Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stand alone pull up bars

Bruno Cochofel

Todd Sprenkle

I'd like to point out that a new 'elite' model is now available on the trapezerigging.com web site. The elite model is substantially more expensive, but is taller (92") and has an added stabilization base. Just yesterday I ordered one for myself -- in order to be able to work towards doing bar muscle-ups -- and to be able to set it up on the back deck of my house or elsewhere.

[i already have multiple pairs of rings suspended from post-hole-digger-wood-handles-reinforced 10 foot spans of PVC parallel and adjacent to the ceiling of my living room. Currently in my mid-sixties -- and never having discovered the fun of gymnastics at an earlier age -- I'm enjoying what I expect to be a very long-term learning process to see what I can achieve.]

Is it safe for the rings?

I have my rings on it, and it does the job (I am 163cm, 54kg).

It's worth mentioning that the bar isn't wide enough to practice the cross, but for many static holds and things like handstands and pushups it's great.

The bar has slight movement, but one gets used to its personality very quickly; it's a stable and well made item. It was designed for circus performers and acrobats initially.

Bruno Cochofel
It's worth mentioning that the bar isn't wide enough to practice the cross, but for many static holds and things like handstands and pushups it's great.

I believe the problem with not being able to do an iron cross will definitely be because of me :D

Anyway, I was only taking ideas because I'm thinking of doing onw. Since that can also be used as a dip station, maybe I can adapt another structure and make also parallel bars, so one bar can extend to become higher for the rings and I can also use it for p-bars swings and dips...

Have to see what will cost that.

Thx

Bruno Cochofel
You're going to spend $250 on a few metal pipes and connectors :?

Well, I will spend $100 only for them to deliver the item to europe, so I'll give it a try and see how much it will cost...

Joshua Naterman
I'd like to point out that a new 'elite' model is now available on the trapezerigging.com web site. The elite model is substantially more expensive, but is taller (92") and has an added stabilization base. Just yesterday I ordered one for myself -- in order to be able to work towards doing bar muscle-ups -- and to be able to set it up on the back deck of my house or elsewhere.

[i already have multiple pairs of rings suspended from post-hole-digger-wood-handles-reinforced 10 foot spans of PVC parallel and adjacent to the ceiling of my living room. Currently in my mid-sixties -- and never having discovered the fun of gymnastics at an earlier age -- I'm enjoying what I expect to be a very long-term learning process to see what I can achieve.]

That sounds awesome! It would be great if you could post some pics of your set-up!

Aaron Griffin

I'd wonder if this would provide me a decent, non-destructive way to hang my rings higher in my apartment :S

Todd Sprenkle

slizzardman wrote:

"That sounds awesome! It would be great if you could post some pics of your set-up!"

I'm not set up to capture pictures or video, but will consider doing that sometime soon.

I assume that what you are curious about seeing is the rings setup that I mentioned. The PVC pipes are suspended between two power towers, such that nothing is fastened to the room itself. I also didn't use any adhesive anywhere in the setup. The forces are such that the whole thing holds together. It is not totally rigid, but I'm comfortable enough with it to do unobstructed Tick-Tocks and 360 Pulls, for example, from the pair of rings suspended from the middle of the 10 foot span. I have this setup in my living room because it is the only room in my house with 9 foot high ceilings. [Well, this entire setup is probably also only acceptable because I currently live alone.]

The elite model pull-up bar that I ordered from trapezerigging.com is scheduled to be delivered on December 12.

I'm about to order the Elite bar....to use with my USA (Universal Strength Apparatus)...I have a pair of rings but like this better.....I'm planning on anchoring the base with 2 (50lbs) plates....I'm thinking with anchoring the base I should be able to do most every exercise outside the vertical plane....we'll see....

Bruno Cochofel

Sliz, if I may ask, how much did it cost doing your parallel bars? Do you think it's possible to do something like that stand alone pull up bar with your kind of setup? Maybe with a god base for support I can do one with 2.30 meters and 1.50 meters width...

I had a very smiliar one made out of pieces normally used for a industrial storage system.The cost for the material used was less than 100 EURO, so it was pretty cheap all in all.

Todd Sprenkle

I'm posting these pictures to satisfy slizzardman's curiosity. I've had fun building and using this setup, but I doubt that anyone else would bother to reproduce it. I think that the trapezerigging.com Elite pull-up bar is likely to be a more practical solution for most people. [i'm getting one delivered tomorrow.]

