Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

just made my own pull-up bar for GB WODs - need help

juiop

I just made my own pull-up bar to put in my room out of galvanized pipe. Its quite a basic set up and I don't know how reliable it is. The following parts were used:

2x1.8m Galvanized pipe (for the legs)

1x1.2m Galvanized pipe (for the horizontal bar to hang off/set rings on)

4x60cm Galvanized pipe (for the feet)

2x elbow connectors

2x T-join connectors

4x caps

It seems very stable however it does wobble a bit forward and back when I get on it. It probably moves forward and back about 2cm max. And it can move sideways if I push it about 4-5cm. However it never moves sideways while I use it, since I don't do any movements that would make it move like that.

It seems quite strong too, The only thing I might be worried about is the join from the leg to the t-join connector. The leg is probably only in the T-join by about 1-2cm or so. So I feel like it may not be enough, and one day may break. The same goes for the legs and the horizontal bar when it connects to the elbow joins. That is also about 1-2cm in.

Also I find that no one else seems to do it this way. Everyone seems to just attach it to the wall/ceiling somehow. Unfortunately, I cant do that since this is not my house. I have posted some pictures below, please have a look and tell me what you think. It would be great help! Thanks!!

IMG20111220_001.jpg

IMG20111220_003.jpg

IMG20111220_005.jpg

IMG20111220_004.jpg

IMG20111220_002.jpg

It's a perfectly good solution, nothing to worry about. The main disadvantage for most is it takes up more space, and is not a high up as going straight from the ceiling.

Did you use a pipe wrench to tighten the joints?

The rocking is going to be there, not much you can do about it. You could try adding some guy wires with tensioners to the sides.

Alvaro Antolinez

Maybe adding some cable tensors to remove the torsional force frome the T junction at the base?

I didnt use a pipe wrench. Actually thats my next step. I only bought the equipment yesterday and was too keen to wait on a pipe wrench so built it quickly.

I plan on tightening them with a pipe wrench and also using this thin tape you can put around the points where you screw it in. This is suppose to block any space in there (its used to stop waterleaks) so that should hopefully fill up the tiny space that causes some movement.

Also, the main problem here is tightening the legs and the horizontal bar into the elbow/t-joins. You tighten at one end, and it loosens at the other end. So i bought a barrel union to fix that up. Now it will be tight at both ends.

I was really only worried about the fact that when screwing these pipes into the t-joins/elbow joins, it doesnt go in that far. So I felt like that might not be safe in the long run. What do you reckon? As long as thats fine, I think the whole set is fine.

OP, that's an excellent setup! I've been in the market for a free-standing pull-up bar for sometime, and basically narrowed it down to the TAPS ($520) unit or the TrapezeRigging's Elite bar ($350). But to be honest after seeing this thread, I think for my purposes your setup may not only be more cost-effective, but I'll also be able to get just the right height and width. Thank you for sharing!

I have a few questions, I am new to gymnastics conditioning, and am wondering how high would I need to setup the bar to be able to use it for most of the ring work? With additional support braces, how high would the bar need to be in order to eventually be able to do the ring handstands? Would 10' be sufficient, b/c that what they seem to sell at my local Home Depot. Also, how wide, if one day I plan to achieve an iron cross? In other words, how much extra space would I need on each side of my extended arms?

OP, that's an excellent setup! I've been in the market for a free-standing pull-up bar for sometime, and basically narrowed it down to the TAPS ($520) unit or the TrapezeRigging's Elite bar ($350). But to be honest after seeing this thread, I think for my purposes your setup may not only be more cost-effective, but I'll also be able to get just the right height and width. Thank you for sharing!

I have a few questions, I am new to gymnastics conditioning, and am wondering how high would I need to setup the bar to be able to use it for most of the ring work? With additional support braces, how high would the bar need to be in order to eventually be able to do the ring handstands? Would 10' be sufficient, b/c that what they seem to sell at my local Home Depot. Also, how wide, if one day I plan to achieve an iron cross? In other words, how much extra space would I need on each side of my extended arms?

I cant really help you with heights. I am also new to all this. I just made mine high enough so I can do things like german hangs, pull ups, inverted hangs. I need to modify this by using a barrel union, so I will show you more pics later when its properly done. This was quite expensive. The parts cost me $360 in total! But maybe if you live in America its much cheaper. I needed a quick fix so I got this. I must say though its easily expandable. Years later if I ever need to do iron cross, I can extend the horizontal bar (just attach another bar to the existing one, via a barrel union - very easy!). So this set up gives good flexibility. But it was pricey for me!

• 2 weeks later...