Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Increasing straddle flexibility?

dcs24

Sorry, i'm hoping to try tomorrow, but i can assure you that doing what Coach is suggesting won't be at all easy for me, so i need to work out the movement before i think about filming anything.

Actually what the girl does in the video posted is also good stuff, but not nearly as demanding as what Coach describes.A TRX or Jungle Gym is better in this case as it has a place for the foot to sit.

I have my rings hanging from eyebolts in the middle of the room. If you are in a door way i think you would have to bring the straps together and move out of the doorway.

Aaron Griffin
I have my rings hanging from eyebolts in the middle of the room. If you are in a door way i think you would have to bring the straps together and move out of the doorway.

That's what I tried. But I think you lose some stability by bringing them together. With my feet in the rings, it was very difficult to remain stable and "forward", probably because the rings joined the same point.

Aaron Griffin
I just think it's hard! I'll put some feedback up after i try it.

You might be right. I just find I wasn't able to put sufficient pressure on my legs to really do anything.

I think I'm going to try it using my arms pressed against the door frame for stability, to see if I can get some more downward force.

• 1 month later...
Jonathan Nasman

My form is not amazing, and my torso should be more upright, but I think this is generally what coach was referring to.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan,

Just a minor detail for your otherwise nice videos --- Power Splits are loaded passive stretches. They are not dynamic active.

best,

jason

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wait what?  There's three types of splits now?

Side split, front split to the left and front split to the right.

Wait what?  There's three types of splits now?

Some people use the term 'four-way splits'; left, right, side, box (feet / torso forward)

Connor Davies

Some people use the term 'four-way splits'; left, right, side, box (feet / torso forward)

So 'side' would be the side splits on the heels of your feet, and 'box' would be the side splits with the balls of your feet touching the floor?

So 'side' would be the side splits on the heels of your feet, and 'box' would be the side splits with the balls of your feet touching the floor?

Yes. That's how it was explained to me a while back.

Don't know whether there's correct gymnastics nomenclature for these, or whether there is a distinction.

Connor Davies

Yes. That's how it was explained to me a while back.

Don't know whether there's correct gymnastics nomenclature for these, or whether there is a distinction.

Oh there's a distinction.  Doing 'box' splits I can get almost the whole way to the floor, without any strain (but loads of knee pain!) but if I try 'side' splits, my hamstrings get involved and I can't go nearly as low...