Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any swimmers here?

jtaporco

I'm a swimmer and was wondering if there are any swimmers here on the boards who have been following Coach's program for awhile. Also, has the Gymnastic Strength Training™ improved any of your stroke times etc.

I'm asking because I just started doing some of the beginners exercises. So far I can do:

L-sit: 20 secs

Tucked L-sit: 40 secs

Tucked front lever: 10 secs (limited by my shoulders yelling in pain at me, so I usually do it for 5 secs rather than ten)

Handstand on wall: 40 secs

5x2 HeadSPUs

15x2 Pullups

20x2 Chinups

2x2 One Arm Pullups (assisted)

20x3 situps

20x3 pushups

i don't really have a routine i just try to do as much as i can without straining. TIA for any tips on routine or which skills to work on. i usually rest on sat & sun. i swim mon, wed, fri mornings and sat sun evenings.

my main goal is to build the strength and endurance to make me a better swimmer.

John Sapinoso

I've trained some swimmers in strength before here's some of the exercises that their coach had them performing:

This one is very swim specific:

On a bar that's between a foot above or below head height grab the bar sqaut down and jump up and simulteously extend triceps and pull arms down while keeping a solid core and body straight up and down. repeat 45 seconds on 15 seconds rest for 3 minutes.

here's some of the stuff I had them doing for general strength:

russian twists, rope climbs, lots of ring work (mainly pulling), look into the front lever pull up exercise also referred to by some as an ice cream maker that seemed to be very helpful to them and lots of core: leg lifts mainly and hollow holds v ups straddle ups tuck ups flutter kicks etc.

thanks ts00nami, i'll have to try those. with the bar exercise, as soon as you jump up you straighten your arms and pull yourself up over the bar? i'm picturing a muscle up but with straight arms using the momentum from your jump keeping your while keeping your body straight?? am i right? let me know if i'm right hehe