Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting off the carbs...

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

Hi All,

This question's mainly directed at Ido (if you have time), although as always I'm obviously interested in everybody's input.

There was a recent discussion regarding the concept of 'Treats' and whether or not they are a good idea (here)... though following a discussion over the weekend, I wondered what experience you have had regards success and/or lack of success with your clients with different approaches to getting started. Have you noticed any marked difference in long-term adherence to dietary changes if they start by tapering off on the carbs, or going cold turkey?

Many thanks,

George.

Guest Ido Portal

My friend, this is the one million dollar question, and why I get paid the big bucks. (NOT!)

This problem can have many possible solutions, depending on the person, his mental makeup, physiology, nutritional past, nutrient deficiencies, and more.

The only solution I suggest is: (as always) educate yourself, learn the material, learn yourself and make smart decisions.

In the future Coach Sommer and I are going to provide a nutritional 'how to' DVD for the natural trainee that will cover the strategies of how to deal with this problem and many others, in a simple and direct way. In the mean while, keep learning!

Ido.

George Launchbury

Hi Ido,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had a feeling that would be the case, but one is always hopeful! Hope to hear more about this project in the future, as it sounds very interesting.

Actually, as I think about it a little more - in some ways I find your answer to be quite encouraging!

Best,

George.

Hi George,

I'm not Ido, as you well know, but I thought I might chime in. Ido said in the other post (Treats) that the cheat method has failed in 99% of the people he's worked with. We all have preferences, especially when it comes to food! Everybody has there weaknesses, temptations, desires, etc.

Now, I think it depends upon the person, like Ido said, but a good remark (not direct quote!) from the back of one of Dean Ornish's books (the guy who the Eades, authors of Protein Power, hate) is 'The problem with making little changes (in this case diet) is people see little difference/results'. I think that this is true in that changes do not need to be huge but dramatic!

One idea I have been tinkering with on holidays, cousins gave me plenty about the diet, don't worry I didn't stray (much), is fine if you don't think Paleo isn't healthy (not meaning you George, it's rhetorical) but I want you take your plate put a bit of meat (any type, except salami, bacon, etc) about 1/3 of the plate and put it on there, then fill the rest of the plate with veggies/salad, eat that, now have your dam bread and pasta!How much can you eat?.........Not much! It's an extension of the Zone hand-eye method. I find if I full of the wagon the best way to get back on is to do the previously stated AND to say to myself

'I am going to go 3-5 days (I make a decisive decision I don't actually say 3-5 days) strictly Paleo, strictly, just for those days then you (I) can have a pig out day!'. Well after those 3 or so days I'm doing well, Paleoing, I look at the cupboard (bread, jams, biscuits) and I don't tend to particularly 'crave' them anymore. Now, this works fo me for a number of reasons, 1. I been Paleoing previously so I'm not new to low-carb, just re-starting, 2. We don't have heaps of 'crap' in the cupboard or fridge, 3. My mum is a low-carber, so a bit of support. George, you've previously mentioned drinking (water) as to curb/realise your hunger I've gotten good rsults with it, just don't bloat yourself. Another thing, when binging, always keep in my mind it's never to late to stop/change. Yet again, like Ido said experiment!

Hope this helps a little,

Ed

P.S I have one of my weaknesses in my fridge, cheese :) . It's a good weakness to have, as at least it is low-carb and does'nt add more cravings

Hey George here is my imput.

About 2 years ago: I ate about anything clearly kind of clean diet, but everything.

Then I started moving my self into eating no white rice/ bread etc, started lowering sugars down.

Then time passed, I started eating more fat and vegies, and fruits.

then I kept taking these little steps about 4 months ago I was only eating maybe 1 grain/cereal type of food a day.

About 3 weeks ago.

I removed completely any grains, cereals, I couldn't believe how only 1 grain meal a day affected me. Now I'm eating 100 grams of carbs a day, plenty of fat, etc. And I think that most people that would of made that change would of not sticked with it. But because I progressed little by little, the next step, kind of was just the "same" maybe a little tighter but you had all these other food choices so it didn't bother me.

I was in 10% body fat when I started doing this. And trying to dip down into single digits is very hard, well with these 3 weeks I'm at about 9%, 1% might not seem big difference but it was a huge step. I would still like to get down to 6% or so, so I'm getting there.

So the key for me was just moving up in steps, So now that i'm up in the final step is all easy.

• 1 month later...

Am I correct that "Paleo" is about avoiding processed food and carbs (sticking to meat and veggies)? I've thought about going all lean-meat and dark vegetables before, it makes great sense from the biochemistry I've learned, but I'm always curious about the energy factor... does anyone on low-carb plans have comments about their energy level (can you sustain workouts of the same intensity when "dieting") or good resources for background info? Thanks!

Arch, I'm on a low carb diet(kinda zone, kinda paleo, i still consume tons of milk) and for me gave me a lot more energy to do my day job, motivation to do tedious stuff improved. Energy levels overall were higher. I also feel a lot more relaxed and less edgy, more prepared for the crap that occurs throughout the day. That in itself is enough of a sell for me.

I now actively seek out fruits and veggies, I can definately tell the difference when I get lots of them as opposed to very little.

Paleo = avoid anything that comes from a farm or a processing plant. Anything dairy is out of the question, beans/ starchy veggies ( potatoes)/ wheat ( pasta), also. For protein: stick to lean meats, (reason being is that the current ratio of protein to fat in todays farm raised animals are much higher then what occured in a hunter gatherer setting). For fats: a majority should come from nuts/avocados/olive oil/ fish oils. Carbs: Fruits and veggies (remember a whole cantelope is only 150 cals, it takes a lot to get a little).

www.paleodiet.com or just go buy the guy's book, its worth it.

• 7 months later...
Guest Cornfed_Iowan

I watch my carb intake but wouldnt say I am on a low carb diet by anymeans. My question is...Are they really that bad if you are smart about them? Meaning, Whole wheat/grain pasta, bread and rice.

Carbs are by no means bad. It really depends on the kinds of carbs you are getting. Low glycemic and high fiber tend to work the best for avoiding sugar crashess. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, that is probally the worst thing you can put in your body and it is everywhere. In dealing with sugars everyone's body is different in how they process it. Some people are very sensative to sugar and can have pretty extreme crashes. I had 4.5% body fat on a 65% carb diet, I eat about 55% now and have around 9%. Many other factors play into this but it is possible to eat carbs and have low body fat.

Andrew

Guest Cornfed_Iowan

I know/hear of a lot of people that limit or stop their carb intake after a certain time of the day (ie. 4pm). Is this good advice or the right thing to do? If so, why?

The basic function of a carbohydrate is to provide energy. Most people do not do much in the way of physical activit at night time, therefore do not need that imediate energy. If that energy is unused it is stored as fat. If you do not exercise at night or work at night eating less carbs can be beneficial for cutting body fat. The exception to this is extreme arobic activity such as marathon or triathalon runners who need as much as they can get.

Andrew

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.