Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aging Well Through Exercise

Cole Dano

For those of us in middle age and beyond there is hope! (As if we didn't already know :D )

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/aging-well-through-exercise/?src=me&ref=general

“We think these are very encouraging results,” said Dr. Vonda Wright, an orthopedic surgeon and founder of the Performance and Research Initiative for Masters Athletes at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, who oversaw the study. “They suggest strongly that people don’t have to lose muscle mass and function as they grow older. The changes that we’ve assumed were due to aging and therefore were unstoppable seem actually to be caused by inactivity. And that can be changed.”

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-8-68.pdf

Summary

Ageing is associated with a blunted muscle protein synthetic response to anabolic stimuli, i.e. feeding and resistance exercise. However, dietary and exercise interventions may prevent or slow sarcopenic muscle loss.

First, we stress the importance of ingesting sufficient protein with each meal for older adults. Specifically, given the blunted sensitivity of older muscles to low doses of amino acids, a dietary plan that includes at least 20 g and as high as 30 g of high quality protein per meal will provide sufficient essential amino acids, particularly leucine, required to elicit a robust acute muscle protein synthetic response above that seen at rest, thereby promoting the accretion of muscle protein over time.

Secondly, we advise the use of resistance exercise in the elderly to induce hypertrophy, improve strength and improve physical function. In older adults who are not restricted by physical disability, frequent high-intensity weight lifting will increase lean muscle mass.

Alternatively, low-intensity high volume weight lifting may also promote an adaptive response in the elderly provided the working muscle is sufficiently ‘stressed’ (i.e. via blood flow restriction to the muscle or lifting to failure).

Finally, utilizing resistance exercise and protein ingestion concurrently will promote an optimal anabolic response than either stimulus alone and should be an important consideration for clinicians and patients alike. However, in order to maximize the anabolic potential of prior resistance exercise, the elderly may require more protein (~40 g) than the young (~20 g). Further work is required in order to delineate the most appropriate feeding strategies to augment resistance exercise adaptation in the elderly.

I have personally found that a 50cc scoop of whey concentrate with a 5cc leucine spike post workout to be a very effective combination. In fact i notice markedly better recovery with this than with plain whey concentrate. Currently i only add the spike post workout and also have a plain scoop pre workout and one in the morning or evening as well, plus regular high protein meals.

Since beginning this along with GB programing about 18 months ago, people have noticed a dramatic change in body composition, this starting at 48 years of age.

(credit to Fat Cat and FRKCTL at IronGarm for finding these nuggets.)

I imagine the people here could post an inexhaustible list of anecdotal evidence that exercising through all ages improves quality of life.

My little example; had a group come through a hotel I worked in who'd been on a fairly intensive walking safari for the previous 2 weeks in various parks in East Africa. The uncle of the group leader, a 69yo was in the best shape of the group. More energy, quicker recovery time from the steep climbs and bigger smile than the rest of the group (mixed ages from mid 20s up to the uncle). I asked him if he's always done a lot of exercise. His answer (poor english, nice Russian guy) translated to "No, I just love walking everywhere. Keeps the blood pumping!"

The man looked more like his was in his early 50s than at the turn of 70. Demon at the poker table though.