Where do I even start???

Started by Cannon Turner, November 23, 2011 · 7 Replies · 2,656 Views

Cannon Turner

Hey guys--

I have a good fitness background (Brazillian jiu jitsu, weight training) and want to start gymnastic training....thing is, the WOD's look a bit over my head. What's a good program to start with? Anyone have a

Good schedule?

Thanks...

Michael Miskelly

Do you have the book? Scaling the WOD is easy if you do. Just pick an easier variation of whatever coach says. On ring series days do basic strength 1, 2 or 3 depending on you strength. Once you can do basic strength 3 you should be able to attempt the any series coach posts by scaling back on the progressions and reps.

If you dont have the book you could follow Killroy's template

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1957

Cannon Turner

Thanks...

I do have the book...so just scale Down on each skill of the wod? Sounds good...how many a week--4?

Didn't know if I needed to work on the static stuff (to achieve a certain time) first.

Michael Miskelly

The WOD's are Mo, Tu, Th, Fr. Any other days are rest days. You may not want to do that schedule if you have BJJ or weight training lifts you still want to maintain so just try out a mixture of days and see.

Look up the pre-requisites thread for info on the statics. Usually people would do statics as a part of their warm up before a WOD. Following a steady state cycle is the best way to train the statics, there is plenty of info on the forum about this already if you are confused about SSC programming.

If you are confused about scaling you can follow the WOD schedule a day behind so that you can ask how to scale it properly the day before. People will help you as most have been in the same position as you are now, including myself :)

Good luck

Cannon Turner

Thanks a TON.

Looking forward to the training....appreciate the help!

BldyKnuckles89

I'm completely green when it comes to this stuff, so I also had this same question. Thank you for posting your question before I had too! But I've got another question, being that I'm new to this site and material. My question is, are there any exercises I can do at home, or at the gym, on my legs that Coach has on this site? Once again I'm competely new to this site and honestly haven't had much time to look through all the material. Help would be greatly appreciated!

BldyKnuckles89

I'm completely green when it comes to this stuff, so I also had this same question. Thank you for posting your question before I had too! But I've got another question, being that I'm new to this site and material. My question is, are there any exercises I can do at home, or at the gym, on my legs that Coach has on this site? Once again I'm competely new to this site and honestly haven't had much time to look through all the material. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Vincent Stoyas

Leg work starts with deck squats and the book shows progressions from there