Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where Do You Train? (Shout out to your Gymnastics Facility!)

Randeep Walia

As a contractor that works from home, I got to thinking maybe I would start hopping from city to city and exploring this great country of ours a bit more. the only thing that gives me pause is that this would interrupt my gymnastics training, because I know how hard it can be to find a good gymnastics room to train at.

Enter this thread: I want to give people a chance to name drop the gymnastics studio they train at and take a moment to describe what they like about it.

I train at Southern Elite Gymnastics (SEGA) here in Alpharetta, GA. It's great: in addition to being a full-fledged gymnastics facility they have Parkour and Capoeira classes. The people are really awesome, and open gym is Saturday and Sunday for adults. However, once I told the coach there about my desire to start training on the rings pretty seriously he lets me come in any day and make use of the area as long as I don't interrupt any of the regular classes. It's also been a good place to work on flips and other acrobatic techniques as well (Tumble Track, Foam Pit, holla!)

As far as I know, this is the only gymnastics facility that allows adults to train on a regular basis.

Well, I think many, if not most of us, train at home, or in a field, or hanging from, or in, a tree. That being said, Gymnastics Beat in Fresno, CA has open gym that allows adults to train at certain hours, and they have a parkour class for adults. I have taken a few private lessons, and my kids go to class there.

Nathan Brunskill

I love Los Angeles School of Gymnastics. They are the best. Great instructors, classes, parkour, private coaching... the adult classes and open gym are awesome.

Generally I do the bulk of my training at whatever gym I happen to be coaching at. Sometimes, I bring my rings and train on the beach and I have a friend who trains at the equipment over at Santa Monica beach which is a decent set up (PB are slightly wide, rings are non FIG diameter and metal).

This year I spent most of my time training at UC Berkeley's recreational gym, GoldenBear during the UC club hours. The college team trains there during the afternoons and weekends which can be pretty neat or a nuisance. Occasionally, I did some training at my friends gym at CrossFitMarin since most of them are gymnastics based.

For right now, I suppose it will be whatever I can set up around the house and garage as I don't think there is a gymnastics gym for 50+miles.

In California I trained/jammed at quite a few places:

World Stars Gymnastics Academy - Camarillo (now closed)

Cali Gymnastics - Simi Valley (reopened as Platinum Gymnastics)

Victory Gymnastics Academy - Newbury Park

Platinum Gymnastics - Simi Valley

Monarchs Gymnastics - Newbury Park branch

Coach Patty's Gymnastics - Camarillo (reopened as Legacy Gymnastics)

Legacy Gymnastics - Camarillo

In DC it was all about one spot:

Urban Evolution - DC

Currently in the Philippines I improvise:

All around the campus - University of the Philippines Diliman

BATZ cave - Makati, Philippines

i trained at uc santa barbara in california for awhile and all the coaches are really nice and helpful and it's a nice gym but there aren't any open gym times and adult classes for once a week were pretty expensive

I love Los Angeles School of Gymnastics. They are the best. Great instructors, classes, parkour, private coaching... the adult classes and open gym are awesome.

I'll be sure to check them out next time I'm on the west coast. That also reminds me of the place I used to train at when I worked in LA: Gymnastics Olympica in Van Nuys. It was great: I worked by LAX, and I used to take the fly-away shuttle to Van Nuys airport and walk there. They had open gym every night during the week and there was a great energy of people there. I would like to get a home set up too, but that camaraderie helps as well.

Right now I am in Philly and haven't found any options except for a Crossfit here and there. I'm also going to Manhattan afterwards. I've taken the adult class at Chelsea Piers which was okay.

• 2 weeks later...
Randeep Walia

I wasn't able to make it out to 5 Star this trip- it was just a bit too far me to make it from Manhattan. I trained for a couple of classes at Chelsea Piers. It's crazy expensive ($28 a class, though it can be cheaper if you buy a class pack), but very effective. I had a great time at the Apparatus class where an instructor will train you on the equipment of your choice.

This class was great, I showed my instructor everything I was doing on the rings and proceeded to receive a very educational (and humbling) explanation of how I was doing nearly everything wrong. BtGB gives you great insight into how to do the movements, but it helps to have some experienced coaches pointing out the little mistakes you make here and there without even realizing it. In my case, I didn't realize how often I bend at the elbows, even slightly, and how big of a difference it makes.