Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Substitute?

fireandwater

Hi. I just got the online copy of BTGB and want to start using it. The problem is, I don't own rings. Even if I did, though, I don't have anywhere to put them. My gym doesn't have anywhere to put them, either. Is there any kind of substitute for the rings or ring exercises? I realize what I'm asking, and am anticipating some :roll: but would like to do my best with the workouts. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

They have nothing to hang them off like a pullup bar or squat cage?

Some exercises can be substituted with a bar like skin the cats and pullups and dips. It's not quite the same.

Do they have dip stands at least?

If nothing elese you can always go to the local play ground and hang them over something there, or even a tree branch if there is a thick enough one around

Blairbob - No, there is no power rack :? . Only smith machines, and that obviously won't work. The pullup bar/machine won't work either because it's an assist machine so there are parts in the way. There are dip bars on the pullup machine.

IJL - There is a playground not too far from me, but I don't know if there is something high enough without anything else in the way. No trees in my yard. :(

I could put them in my living room, but the ceiling is lath and plaster, not drywall. I can see that installation going horribly awry.

Maybe get one of these chinup bars then

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Doorwa ... 50&sr=8-22

they are removable and go up higher than the other telescopic types (these ones http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-JMC_doorbar ... 50&sr=8-18 )

The higher the better though. If you have stairs you might be able to set up something, when walking up the stairs in my old & new house I can turn around and do pullups on the ledge formed by the second floor.

If you have a wooden pole or barbell you could lay it on the ground where these kids feet are

KN-009_1z.jpg

then you could have ring straps on the bar. The long bar would have nice distributed pressure against all the banister poles, the pole might need to be wrapped in pipe insulation to stop it marking.

I would also ask they gym if they would get rings in themselves, they are becoming more and more popular, all they need is the eyebolts in the ceiling.

• 2 months later...
Do you have an attic

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8ryAHjUfTEPJi_bZOZKbiGtX0NIco-mN3ETkjaKh3uthxCX0pINzT__NhtQ

Sorry to interject, but that's an excellent idea! I was thinking I was going to have to put my rings on a tree (and deal with the British weather :|), or buy one of those extending pull-up bars to hang them from, but I have a 120 kg rated barbell and I can put them on that, in the hole from my loft. Awesome, thanks for the idea.

[edit]

I guess I could make this post more relevant to the thread by offering a suggestion. If there are really no trees near you, you could buy a power rack and hang them from a racked bar, or you could buy a pull-up bar and hang them from that (as someone else suggested). If you have a low enough roof you could even buy some metal bars, bolt them to the roof and then hang the rings from that. You could probably make them removable if you don't own the house. I'm not sure how that would work without knowing what your house looks like.