Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazing development of gymnastics in T-nation

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

I keep up with the latest t-nation articles, and I am absolutely super excited about how more and more articles there are featuring gymnastic training methodology/exercises.

Here's the latest mention: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_strength

"1. If you train a MMA fighter, sprinter, running back, or any other similar athlete you probably don't need speed work in their training sessions because their sport is the speed work. Focus on building nothing but maximal strength with high load and high-tension exercises.

Use the deadlift as the ultimate measure of high-load training strength with being able to pull at least a raw double body weight lift with an unmixed grip as the goal. Focus on building the glute-ham raise, iron cross, muscle-up, and handstand push-up from rings for body weight high-tension exercises."

Wow, huh? :D

Iron cross and handstand push-ups on gymnastic rings? Sweet :D

Ah the weekly dose. I love reading the weekly dose too! I really liked that one. And it was a bit educational. Getting more contraction leads to more strength. So awesome! Happy to know I'm not the only fan LOL

I don't like Chad's "do iron cross pulls very often with the best possible rom" methodology. Without any elbow preparation things like that seem to be very prone to injuries - at least if done with straight arms.

Most people could just do ring flys instead.

Thing is about cross pulls, they are a bit self limiting in a way until you start getting past 45 degrees out. Then they start getting outrageously difficult.

Quick Start Test Smith

Ring flyes are a very good idea, Blairbob. Thanks! I will remember to add them to my routine. I can imagine how good they would be for back knuckle strikes :)

You will get more striking power by developing the weight change and motion of the spine and hips than just the arm.

Quick Start Test Smith

What kind of movements/exercises would improve that, Blairbob?

A lot of that is hip and technique mechanics. Other than that, just get stronger.

So...

get strong...move efficiently...so you can hurt people better, umm hit harder... :mrgreen:

Quick Start Test Smith

"It ain't about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward."

:mrgreen:

More like how well you can NOT get hit, make a good angle, and end up with a long career with a better record than Rocky's. :mrgreen:

Depends on whether it concerns sport or other. Some people might advocate doing cross sectional work like cables but I think stuff like TGU and power movements such as the olympic lifts would be far more transferable besides learning how to move efficiently.

KB swings that are diagonal in nature I think would be far more useful than diagonal cable work.

This is also a very interesting Article:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... hts_needed

It boils down to bodyweight training/weighted bodyweight exercises being superior for hyperthropy.

The ideal routine for muscle building is descriped as:

"As many sets as it takes to get 25 dips, pull-ups, handstand push-ups, and pistols. Then when you progress, go to 40. Then 50. Add weight and go back to 25."

I asked him to explain the history of this routine and why he felt it was valid. He said, "It's my own idea, but based on a combination of ideas from Ronnie Coleman (do 25 pull-ups in as many sets as it takes to get there) and Bill Starr (25-50 reps is the optimal range of volume for bodybuilding), amongst others. I'm a big fan of bodyweight work. I think 25-50 reps is the right volume range for non-freaky natural athletes."