I have read very good things about this site and this kind off workouts.
I am a 51 year old martial artist and since the age off 15 I have practice all kind off martial arts. Since that I dont compete anymore I like to focus and work on things that I think will work in a real streetfight (Jeet Kune Do in my case).
Every monday evening I teach a group off adults the things that I have learned true all these years.
Since Internet I am quit confused about my supplementary training (strength, conditioning etc.)
I have tried so many routines with weights, without weights, bodybuilding routines etc. but most off the time I ended up beiing so sore or didnt have any energy left to train my martial arts the next day. So the only things that I did was the supplementary training.
When I was younger and did compete I never have done so mych strength etc. Just did the normal push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, some cartwheels and handstands for fun and running two times a week.
I dont have time to train everday for hours because I have a full-time job, a family etc.
But off course I want to be as good shape as I can.
So after thinking much about it I came to the conclusion to stop with weights and to focus on bodyweight exercises.
I have read a lott about the bar-barians workouts (www.bar-barians.com) and I like that kind off training very much. I dont think that I need all these workous with weights etc. I think its because I never did when I was younger and I have never had the feeling that I needed it then.
Then I came about this site and I have read that there is a book out so I am very interested.
I have a few queations:
Are there any routines in that book that I can follow and that leaves enough energy and time left for my martial arts training?
Because I dont have hours a day to workout. I ask this because in the forum I read so much qestions about how to make a workout, how to stretch etc, so I wonder if this is not in that book.
Because I read to that most off the users follow the WOD. is that because the workouts in the book are not enough?
When I read the WOD's I dont get the feeling that it is simple to follow with all these names off exercises etc. Are all these exercises (for the WOD) explained in the book?
Do I need special equiment for these workouts because I can do dips, pul-ups etc but I dont know if I need other things.
How much time do you have to spend on all these exercises, off course I know that sometimes it takes more time then other times but just in general.
I think that mastering the body, espaccily the planche and that kind off stuff would be great for martial arts because you have to have total controll off your body. As I said before, I am 51, in reasonable shape becaues I always have trained but the most off the times martial arts, is it possible for me to porgress to the full planche etc?
Can I combine the workouts in the book (or the WOD's) with my martial arts training and running? How do you guys think off running?
Last question, I like pull-ups and dips etc because it give me a special feeling off strength. Are these the kind off exercises that are in the book to?
When you read Bar-barians they do about 100 to 200 pull-ups a day, 100 to 200 push-ups, 100 orso dips, 500 squats etc.
I read that the coach say to build up to a rep range off 5.
Do you still get stronger that way? Or is this all explained in the book?
Okay, thats all. Hope somebody can clear something up because what I have read so far I am very interested in this kind off training but I am not a gymnastic but a martial artist. And I dont hink its wise to spend training these kinds off workouts more then practicing martial arts.
Sorry for the bad writing by the way, its hard for me to write in a different language, I am from the Netherelands, do maybay some questions look stupid on paper but I hope you guys can see true it and can give me some advice.
Thanks in advantege.