Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Accessories

Zhul

I'll receive a plain pair of rings pretty soon. By "plain" I mean rings only, without straps, buckles, etc.. So it will be pretty helpful if you tell me what accessories should I look for(buckles, straps, etc) to complete my set and where can I get them from, considering that i want the rings to be portable, but i'll also attach them to my ceiling. Quality is top priority here!

A set of cargo straps. Ideally they would support 3-5x your BW. There is a difference between max load and work load (work load of buckles and straps is generally half of max load).

For hanging off the ceiling, I'd recommend an eye bolt going through the side of a ceiling support beam. Ideally, a big fat one.

Going through the bottom of a support beam is not recommended.

Buckles go hand in hand with the straps, right?

About the ceiling installation, I'm living in an apartment building so we dont have any support beams(and cant install any). The good thing is that the ceiling is made of concrete and i'm living on the middle floor of the building, so we have neighbours on top of us. Will this be enough to hang the rings directly from the ceiling using hook anchor bolts and some climbing buckles?

Joshua Naterman
A set of cargo straps. Ideally they would support 3-5x your BW. There is a difference between max load and work load (work load of buckles and straps is generally half of max load).

For hanging off the ceiling, I'd recommend an eye bolt going through the side of a ceiling support beam. Ideally, a big fat one.

Going through the bottom of a support beam is not recommended.

Maximum working load is between usually 20% and 33% of max 10s (or whatever the strain testing time is) load, depending on the company and testing procedure.

Buckles go hand in hand with the straps, right?

About the ceiling installation, I'm living in an apartment building so we dont have any support beams(and cant install any). The good thing is that the ceiling is made of concrete and i'm living on the middle floor of the building, so we have neighbours on top of us. Will this be enough to hang the rings directly from the ceiling using hook anchor bolts and some climbing buckles?

Yes this is the set up i have -

You should be able to find these at a decent hardware store in your area. I used the M8 size, my friend uses M10 because the hole in the eyebolt is bigger. however i can pass normal carabiners through the M8.

The hard part is the drilling and i really recommend you rent a good hammer drill with the proper bit as a regular drill may take hours to drill this size hole in concrete.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8766671/masonr ... rs-bolt-m8

R1fkZ.jpg

Joshua Naterman

NICE! That looks awesome!

Hammer drill AKA Impact drill with proper drill bit is definitely 100% required, drilling concrete is awful without the impact and impossible without the right bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to look for the needed stuff today, but cant find M10/M12 bolts with closed hook anywhere! The other problem are the straps. Dont know where to look for them. Found some in the big hardware shops, but they support like 30kg in vertical load and the buckles dont seem pretty reliable.

Neat, Rogue offers 40' straps. I still think you can find cargo straps for cheaper than that (online), but Rogues are nice, very robust.

I can't remember where, but cargo straps are cheaper than 25 bucks for 20' and what will support whatever rings you use. I can't remember where online. Home Depot has some, but I don't think they are on the long side and you are paying for their shelfing space in their price.

Joshua Naterman

All the straps I see in Home Depot have those hooks, and that isn't secure enough for gymnastics work. I HAVE been very ghetto before and duct taped the hooks together so they couldn't come apart, but... :) Not something I would ever recommend. Besides, I only got about 4 feet out of them... plenty for muscle ups, dips, and pullups but not enough for much else.

THe ratchet straps are WAY too much of a pain, I tried that once and never again. I guess if you had multiple sets of rings on the ceiling at different heights you could use those, but again... I would just buy the rings straps. They are already constructed, exactly what OP needs, and the price difference just isn't enough to justify being more ghetto. We're talking about a maximum of 10 bucks difference, which is ridiculous to use as an excuse for trying to cobble together a quality piece of fitness equipment in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of quality over everything else, but i have to find some other solution here. The Rogue straps will cost me $73.51! Yes, that's right, ~50$ for shipping! I just cant aford such a luxury at this stage of my life. Have to find some alternative. I'm considering of trying with ropes, but i wont be able to change the height of the rings this way(and this is a must).

You might look for a store that sells rock climbing gear. Can find webbing and slings to use. Not sure if you know anything about rigging but some webbing, caribiners and slings work wonders. I keep my straps set at one height then use slings and biners to clip them up when I need them higher. For floor height I can clip the straps to the slings. It works in my set up certainly might not work for yours but something to look at maybe.

You can just use rope, but its such a pain to retie when you want to adjust your rings.

You should be able to find cargo straps in most countries.

Joshua Naterman
I'm a big fan of quality over everything else, but i have to find some other solution here. The Rogue straps will cost me $73.51! Yes, that's right, ~50$ for shipping! I just cant aford such a luxury at this stage of my life. Have to find some alternative. I'm considering of trying with ropes, but i wont be able to change the height of the rings this way(and this is a must).

WOW. Where the heck do you live?!

If you're going to use ropes, just make a bunch of different height ropes. That way you can clip into and out of whatever you need. Not as cool as full adjustability but you will have what you need!

He would still need a way to swap the rings from one rope to another.

Yeah where are you living?

That would be the solution. I guess if you just had single rope and knotted loops at various heights changing would be very quick.

If you're going to use ropes, just make a bunch of different height ropes. That way you can clip into and out of whatever you need. Not as cool as full adjustability but you will have what you need!

That's just a great idea! Gonna stick with it at least until I find some affordable straps. I went to buy some rope and the picture is getting clearer. Thinking of some neat way to put all this together now.. I came up with this solution: 2 anchor bolts with completely close hook, connected with 2 carabineers; few pairs of ropes with same length. The ropes attach to the rings with simple self locking knot(http://i42.tinypic.com/2uh2w76.jpg) but i'm not sure what knot to use for the carabineer-rope connection.

That's true, but a carabeener and a rope loop permanently on the ring would do it!

Uuh, cant really imagine how this should look, can you give me some pointers or picture if possible, please?

Really appreciate the support you give me, gentlemen, keep up the good work. :P

There are a few ways to go about it.

One idea that would save you needing many different length ropes is this.

Tie a rope somewhat longer than twice the length of the longest rope you want into a loop with a ring passed through.

Then tie the looped rope into a knot at the lengths you want. The you can easily change the height of the rings by hooking the rope at the appropriate knot.

I hope that makes sense, if not ask questions.

If you try this keep in mind that the knots take up some amount of rope, it would be smart to figure that out before you start and it's really important to get both ropes identical, you don't want one ring higher than the other.

Aaron Griffin
That would be the solution. I guess if you just had single rope and knotted loops at various heights changing would be very quick.

This would be an ideal knot for that situation.

That's it, and a regular bowline on the ends. I'd make the ring end loop a bit longer so the knot is bit away from the ring.