Routine

Started by Ludwik Benning, September 6, 2008 · 11 Replies · 4,424 Views

Ludwik Benning

Hey everyone. Don't worry, I'm not asking anyone to create a routine for myself.. after reading posts on routine programing I came up with this:

Monday

1. Adv. Front Lever Static Hold (12 sets of 5sec)

2. Front Lever Pulls 5x5 (as slow as possible while maintaining form)

3. One Arm Pull Ups (assisted) 3x5

4. L-Sit (6 sets of 10sec)

5. Hanging Leg Raises 5x10

6. Pistols 5x5

Tuesday

1. Tuck Planche Static Hold (12 sets of 5sec)

2. Full ROM HSPUs 5x5

3. L-Sit (6 sets of 10sec)

4. Hanging Leg Raises 5x10

5. Pistols 5x5

Wednesday

1. L-Sit (6 sets of 10sec)

2. Hanging Leg Raises 5x10

3. Pseudo Planche Pushups 1x15 (hands at hips leaning forward as far as possible, 'heavy' singles)

Thursday

1. Adv. Front Lever Static Hold (12 sets of 5sec)

2. Front Lever Pulls 5x5 (as slow as possible while maintaining form)

3. One Arm Pull Ups (assisted) 3x5

4. Pistols 5x5

Friday

1. Tuck Planche Static Hold (12 sets of 5sec)

2. Full ROM HSPUs 5x5

3. L-Sit (6 sets of 10sec)

4. Hanging Leg Raises 5x10

5. Pistols 5x5

Sat/Sun REST.

I know that everyone is different in their athletic capabilities, and that some programs work for some and not for others. I'm merely inquiring as to how effective this program might be in advancing my strength..are there any major flaws?

Thanks

Blairbob

No dips?

Ever try leg raises from a support on rings. I wouldn't say they are more difficult or less. They just are interesting. A smaller ROM is just as tough. Then of course that whole instability thing.

Though it isn't in there, I hope you're doing basic handstands, press to HS(drills) as a warm up or something. No glute ham?

You can do full ROM HSPU but have that hard of a time with tuck planche? Maybe you have not trained the tuck planche nearly as much. If so, you'll be decreasing reps needed easily I think.

I think it also sounds funny that you will be attempting front lever pullups ( in tuck ) while short and so many reps needed of front lever drill.

Perhaps, maybe you are trying to save something in the bank on both the lever and planche to train the OAP or not kill yourself. Hmm.

Ludwik Benning

For warmups, yes, I am doing handstands and such but I dont have rings or a place to do dips at the moment. I can do full ROM HSPUs but yes, I have not been training the planche for that long, few weeks at best. Also, not front lever pull ups, but front lever pulls http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... highlight= . No glute ham raises because im trying to keep each workout under an hour. Im also training press to handstand, I can do a bent arm press but am working on the flexibility necessary for a straight arm straddle press.

Thanks for any replies.

Blairbob

Dips can be done off a counter or a corner of a counter. Not great, but not bad either.

Honestly once you can do a straddle press 2 headstand, work the straight arm version. When you say bent, I think really bent. If a slight angle happens well ok. No more than 15-30 degrees at most, 15 preferably.

Letting your arms is only acceptable as a training phase on rings or PB from an L.

I'm sure your planche numbers will get way better then once you start training it more.

Ludwik Benning

Having trained and practiced the bent arm variation of a tuck planche press to handstand, I feel that it has negatively affected my straight arm planche progress. While training planche, I must always be aware, and even looking down at my elbows to make sure they are in a locked position. But i'm hoping that this program, with only two days a week of planche practice and lever practice each, is enough for proper progress.

Also, where in this program should I be placing straight arm handstand press practice? As for dips, I find them too easy on bars or counter tops..once I get rings im sure they will be a much more difficult exercise. Bulgarian dips perhaps?

But please, any suggestions/comments/criticism is more than welcome, all I want is to learn as much as possible and become as functionally strong as possible.

Blairbob

I'd put the presses after the WU, they won't really kill your strength enough to worry about.

ring dips and variants would be good, i guess i just love dips too much.

Ludwik Benning

Thanks for the replies. Im only wondering if training planche and front lever only two times a week is enough practice? I know that in coach's article he suggested a 4 day a week routine for the two skills. Should I be rearranging this routine to train the planche and front lever a couple more days a week? OR should I just rearrange and give 4 days a week a try, and if the work load is too heavy cut it back down to two? Im working out consistently, and after reading a post by Ido Portal i'm thinking of cutting the working load by half every 5 workouts or so..or is this routine not enough workload for me to be 'deloading.'

Thanks

Garre33
luciob said:
Im only wondering if training planche and front lever only two times a week is enough practice?

That's a good question, I work planches and levers only 2 days a week as well, and am wondering the exact same thing.

Ludwik Benning

Yea, on one hand the planche and front lever are strength moves.. so training twice a week should be enough and avoid overtraining..but then again the higher learning curve of these moves should require daily practice? I could be wrong but I'm thinking that if I can hold a tuck planche for 10sec then 5 days a week I should be practicing all day with small sets of max 5 sec.

I just don't know.

Ludwik Benning

If anyone has any experience with training strength/balance movements like the front lever and planche with both two day a week schedules and four days a week.. I'm curious to see whats worked.

JoeS

I've had success training planche and front lever two days a week, but the reason I do that is because I also lift weghts and don't have time to train gymnastics 4 days a week, otherwise I probably would.

Ludwik Benning

Well I guess i'll try training planche and front lever mon, tues, thur, and friday; i'll see what happens..should I plateau quickly i'll cut the volume by half.