Ok so after reading around a bunch on this forum and other websites, as well as watching Fat Head (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7188), I'm trying to eliminate carbs (except vegetables) as much as possible from my diet.
Here's my understanding:
Starchy or grainy carbohydrates have a very high Glycemic Index and essentially turn into sugar when they get into your blood stream. This is bad because:
1) Your body will produce insulin to help regulate your blood sugar levels. In extreme cases this can produce insulin resistance or diabetes.
2) Your body has a very limit amount of space to store carbs. As such, most of the sugar/carbs are turned into and stored as fat.
3) Carbs can lead to inflamed arteries which leads to heart disease.
I'm not actually fat whatsoever and don't particularly want to lose any weight. I do however want to give my body what it needs and have it working as it should. Also, I do sometimes get "hunger shakes", which have me feeling like I'm borderline diabetic sometimes, which I believe could be due to blood sugar levels. And this is without even eating tons of carbs.
So my thinking is, why not replace all the extra carbs with fat/protein since fat can be used as energy and is also essential for many different bodily organs/functions.
So I've essentially decided to go pseudo-paleo, however have kept milk and yogurt (whole fat) in my diet, as well as nuts. I'm also using fatty meats as opposed to opting for lean meat, and have been eating a lot of beef. So far I feel about the same, although energy may be a bit up, and I haven't had any hunger shakes.
So a couple questions:
1) What do those doing paleo or similar diets eat every day? Do you just eat massive amounts of meat to offset the energy you're missing from the carbs?
2) Why are tubers ok? Are they not essentially carbs? Are they just carbs with lower GI's?
3) I found a list of tubers which includes potatoes, however I thought potatoes were bad due to being too starchy? Which tubers are ok to eat?
4) Is rice ok? From what I've read both brown and white rice have relatively low GI's. I feel like I need some sort of extra energy to have with some meals, and rice is easy.
5) What's the deal with beans and chickpeas?
Also, Slizzardman recommended buckwheat groats as a good breakfast food when I asked a while ago. I'm comparing buckwheat to whole wheat bread now and I notice that it has a higher glycemic load, and it's also considered more inflammatory, and is also largely a carbohydrate. So just curious as to why (if you're reading) you recommended buckwheat groats in particular? Not being critical, honestly just curious.
Any corrections/advice/help is welcome
.