Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the good word on __________?

ryantherobot

Basically I'm interested in compiling a list of foods that are considered good -vs- bad. Primarily because some of the things I eat are not the norm as a result of my location.

So whats the happenstance on:

Dark Meat Chicken

Soy Milk -vs- Regular Irradiated Milk

White Eggs -vs- Brown Eggs

Coconut Water

Taro

Breadfruit

Starfruit

Mangoes

Canned Tuna vs Fresh Tuna

Canned Mackerel

Canned Sardines

Also is a tin of Peanuts an adequate source of protein, I know its not the best but its available and within my means to purchase. (ingredients in the tin are: peanuts, salt, vegetable oil)

Thanks.

Ok, I'll try and help out. A general thing on all foods, organic is better, like George (one of the mods) has stated we haven't evolved to eat high amounts of carbs but we haven't evolved to eat anti-biotics and hormones either! Now, I know it's sometimes impossible to go completely organic, but try.

Now, I'll expand upon some organic options. GET Omega-3 enriched eggs, I have only ever seen ones which are free range and free of hormones, etc and they are only about twice as expensive as cage eggs at my supermarket (so about $6 a dozen) and they are really good for you. Wild Game is a good option. I am lucky in that I live in Australia which has Kangaroo, which is all wild, as expensive as a steak (about $14/kg) and environmentally friendly! complete win!

Next, you mentioned some canned food in your list. Well obviously it would almost always be better to get none canned, fresh food but it can be a viable option. Fresh fish is expensive! I buy cans of tuna for lunch at school. With canned foods make sure their good quality, no spam, and your getting the best bang for your buck and not a heap of additives and salt, flavourings, etc.

Now onto some of the specific foods you mentioned)-

soy milk VS regular irradiated milk: Soy milk is crap, I can't citie any studies or anything but it isn't good (hopefully someone else can help me out with this one), I do know it is a poor source for protein

(get whey) PWO as it digests slowly or inefficiently. Regular milk? I've heard raw is best, I would not advise consuming large amounts of any milk.

Mangoes: Are a fruit, so yes there good but have a fair bit of sugar. Eat them but keep that in mind.

That's about all I know for the ones you've listed. I don't like to talk about things I know nothing about.

Regards,

Ed

Nut/legume butters have a decent amount of fat ( which is mostly oil, hopefully not hydrogenated ), calories and protein. I eat them when I am ultra broke but I can go through PB&J pretty fast with a loaf of bread. It's not what I prefer to eat.

Soy milk is an extremely highly processed food. Or gunk. If you can digest milk, your better off there especially if it's preferably raw. If you cannot digest cow milk, you could try goat milk if you can find it or lactose free milk ( which can be expensive or you can take lactose digesting tablets which are between the total cost of regular milk and lactose free milk ( about 2x as expensive as regular ).

Ido and some others will probably disagree on my stance on milk. Right now I find it to be a commidity that I can afford and get a lot of nutrition out of with no side effects or detriments I can find. I have yet to go truly Paleo diet.

Cage free eggs. Let those chickens eat bugs. I'm not sure feeding chickens scraps of fish ( probably farm fish ) is worth it though.

Fruit is good, just don't overdo it.

I can't stand canned fish so I take fish oil. I've been thinking of researching what fish I could eat raw and cover my Omega 3/DHA-EPA's instead for not a significant cost.

I can't comment on the difference between brown and regular eggs as it escapes me off hand or light and dark meat. Mmm, poultry. Chicken be really cheap, except that it doesn't have much fat or calories as all compared to other meats.

What is Roo Ed?

Also I posted certain things more wanting to know which is the better of those two not some third option that I simply don't have.

Whey Protein, Regular Milk, and Goat Milk just aren't available. Its either Soy Milk or Irradiated Whole Milk (Anchor Whole Milk to be precise, I'm sure the Australian knows it)

All the chicken I eat is Free Range I believe but Dark Meat.

Well, like Steven said Roo is Kangaroo, and Ed is my name :P .

Ok, down to business. I would go with the whole milk, as I said Soy isn't a real healthy food*. Whole Milk is a source of Whey Protein so that's a plus but don't go overboard with Milk no matter what the source. Free range is much better than caged, in any food choice, if people argue it doesn't make that much of a difference think of it like this who's gonna be healthier, freer of disease, etc a human who eats good food and exercises more or a human who eats crap and sits around all day. And not trying to go all PETA on you or anything but it's pretty horrible for the animals, it REALLY stuffs up their mental state as well. By dark meat do you mean red meat (beef) as opposed to white meat (chicken)? As for eggs I don't know, but try and get one's that meet the 'criteria' I said in my previous post.

I asked my friend about the different colored eggs and he said eggs come in different colors, including blue and green(?!). Brown eggs are just more rare than white eggs.

Blairbob, not to bring this thread off topic, but where did you hear about the eggs from. The only reason I ask is because I was told that most chicken eggs are brown, but get dyed white, however I've never lived on a farm so I don't know. (I'm a curious little monkey)

Blairbob, not to bring this thread off topic, but where did you hear about the eggs from. The only reason I ask is because I was told that most chicken eggs are brown, but get dyed white, however I've never lived on a farm so I don't know. (I'm a curious little monkey)

It's matter of what the chickens eat too. If the chickens are free range and eat "good healthy grain", grasshoppers and other insects and stuff the egg are more brown and have a harder shell.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0119524024110.html

So apparently they range worldwide as to eggshell color.

I just asked my friend about eggshell color. His mom gets his egg from a neighborhood egg farm. You can buy them there or at the Farmer's market.

I did read that dark brown colored eggs have a better shell quality than lightly brown colored eggs. Dunno.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.