Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

about to build dip station/Parallettes - need help

juiop

I am about to build a dip station and use it for doing the L-Sit and also basically any other exercise that uses the parallettes. I thought that since the dip station is basically the same thing, only the width cant be changed, it should be fine.

This is what it will look like:

http://trinitytraining.blogspot.com/2010/06/diy-gear-dip-station.html

(video clip of it)

I wanted to ask three questions and if you could help me with this that would be great!

1. Would it be okay to use the dip station (pictured above) for everything you would do on a parrallette? (like l-sit etc)

2. What should the diameter (thickness) of the pipes be? Everyone seems to use 2" (50mm) but I find that is quite big for my hand to get around. I was thinking of using 32mm, as that seems to have the perfect fit. When I put my hand around 32mm thick pipes, my index finger manages to just touch the thumb. I was thinking either 32mm or 40mm. But what do you suggest? Does it matter how thick the pipe is? I have small hands, when compared to most people.

3. What about the width ? By width I mean, when I place my hands on the bars to do a dip or an L-sit, how far apart (the width) should my hands be from each other? I always thought it should be far apart such that the arms are perpendicular to the floor. So the arms should be straight down, underneath the shoulder. What do you think? Does it matter?

32mm is a little on the small side IMO, if the rails are two thin it won't be as strong, and be uncomfortable on the hands.

You certainly can use the set up for everything, but if you want to do handstands it might be a bit high.

It takes a little experimenting to find the width you like, but start by just holding your hands like you are doing a support hold and measure that.

For the set i made, i went so the bars came to the top of my shoulders to allow ground clearance for swings, Russian dips etc. Of course you can just bend your knees, but i just think that the extra height helps with body line awareness.

I've built them some time ago: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi ... =10&t=4495

As mentioned, I only use them for static work.

1.) yes

2.)I also used 2"

3.)Mine are also shoulder-width apart.

Have fun!

I am interested in the one you built. It seems different to mine. Is it more stable? THe one i came across certainly looks easier to build (and cheaper, some of those connectors are expensive).

Johann Wimmer

I've incorporated the larger base and the angled support so that i can use them for russian dips going below parallel.