Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CoreCool

Aleister Ruffer

Aleister Ruffer

http://corecool.co.uk/science.htm

I read about this a loooong time (5-6) years ago, and it just popped up again.

Somebody on reddit has done a homemade version of this, doesn't look too difficult to whip up.

http://imgur.com/rFUbB

http://i.imgur.com/jzMDW.jpg

I'm curious as to how effective this would be for us, being that we're limited by tendon strength.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you could convince Sliz to train with it if you sent one or he might make one in his basement laboratory.

Aleister Ruffer

I was sort of hoping he would chime in, as there I've come across some conflicting information as to its' effectiveness. I'm gonna go ahead and try to cobble one together over the weekend and see what happens.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Liquid cooling at the wrists!!!!

Oh it will work, all right. I had to do something similar to control my ex's fever a year ago!

You can just have fans blowing on your forearms and use misters intermittently to keep them wet for the same or greater effect, the thermal transfer due to phase change with evaporation is huge. Much higher than direct contact water cooling.

There are specialized shirts that they featured on the discovery channel that allowed someone to run in desert conditions with NO INCREASE in core temp!!! Holy crap!

stanford labs created it... apparently a few NFl teams use it in their strength training !

....You can just have fans blowing on your forearms and use misters intermittently to keep them wet for the same or greater effect, the thermal transfer due to phase change with evaporation is huge. Much higher than direct contact water cooling....

In the A-6 aircraft, the plane I flew in the Navy, there were vents on the side panels pointed almost exactly at the wrist/forearm area. If you ever got overheated or encountered a bit of vertigo just having the air blow across my wrists/forearms always helped immensely to cool/calm me down. Funny to see that there is some correlation here, I just figured it was me. Maybe those aircraft engineers knew a thing or two...?

Joshua Naterman

How about that!

Maybe they did know a thing or two. The wrists and forearms, along with the lower leg and ankle, are the two best areas to cool the body at. They have the least amount of subcutaneous fat combined with the most exposed blood vessels, making them the ideal radiators.

There is a theory that this is why people from cold climates, as a population, tend to have larger and thicker torsos with relatively shorter and thicker arms while those from hot climates tend to have shorter, smaller torsos with longer and thinner arms and legs. Better heat radiation from more surface area per unit bodyweight in the body parts with the best thermal transfer.

Obviously this applies to long-term ancestral habitat and not for the last 200 years or anything.

Actually they say it is the palms, and that the same effect cannot be got with other types of cooling. They are claiming there is something "special" about the palms and that the vacuum is essential.

Sounds like it could be placebo to me.

I'm gonna go ahead and try to cobble one together over the weekend and see what happens.
How are you planning on doing it. I looked at the guys drawing and it looks simple enough. A copper pipe to grasp inside the chamber will increase heat transfer. For the container you could possibly use an old protein powder container if you have one. For the glove seal I would get a small size rubber dishwashing glove, cut it and put the wide end over the container and secure with duct tape. You can put some vaseline/petroleum jelly on your forearm so it seals well against the glove.

I work as an engineer and have to make airtight seals quite a bit. The seal around the pipe going in and out might be the hardest. If using the protein container I would use a soldering iron, if you have one. Otherwise you can heat a nail and make a hole. A melted hole like this usually gets a nice rim around it which is strong and can have "land" on which to seal against. I usually put soft silicone tube over hard tubes and shove them into the holes. This is far better than messing with silicone sealant, which sounds good in theory but I never have much success with it.

There is no real need for a pump if you do not have one handy. You could have a funnel set up with a restriction on the outlet side of the device, this would ensure if is full of water which is slowly passing through. You could have a second container collecting this water, with a few ice cubes in it and just keep replenishing the water. Or just have it at your sink and have tap water flowing through it -if it is cold enough, they mention 10C.

Aleister Ruffer

Actually they say it is the palms, and that the same effect cannot be got with other types of cooling. They are claiming there is something "special" about the palms and that the vacuum is essential.

Sounds like it could be placebo to me.

How are you planning on doing it.

Here's a paper with a bit more detail than the Stanford studies. http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/3/972.full.pdf+html

I ordered a brake bleed kit from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV8000-Automotive-Brake-Bleeding/dp/B00265M9SS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319779744&sr=8-2.

Picked up some scrap PVC and fittings from a plumber friend, and I'm using an old sump pump from an aquarium that my dad has lying around. I kinda lucked out, my only out of pocket will be the bleed kit.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to seal the transfer chamber for the vacuum. Once the bleed kit shows up I'll have to play around with a few ideas that I have.

Joshua Naterman

Nowhere do the studies state anything about the hands being the only place this works... All you have to do is cool the blood.

The hands are convenient, and the vacuum probably has to be there to counteract the vasorestriction caused by the cold!

However, a low power flexible peltier device (or perhaps just fine copper mesh with a radiator system built in, but I think peltier is better) wrapped around the forearms and perhaps the lower legs would certainly do the same thing. The veins are also much larger, which is going to mean that vasorestriction has much less of an effect on total blood flow. This would have to be fairly well tuned to avoid sinking too much heat too quickly, but I think that could be done.

New from the Cimmeria Institute of Enhanced Barbarians ... AUTHENTIC CONAN WORKOUT BRACERS! Get stronger! Be more barbaric! GET LAID WHEN YOU WANT! For the low low price of 49.95 and the privilege to look awesome in the gym, you TOO can work out like Conan and attract women without trying! Hell, even if they don't like you you'll soon be strong enough to cart them away to your cave! Even CONAN would pay for liquid-cooled forearms in that desert, so be like Conan and get BUFF with the right stuff!!! CALL NOW!

Nowhere do the studies state anything about the hands being the only place this works... All you have to do is cool the blood.

The hands are convenient, and the vacuum probably has to be there to counteract the vasorestriction caused by the cold!

On the link in the first post to the site it mentions about the palms, and in the video. It says the control they used to disprove the placebo effect was the same glove with the cooling but with no vacuum and it did not work -in fact the body got hotter. They reckon it got hotter due to the restriction you mention which insulates the body.

Thinking more about the poormans version. All you need is a strong protein container and attached washing up glove as I mentioned before, then get a 1" diameter bit of copper tube which passes through the container and seal it -no pump. Now just attach vinyl tubing to the container which can be got in a homebrew suppliers, and a inline hose clamp.

CRW_8869.jpg

You stick your hand in the container and simply suck air out with the vinyl tube to create the vacuum and then clamp the tube closed to contain the vacuum. This should be possible with just one hand (it could also be folded over to temporarily seal it and put a plug in it but may need a helper). Now just have a large bucket of cold water nearby and dunk the whole thing in downwards so the water is near the top of the container, the water will immediately flood into the 1" copper pipe. To refresh the water in the copper tube simply swirl it around or take your hand out of the water so it drains and replenished when dunked in again. Add iced water to your bucket if it starts to heat up.

On youtube guys say they cost £1300, which is about US$2000 :shock: (now I would expect the guarantee to get laid for that price!)

Aaron Griffin

Which is why a collar would work awesome.

Aleister Ruffer

Just a quick update: Have everything cobbled together. It can hold a vacuum! Hopefully I'll get some actual use out of it next week :)

Have you any tests in mind to see if it is effective? maybe share them now so people can offer suggestions.

I didn't like the figures they were quoting in some of the studies, they were twisting the truth. Like they might say a guy improved "250%", and then when you read it they might have added up all his reps, but he might have done 3 sets without the glove and loads 8 sets with it.