The first picture shows an overall viewpoint from the frontmost (white) power tower to the backmost (black) power tower. The front pair of rings (black Extreme rings) are down low, the middle pair of rings (the clear Elite rings) are set at a height such that ring support and ring Tick Tocks can be achieved without touching the ceiling, and the back pair of rings (the black Elite rings) are set at a height to work the muscle-up transition.

The second picture shows a view looking straight up at the center pair of rings. You can see the two LifelineUSA Pullup Revolution assists that I'm using until I fully develop the muscle-up transition.

The third picture shows a viewpoint from front of the center towards the backmost (black) power tower.

The fourth picture shows a viewpoint from the center towards the frontmost (white) power tower.

No adhesive is used. The 2-inch diameter support posts in the middle are just used to prevent sagging of the overhead 10-foot spans of 2-inch diameter PVC. Each of those 10-foot spans of PVC are reinforced inside with three connected post-hole-digger-wood-handles.

Joshua Naterman

That is outstandingly creative, and most definitely the kind of thing that would probably not have a long life in a shared home hahaha!

Do you live on your own or do you have an awesome wife or roommate or other person who is ok with that set up in the middle of the room? Maybe you're just the boss like that? Whatever's going on, that is very cool!

Todd Sprenkle
slizzardman wrote:

"That is outstandingly creative, and most definitely the kind of thing that would probably not have a long life in a shared home hahaha!

Do you live on your own or do you have an awesome wife or roommate or other person who is ok with that set up in the middle of the room? Maybe you're just the boss like that? Whatever's going on, that is very cool!"

Hahaha is the right sentiment, but you seem to have missed my previous comment in this thread:

"[Well, this entire setup is probably also only acceptable because I currently live alone.]"

It seems highly unlikely that a potential wife would put up with something like this. I have been well aware that this setup is temporary -- and disposable. It can be moved to a different room, even one with a lower ceiling. The cost was minimal. I've enjoyed building it and using it, but I'll consider tossing it if the Elite pull-up bar that I've ordered turns out to be sufficient.

Bruno Cochofel
I'm posting these pictures to satisfy slizzardman's curiosity. I've had fun building and using this setup, but I doubt that anyone else would bother to reproduce it. I think that the trapezerigging.com Elite pull-up bar is likely to be a more practical solution for most people. [i'm getting one delivered tomorrow.]

The first picture shows an overall viewpoint from the frontmost (white) power tower to the backmost (black) power tower. The front pair of rings (black Extreme rings) are down low, the middle pair of rings (the clear Elite rings) are set at a height such that ring support and ring Tick Tocks can be achieved without touching the ceiling, and the back pair of rings (the black Elite rings) are set at a height to work the muscle-up transition.

The second picture shows a view looking straight up at the center pair of rings. You can see the two LifelineUSA Pullup Revolution assists that I'm using until I fully develop the muscle-up transition.

The third picture shows a viewpoint from front of the center towards the backmost (black) power tower.

The fourth picture shows a viewpoint from the center towards the frontmost (white) power tower.

No adhesive is used. The 2-inch diameter support posts in the middle are just used to prevent sagging of the overhead 10-foot spans of 2-inch diameter PVC. Each of those 10-foot spans of PVC are reinforced inside with three connected post-hole-digger-wood-handles.

The setup for the rings, is it confortable to work like inside that "tunnel"? did you ever tried with the rings perpendicular to the structure?

Todd Sprenkle

blackcat wrote:

"The setup for the rings, is it confortable to work like inside that "tunnel"? did you ever tried with the rings perpendicular to the structure?"

I find it comfortable to work within the "tunnel" (as you call it). The inner support posts can be moved or removed if they get in the way of straddle maneuvers, for example. Note that I'm not working towards an iron cross. It seems to me that iron cross would be best practiced on a setup that has a much higher suspension point, anyway. [i did add the white yoga straps to limit separation of the two 10 foot spans from each other. Working towards iron cross would tend to force them apart.]

I haven't tried maneuvers with the rings perpendicular to the structure -- although I can see how that would be a possibility.

-----

On a separate note, I received the trapezerigging.com Elite chin-up bar today. I am very impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship. Upon inspection of each of the 8 pieces (plus 4 locking pins), I found them to be quite beautiful. The first thing I did was put all the parts in the (optional) bag and put the bag in the trunk of my car -- to make sure that everything fits. [it does.] I then assembled the full-height chin-up bar and did some simple tucked Tick-Tocks.

