Yup, another beginner in need of advice

Started by Patrick Poblocki, December 26, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,497 Views

Patrick Poblocki

Hi all. I'm new here and would greatly appreciate some direction. I have BTGB book and I've read it over and over. I've also looked through the discussion boards, read all the articles that relate to a beginner, and searched for topics most relevant to my needs. That said, I still have some questions :D

My largest point of confusion comes with programming. I've seen many go back and forth over creating one's own programming, following the wods, or just progressing through all the fsp in some sort of logical manner.

I've decided to tackle the wods. I like variety. I don't trust my own judgement. I want something tried and true. Sounds all good to me.

And here's my conflict. I'm still not sure if my time would be better spent focusing on FSPs and FBEs in my own template and of course based on the book's progressions (I'd use SSC for this option) , or just following the wods. (trust me, I'm not saying I'd program better than coach, but I just don't know if the wods are appropriate for me and my strength level yet...) I thought I might give you and idea of my current strength levels, what I was thinking about doing in-terms of my own programming, then hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this question.

So, I have the following stats (really sad after years of crossfitting and doing linear strength work. Damn I suck...)

FL tuck: 16 seconds

Advanced Frog: 20 sec

Lsit: 30 sec

BL tuck 25 sec

HS hold: 30 sec

That's all that I've tested with FSP. But I checked a few FSE:

L pull ups: 5

Box HeSPU: 8

Body Weight rows on rings: 10

I can also do 3 SLS if I'm on an elevated box or block so my straight leg can sag a bit.

I was able to do about 5 kipping muscle ups while crossfiting, but I am nowhere near a strict one. In fact, I fall pretty quickly through the transition when doing a negative MU.

With those numbers, I thought I'd do the following:

M: HS holds for 3 minutes, Advanced Frog 9X7 sec., FL tuck 9 X 7 sec.; followed by 3 X 5 of each: Lsit pull ups with 3 X 5 PPPU

T: HS holds for 3 minutes, Advanced Frog 9X7 sec., FL tuck 9 X 7 sec.; followed by 3 X 5 HeSPU neg with 3 X 5 BW ring rows

Th: HS holds for 3 minutes, Advanced Frog 9X7 sec., FL tuck 9 X 7 sec.; followed by 3 X 5 negative MU

F: HS holds for 3 minutes, Advanced Frog 9X7 sec., FL tuck 9 X 7 sec.; followed by 3 X 5 SLS with 3 X 5 NRL Negative, finished with explosive jumps/box jumps/depth jumps OR sprints

Or, Should I just follow the wod?

Or, should I follow the wod, but also include additional FSPs?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this. I know it's a repetitive question. But, everyone is different. Thanks for the advice!!

Pat

Blairbob

What are your goals? Some level of conditioning or just linear BW strength? Coming from CF and linear strength you probably have something of adequate lower body strength, right (1.5xBW BS/DL, 1xBW FS?) Are you only interested in lower body work 1/week?

If you scaled the WODs correctly, you are probably strong enough to make them work. If you're just going to do the WOD, it's probably a good idea to do the preFSP series as a WU. If you can't do all of them for 60s, well...you're not strong (except for german hang which is more of a flexibility exercise).

Have you taken a look at the Killroy70 template? http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

Patrick Poblocki

Sorry I didn't mention that. My goals are 1) lose body fat, 2) increase my strength to weight ratio/primarily just get stronger moving my own body through space, 3) do cool stuff like strict MU, Press to Handstands, handstand walks, etc. I'm not overly concerned with conditioning right now. CF seemed to suck the life out of me and my desire to develop increased work capacity in a competitive sense is pretty much gone. That said, I've never really tapped into the gymnastics area, so I have a long way to go with the progressions. I'd love to get a full planche some day, for instance.

After a few years with CF, I've worked up to a 380 deadlift and a 280 squat and a 150 lb press. I'm 5' 7" and 180 lbs (prob 18 - 20 % body fat). I know that losing fat is primarily diet, and i know what I have to do. So, I'm eating primarily paleo with some IF. I've been down to 150 lbs when doing Zone + Paleo, but I've really fallen off the rails since then. I understand that strength will come from my training and decreased BF and lower weight will come through diet.

I've honestly been confused about the frequency of lower body training. The weekly wods only hit lower body 1 x per week. The reason I'm moving away from CF and barbell/olympic training in general is that I keep injuring my lower back when squating. I have tight hams and have a epic "butt wink". I have been rehabbing my sacroiliac joint. So, I'm more than happy to move to body weight movements as they seem to be therapeutic versus inflammatory.

I will look at the Killroy70 template. Thank you for the link. I saw it mentioned in the boards, but never found the specific routine.

I really appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Pat

Blairbob

Killroy70 sounds right up your alley or the GB WOD. The daily WOD can be somewhat metabolic. Of course, you just insert whatever lower body work into K70 pretty easily be it sprints, KB, plyo, ham work, etc. Your lower body strength is fairly good and established.

Of course you just program K70 and do some lower body work coupled with ag walks (see the video on youtube) and HS holds or wall runs to hit mini metcons.

Patrick Poblocki

Cool! Let's see if this makes sense: I will begin this journey by building a solid base. For me, this means a killroy type program to build a strength foundation in fsps and fbes. Here's my idea:

Every day: fsp-prereq wu, then planche, front lever, and handstand progressions. Each totaling 60 sec of work, except hs, which I'll start at 3 minutes of total work and ad 30 sec per week

Then,

Day1: horizontal push / pull, core: lsit and bridge

Day 2: pullup and hespu progression, legs: sls and nlc progression

Day3: row/dip progression, core: lsit and bridge

Day 4: multi plain: mu, chest rolls, and/or hs press progressions: explosive leg moves and/ or sprints

I think I have a solid understanding of the progressions for ssc training. I think this fits my goals well. I also do some prefab/ mobility work before each workout.

So does this seem solid? I would like to have a series of strict mu and a press to handstand before graduating to a more advanced program like the daily wods.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Blairbob

Looks good.

+30s/week for HS may be a bit ambitious. Try it out. You will probably hit a point where you basically linear to the amount sustainable.

Patrick Poblocki

Cool, thanks!