Press HS form

Started by Banzas, October 5, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,474 Views

Banzas

Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to improve my form when doing press to handstand. I don't have a recent video but I didn't train too much after this video so my form will look almost the same. My shoulders are going too much forward than they should right? And I feel I'm arching a little bit when pressing.

L0PJJ6elBtU

Can someone help me please?

Nuno

Finn Frank

I can only offer some basic advice but here it goes, hopefully it might help.

-Your HS is arched because you shoulders are not fully open so you arch to compensate the balance. You should work on your shoulder flexibility, Coach's Wall Extensions would be a good place to start. Also focusing some time on stomach to wall handstands to get used to applying your new flexibility.

-The forward lean is likely to compensate for insufficient flexibility (active) and compression in the pike position so once you improve that it should be possible to achieve the press with less lean.

A nice pike compression drill is to sit in a pike position with you hands roughly by your knees and then lift your heels off the floor keeping you legs straight. You can then make it harder by moving you hands further from you hips.

I hope this will be helpful. And feel free to call me on anything that I've missed is is just wrong :)

Banzas

Thanks for the quick reply Finnbar! That's what I thought! Thanks a lot for your help :)

Nuno

Niklas Slotte

Here's a very good video from Luis Sarabia, which will help you with the "planching" (shoulders coming forward) problem. This approach will require more flexibility, though. It has some nice cues for a correct pike press.

8rO2yqOOFK4

As for the technique in your video, it seems alright disregarding the closed shoulder angle. You begin by curling the hips over the hands and after that you bring the legs up, which is correct. I would say work on pike compression and shoulder mobility/flexibility for a cleaner pike press and HS.

Banzas

Thanks for the video and advice :)

I'll update when I feel any improvements!

Nuno