EDIT: So I found out today I have actually injured myself. It is a long story, to do with my scapula and the surrounding muscles. I still need a proper evaluation but it means I wont be able to use the shoulder for a short time, and then Ill need to rehabilitate my shoulder again. So maybe a month until I can start working out again. I am incredibly frustrated, all of my injuries are getting me down. Atleast it isnt serious now
In the mean time I will keep on doing my cardio work. I'll work on my flexibility during this time as well. I have a home gym with a power rack, pullup bar, rings. Is there anything else I can do during my recovery? It can be anything that doesnt involve my left shoulder too much. Is there any core work I could do? Cheers for any advise.
-original message:
Hey guys new here.
I have Coach Sommers book and some rings on the way and I look forward to getting started. Ill read the book tomorrow, I started it today. I do not want to become a gymnast. I just want to use ring training and some parallette work in a fitness programme. I have experience with powerlifting training but I do not plan ro restart this.
I have a few concerns with using some gymnastic training.
1) I am 6'3" 85kg, roughly 12%bodyfat. My limbs are quite long, especially my legs. Is this a potential problem for injury? Do I need to be more careful or is it just that some things might be a bit harder? Gymnasts tend to be about 1 foot shorter than me
2) I am extremely inflexible. For example if I try touching my toes with locked knees I can get to just below my knees and I think it helps I have large hands with long fingers. I have read on here that you should start with 1 30 minute serious stretching session. Then when it stops hurting you do 2 and increase it. Does anyone have any guidance for this?
3) This is actually my main concern. 1 year ago (28 jan 2011) I broke my scapula in 2 different places. My left scapula. So I wore a sling and went through physio. The doctor said 6 months until it heals and 8 months until I could go back into sport. I had a check up after a few months and he said it had pretty much healed by then and it looked ok. I have taken time off of sport until december 2011. Just some cycling and running nothing serious. Something in my shoulder still feels a bit odd, like it isnt quite right. I dont know if its just weak. It doesnt hurt during the exercise really, just feels a bit weak sometimes. It is always more painful after a workout, it experience DOMS more.
4) Elbow and Knee crunching. It is not like a clicking finger or joint. It is lots of little cracks. With my knee for example, if I am standing up and do a quad stretch by bending my knee and pulling my leg back, there is no crunching. If I am lying down and I bend my knee, there is no crunching. If I squat, it crunches after a certain point, if I lunge it crunches as well. I dont know when my elbow does it, but its the same noise as knees. Lots of little cracks that dont go away like other cracks.
I do also have clicky joint anyway. My fingers, elbows, hip, back, feet, toes all click. Single clicks that are like clicking fingers. I never click on purpose, it just happens throughout the day when I move about
none of this causes any pain
Appreciate any help