The bottom rear stabilization bar and the pull-up bar are solid metal. The other pieces are relatively thick-walled metal tubes. So each part is quite rigid. But when the full height pull-up bar is assembled, there is a certain amount of instability introduced -- specifically because of the extra tolerance in the two sockets on each side -- one socket where the lower vertical tube joins the horizontal base and another socket where the upper vertical tube joins the lower vertical tube. The extra tolerance facilitates easy assembly and disassembly, at the price of introducing the slight instability. But just knowing from personal inspection how well-made and solid each piece is, I am quite accepting of the slight instability. [Of course, I'm also already used to some instability in the PVC-based rings setup that I've been using for the last year or so.]

The instructions are printed on thick paper. There are no pictures or diagrams, but assembly is simple enough to not require them. The instructions do need some updating with regard to mention of the number of holes in the various pipes.

If you strictly follow the instructions, the maximum height of the pull-up bar (with pins both above and below) ends up being about 90 inches, but I find it also satisfactory to have the pull-up bar at the advertised maximum 92 inches (with no pin above).

Also received my Elite bar today from Trapezerigging...like Todd mentioned....it is very well made and you can tell he put's a lot of pride into his work. I attached my USA's and did some dips and chins...worked excellent....I'm used to the instability so no issues there...I did some non vertical moves and it held up well....anchored with the 2 (50lb) plates...I'll lower it some from the max height to reduce some stress when doing this....this is a great bar....great price....very lightweight....very strong...would look kick ass on a beach :)

• 2 years later...
Mike Hernandez

Has anyone that is 6'2"(188cm) or taller purchased the Elite XL Freestanding Pull Up Bar?  

I just stumbled across this thread and I am seriously contemplating one of these for my F1 training. I like the idea of being able to keep my rings fixed and not have to take them to and from the gym.   I was curious as to how stable this is for RC training using rings.  And would this be something I would continue to use into F2 and so on?  Thanks.

Mike

Todd Sprenkle

Mike,

My height is only 5'8". I've been using the Elite XL for a few of the F1 and F2 exercises, currently F1 MN/PE6 (with a long 2"-wide webbing wrapped 3 widths around the Elite XL to stabilize my back like would be done with stall bars) and RC/PE6 as well as F2 HBP/PE7. As I mentioned earlier, there is some instability -- for example, when doing dips -- but there seems to be no danger of the unit tipping over -- and the slight instability may build extra strength, as is the case when using rings anywhere.

Mike Hernandez

Mike,

My height is only 5'8". I've been using the Elite XL for a few of the F1 and F2 exercises, currently F1 MN/PE6 (with a long 2"-wide webbing wrapped 3 widths around the Elite XL to stabilize my back like would be done with stall bars) and RC/PE6 as well as F2 HBP/PE7. As I mentioned earlier, there is some instability -- for example, when doing dips -- but there seems to be no danger of the unit tipping over -- and the slight instability may build extra strength, as is the case when using rings anywhere.

Todd,

So the dip bar feature of this unit is sufficient to complete the dip work for HBP/PE5-PE6?  There is a dip bar at my gym, but I believe it is too short for my legs unless I keep them slightly bent ( the athlete in the video appears to have straight legs).  And what about Korean dips?

Also, for leaning rows in RC training, there is no fear to the unit tipping over either? 

Thanks!

Mike

Todd Sprenkle

> So the dip bar feature of this unit is sufficient to complete the dip work for HBP/PE5-PE6?

Those two exercises use parallel bars or a substitute, rather than a single bar. I did those exercises at a 24-Hour Fitness gym that I go to -- and used the piece of equipment that most people do leg lifts on while resting their forearms on pads. I instead gripped the tube ends that stick out beyond the pads -- which are essentially about 4" long parallel bars.

> There is a dip bar at my gym, but I believe it is too short for my legs unless I keep them slightly bent

For HBP/PE5-PE6, I think it is fine to keep your legs bent.

> And what about Korean dips?

I haven't tried those yet, but I don't foresee any problem with doing those on the Elite XL.

> Also, for leaning rows in RC training, there is no fear to the unit tipping over either? 

As I mentioned in an earlier reply in this thread, I use a different setup for my rings. I haven't needed to try rings on the Elite XL, so I can't really answer your questions about that based on experience. [i purchased the Elite XL primarily for single bar exercises and for the portability.]