Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Using the WOD in a boys gymnastics program

Derek Schlieps

Derek Schlieps

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any resources or guidelines for using the WODs in a competitive club gymnastics program and not merely for personal general fitness.

Thank you!

The WODs are essentially Coach Sommer's programing he uses for his boys.

It would be best to go to a seminar and see how it works in practice and as part of the overall system if you are doing this in a group setting. I would also send the Coach a message and get his opinion on using it, if there are any restrictions etc...

I asked Coach about this in a PM sometime ago and he said I should. My question was about whether we should be using the WOD when in competition season.

As well I used a bit from time to time when some of my boys. However that depended on what those boys were capable of. Some of my boys were very young and new so I would focus on just strength building for the most part.

I was planning to do something similar with the girls but as I was not the HC (since we had 3 or 4 coaches for the girls compulsory), we didn't always do what I thought best. 2 of them were so new they wouldn't really no or care and I frequently ran in to issues of a lack of a time that was being alotted that was above my payscale.

After coming back from the seminar, my boys and I were in the offseason before I left that gym and sending my boys on to another close by gym. There were a variety of reasons and the next gym I was at was basically building a boys program so most of the boys were very new and weak and I wasn't allowed to really do as much S&C as I preferred (which was one of the reasons I left).

I was looking to adapt for the girls but that would require me taking over my own group of girls then or again.

I would like to see more lower body programming for my girls or boys. For up to compulsory gymnastics, I would focus more on building basic strength and position mastery.

It also depends on setup. Running it for 10-15 boys is much different than running it for 30 girls which was another reason we had to arrange our strength training differently.