Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Protein to carbs conversion

whiteshift

I've been searching previous posts regarding optimal carbs intake, and read that around 37% of ingested proteins are converted into carbs if the protein is consumed without sufficient carbohydrates, particularly glucose.

If we say that I am consuming 190g of protein a day, which is a hell of a lot for me, I need to be consuming around 70g(that's 37%) of glucose along with the whey that I sip (or slower carbs along with casein) to try and minimize the protein loss.

Sorry if I quoted that out of context

So, let's see if I got that straight. I vary the amount of carbs I eat with each PWO meal, but let's say I have 40g carbs from fruits and 30g protein. Should I be eating 10g of glucose/slower carbs (depending on the protein) on top of that?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

All carbs are glucose, the differences are which glucose molecule(s) (alpha or beta, or both) they're made of and the structure. When they enter your body, though, they all get broken down into alpha or beta glucose. The only difference that eating different types of carbs (but in the same quantity) makes is how quickly you'll digest it (simple carbs digest quicker; pure glucose is the fastest) and how much energy you'll expend digesting it (complex carbs require the most energy to digest (although I don't think the difference is that great, certainly not big enough to worry about)). If you're going to eat slow digesting carbs I'd eat them pre-workout and if you're going to eat fast digesting carbs I'd eat them during or after (or both).

• 1 month later...
Larry Roseman
I've been searching previous posts regarding optimal carbs intake, and read that around 37% of ingested proteins are converted into carbs if the protein is consumed without sufficient carbohydrates, particularly glucose.
If we say that I am consuming 190g of protein a day, which is a hell of a lot for me, I need to be consuming around 70g(that's 37%) of glucose along with the whey that I sip (or slower carbs along with casein) to try and minimize the protein loss.

Sorry if I quoted that out of context

So, let's see if I got that straight. I vary the amount of carbs I eat with each PWO meal, but let's say I have 40g carbs from fruits and 30g protein. Should I be eating 10g of glucose/slower carbs (depending on the protein) on top of that?

Thanks in advance.

Actually over 50% of ingested complete proteins are processed by the liver into useful bio-active components such as hormones and enzymes, and if necessary glycogen and fatty acids. However BCAAs are not processed by the liver and are passed on to the muscles. There, depending on need they may be used for muscle building/repair, oxidized for energy or converted into several other non-essential amino acids.

Typically in a healthy person 2-5% protein is oxidized for energy in the resting state. During exercise it can go up much higher depending on the type of exercise, intensity, nutritive and physiologic state (whether recently fed or glycogen depleted for example). In this case, some of the amino acids oxidized may be derived from existing muscle tissue rather than circulation (free amino acid pool). However, they will typically be restored following feeding preserving lean muscle tissue.

Typically more than enough BCAA are presented and in circulation following meals for muscular protein purposes. But certainly its better or at least easier on your body to get your basic glucose requirements from carbs rather than protein.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.