic tape around your wrist is all that you require at this time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I'm assuming we are talking about ring grips?

Not that we do any dynamic high bar work, but if one were to be learning high bar swings, when do you recommend starting with grips? I recall Coach saying as soon as possible.

Yes, for technical gymnastics swinging work the wearing of "grips" should be implemented as soon as possible under the careful supervision of a professional gymnastics coach (professional = a properly trained and certified coach who prepares athletes for the rigors of competition) as their usage is indeed essential for the development of a technically sound swing.

However, improperly sized and utilized grips may result in a broken wrist, broken forearm or both. As such for beginner Gymnastic Strength Training™, I do not recommend them. In fact for GST, grips will hinder, not aid, a beginner's strength development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

wow, I thought grips can hinder one's grip strength development, but how could improperly sized and utilized grips result in a broken wrist or broken forearm?

If they are too big, the flap can roll onto itself and bind, your hand stops and the rest keeps going. It's no joke.

• 3 months later...

Are grips supposed to slide "smooth and easy" while doing giants? When i tried grips on a high bar, it felt like i really had to be careful not to have my wrist wrapped around the bar. It felt almost like they didnt rotate around the bar very well at all even though i didnt use that much strength to hold on to the bar, but instead they were almost like glued to the bar if you know what i mean..?

I was so afraid i only did 2 giants with grips and just continued practicing with straps.

Or maybe its just the normal sensation the first time you try those things, and theres really nothing to worry about when your grips are not over sized..?

Heres what Coach has already written: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6152&p=77063&hilit=high+bar#p56320

Ill try to "trust the dowel" tomorrow and come back to share my thoughts after that..

Coach Sommer

It is essential that initially you do not attempt to either size or use gymnastics grips during giant work on your own.

- The first order of business is to have your coach check the size of your high bar grips. To be correctly sized when the grips are on your wrists and the grip itself is laid on top of your palm and fingers, but not hooked on the finger tips, the length of the grip should not extend onto the last joint of the middle finger, but should stop just shy of the crease at the beginning of that last joint.

- If this does not make sense and/or your coach is insufficiently experienced to properly size them for you; DO NOT use the grips for giant work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

It's also very important to know that over time, the grips leather can stretch and this can cause the broken wrists and forearms even if the grip used to be the right size. And if this ever happens to you, you DO want people to be around to help you get off the bar. I've seen it happen twice, and in both cases we had to unwrap the guys from around the bar. Not cool. At all.

• 3 weeks later...
Sailor Venus

How does the dowel work?

And one thing i don't understand is why the gloves are called grips, why? The reason I'm asking is if you have grip and you're swinging on the bar, it's going to create friction. Do we need friction? I think what's important is having strong hands and wrist that can support your bodyweight and resist against centrifugal force as you do the giants. With strong wrists and hands, the centrifugal force can't pull you off the bar.

I don't understand the whole grip thing or why the bar has chalk powder all over it, to me it is like putting non-lubricative substance between some gear cogs.