Press to handstand VS HSPU's

Started by Yaad Mohammad, October 26, 2011 · 2 Replies · 3,783 Views

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys!

I tried to do handstand push-ups, I got the balance for it but I can't do it, it's just not possible. However, I can go from a tuck planche to handstand (bend arms) and then back to tuck planche and then handstand. That times 3, but I can't do handstand push-ups. So are HSPU's harder than press to handstands or do they just require different muscles? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Nic Scheelings

What you are doing isn't a press handstand because your arms aren't straight. The reason why it's easier is because you are tucking your body which makes it much easier to balance than a hollow Handstand which you should strive for when you do a handstand pushup.

For me HSPU was significantly easier than a press HS with straight arms but I know some people who are the other way round.

Blairbob

Bent arm and straight arm strength is different.

Bent arm tuck to HS is different than a HSPU as the body is smaller than a straight body HSPU.

Most gymnasts get press HS before HSPU, especially when they are younger or smaller. When ya get bigger, it's often opposite but not necessarily as press HS will also be much easier if you have flexible hips (hip flexors).