Progessions to Handstand

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, October 9, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,758 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

After reading some of the HS threads here, I've decided to devote 20 minutes after one of my weekly strength sessions working on two FSP's (10 minutes total time each). The first FSP is the stomach-to-wall handstand of course, and I'm thinking of german hang, arch up hold, or bridge for the second (but I'm not sure). I AM working all the basic FSP's a minute each three times a week, so this is on top of that at the last strength day (Friday) of the week and I have two "off" days until my next strength session.

I haven't trained HS for a while, and my max time has probably dropped down to about 30 second (at least). Which do you think would be more effective for increasing the HS at my level:

1) Do short sets of 10-15 seconds (stomach-to-wall), rest for about 30-40 seconds before continuing

2) Get into handstand with feet elevated on box a inch or two above hip height, use toes to lean my body directly above shoulders and get perfect alignment with shrugged shoulders and flat back (I'll have a mirror to spot technique with). Hold for somewhere around 20-30 seconds, rest 20-30 seconds, repeat.

Number one seems more common, but number two seems like it would be extremely conducive to getting the form perfect and actually spending more time in the actual position.

You know a lot more about this than I do. What do you think?

Blairbob

German hang, arch hold, and hand bridge are not really FSP (as well as HS and Lsit). By definition, they are basic (fundamental) positions that should be mastered but they are as intense as the 3 original FSP (levers and planche).

Stuff like hollow and arch holds and bridging should always be in your WU, holds are good but for a short WU, some hollow and arch rocks can suffice for WU purposes.

Both. Heck, just alternate them.

Ian Legrow

Whatever works for you to find the perfect form quicker. I also agree with Blairbob. Do both, just alternate them if you really don't know which one to do

Quick Start Test Smith
Blairbob said:
German hang, arch hold, and hand bridge are not really FSP (as well as HS and Lsit). By definition, they are basic (fundamental) positions that should be mastered but they are as intense as the 3 original FSP (levers and planche).

Stuff like hollow and arch holds and bridging should always be in your WU, holds are good but for a short WU, some hollow and arch rocks can suffice for WU purposes.

Both. Heck, just alternate them.

I have those in my FSP WU. I was just trying to think of a position that is as important as the handstand. Alternating them is a good idea, though. Bridge, arch-up hold, and GH it is.

Thanks Blairbob and IJL.

Ian Legrow

Anytime my friend. :) glad to help.

-Ian