Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Backoff period and WODs

nf46

Should backoff periods be part of the WODs? If so, then how could they be implemented? It seems like one would have to cut the volume every nth time a specific workout comes up since the WODs are on such a long cycle. Or perhaps this is unnecessary; I notice that rep-set schemes seem to vary in a set pattern on dynamic days, and perhaps a backoff is programmed here.

Any replies are, as always, much appreciated :)

Nick

Quick Start Test Smith

I think Ido Portal (and others) strongly encourage very consistent trainees to either halve the set # every third workout or third week. I'm not sure which...

Vincent Stoyas

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that a deloading phase is indeed programmed into the WODs.

I'm under the impression, too, that you deload every three weeks. I think you're getting the every third workout from the bulgarian circuits, but those are probably beyond most of us.

Coach has said for his own athletes he has them take a backoff week every 3 weeks. So 3 weeks on, 4th week@50%.

For those on the GB cycle, I doubt it's needed. Perhaps take a week off after a full cycle which is roughly one month.

The deloading of the various training components (dynamic, max, legs, HS etc) is already built into the basic GB WOD template. No backoff week is required after completing a month long cycle. Why would you need to rest from resting?

The need of a 4th week deload week would be strongly predicated upon the intensity of work being performed, the volume of work being performed and the strength level of the athlete in question.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I am sorry if this seems silly, but it sounds like very usful information. What are you all talking about. Deloading? I don't understand, but if it will help me i would like to. Can someone help me out?

Vincent Stoyas
I am sorry if this seems silly, but it sounds like very usful information. What are you all talking about. Deloading? I don't understand, but if it will help me i would like to. Can someone help me out?

Deloading is doing 50% of your workout in order for your body to catch up with what you've been putting it through. Every 4th week in an SSC should be a deloading phase. For example, if you were doing 5x5 push ups then you would scale it down to 2 or 3x5 or even 1x10. The same for your FSPs, if you're holding an L sit for 20 seconds then that week you should only hold it for 10 seconds and for half of the sets.

... Every 4th week in an SSC should be a deloading phase ...

While the basic description of deloading are correct, mentioning it in association with SSC (steady state cycle) is incorrect. When utilizing a SSC the load and volume should remain consistent through the entire 8-12 week cycle. It is the body's physiological adaptations to the training that result in RPE (rate of perceived effort) of overload, load and underload.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer