Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighting LSit/Straddle L long term

Jon Douglas

I've discovered I have a stronger L-sit than I expected, hitting 20-30 seconds with 2kg on each foot. I've also managed a workable FX straddle L with 10 seconds the same weighting.

I am currently dong a 30second fx lsit and a couple of shorter sets of straddle l in my warmups.

My question re L-sit is, will I be better served putting the time and energy into developing my front lever and eventually weighting that? Or is working up to the same regular 30second set with the weights going to be help me along towards it? Core strength is not generally an issue for me.

With a little pondering, I can see working weighted straddle ls to be more applicable, in terms of active flexibility and hip str.

What is anyone's experience with weighting these (or other levers)? Is that something worth pursuing in your opinion? Is there much carryover from weighted to unweighted times, providing that significant time has been reached weighted?

4kg is not very much, but the leverage is so bad I can't see too much progression in my future for these, I'm no mutant. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Joshua Naterman

You would want to go up a teaspoon of sand at a time, not paying attention to weight at all. You are looking for the very slightest change in perceived effort, nothing more. You only add 1 teaspoon per workout, and keep adding teaspoons until you feel that difference, then stick with that for a while until it's too easy for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is that? Why would I not want to quite deliberately keep track of the weight, weigh myself down to say working sets of 15 seconds and build on a steady state cycle?

Quick Start Test Smith

Adding a tiny bit of sand every workout has a strangely charming attraction to it... sort of feels like you're Jackie Chan, Danny Larusso, or Rocky :D

Joshua Naterman
Why is that? Why would I not want to quite deliberately keep track of the weight, weigh myself down to say working sets of 15 seconds and build on a steady state cycle?

Because weight has no meaning. The only thing that matters is being able to perform your lift correctly. If you want to go buy a scale that measures to .01 grams or whatever and keep written records of the weight as it goes up that's totally fine, but that's a lot of daily tedium. If you don't mind then go for it, but what I would do is check the weight every 2-3 months out of curiosity but other than that I would just stick to my regular hold times and add weight slowly and in very small increments.

SSC is for bodyweight leverage exercises, and it is the least inefficient way to control for the fact that we simply do not have ounce by ounce control of bodyweight. You'd be talking about fractions of a degree, impossible to perform with consistency. If we COULD do that, it would be preferable to SSC as it exists currently but that is quite literally impossible to do. SSC is the best you are going to get for a progressively decreasing leverage exercise like planche or the levers.

As far as the L and straddle L go, they are much higher leverage exercises and once you are in the final position you can start using external loads if you like. Once you are using external loading in a given position, ounce by ounce control is possible AND preferable.

It is highly inefficient to go from 15 seconds up to 60s holds and then back to 15s and repeat this because you are training completely different motor groups. We don't have any good alternatives when it comes to the levers and planche because we can't control loading precisely. With external loading you can, so performing work sets of 30-40s with a slightly increasing load (teaspoon at a time, fractions of an ounce) and continually working the same timeframe is far better. You won't compromise your form, which is very key, and you will always be maintaining your endurance which is the most important thing when training the stabilizing muscles (which is a big part of all of the FSP, that is why you should always have at least 1 easier long hold 1-2 days per week)

Joshua Naterman

No problem.

Take my opinion as what it is, simply a different opinion :) There is nothing inherently wrong with what you are considering doing, as long as you can maintain perfect form.