Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dimension of competetion rings

Tefached

Bruno Cochofel

- Inner diameter: 18 centimetres (7.1 in) ± 0.1 centimetres (0.039 in)

- Distance from point of attachment to lower inner side of the rings: 300 centimetres (9.8 ft) ± 1 centimetre (0.39 in)

- Distance between two points of attachment: 50 centimetres (1.6 ft) ± 0.5 centimetres (0.20 in)

taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_(gymnastics)

• 4 weeks later...

I wondered how this size was arrived at, and if other sizes would be more beneficial for some people (who are not competing on the official size).

I would guess there was a vote or something, I head there was a majority vote for round ones at some stage, but being that gymnasts are generally smaller in stature I would expect it to follow that they would have slightly smaller hands too, and so the standard size might suit a smaller hand. So a larger hand might be suited to a larger ring. Childrens playground rings are typically smaller which makes sense, I wondered if younger competetive gymnasts are at a disadvantage with what is in effect posssibly an oversized ring, and if they would have been able to perform better with a smaller ring or ring of choice (this goes for adult pros too).

I know one place making rings has the standard size and one with a slightly thicker diameter (1.25" vs 1.11")

I am still practising the false grip and wondered if it would be easier with a different diameter ring or another shape altogether.

There is some history of the rings here

http://www.gymmedia.com/ghent2001/appa/ ... ory_ri.htm

Even after 1920 it was not common in the German gymnastics federations to use the swinging rings.

The rings were made of iron at that time and were wrapped with thread and covered with leather. However, wooden rings and rings made of wickerwork and hard rubber were also described. Multiple glued rings, usual later on, were not known yet.

I was mentioning leather coating in my thread about wooden chinup bars. I am now planning on making myself wooden dumbbell handles as I much prefer the feel of them.
The diameter of the rings was 13-15 cm, the iron ones 20mm thick, the wooden ones 25-30mm thick.
They may have been thicker to assure they were strong enough(?)