Hello to anyone who can help me!
I'm 37 years old and coming off a long period of sports injuries and rehab. Previously I have background of 12 years weightlifting (started at 16), university track (sprinting), kickboxing, Grappling/Brazilian Jiujitsu, and since I turned 30, competitive long distance running.
At this stage, I am going to suspend running for a few years because of a damaged hip, but will return at some point. Therefore, would like any advice on how to avoid gaining weight or otherwise antagonizing running form while doing strength training. I'm convinced Gymnastics training is far superior to weigh-training for my sports but still it must be done carefully.
I would also love to hear any advice with respect to Gymnastics training for grappling, which will be the next phase of training in the years to come for me.
My overall routine will include the following:
1. swimming/water running and doing yoga in the mornings for about 75 minutes 4-5 days a week.
2. 10-15 minutes of Tabata's 3 evenings a week. Gymnastics strength training the same 3 evenings a week.
3. training with my grappling club just 2 evenings a week.
4. Daily physiotherapy for my hip (long term) including bridging, lower core work. Also daily will be light grappling drills.
This program is geared heavily towards conditioning, less towards skills for grappling, because I have to protect my hip.
Here's where I need help.
The Gymnastics Bodies book outlines a great program. I will be doing static holds monday, wednesday, and friday. Basic strength will be monday and friday. But I have the following refinement questions:
1. What series of static hold positions would best prepare me for grappling, build the muscles around my bad hip, emphasize lower body and upper body equally, and otherwise lead to balanced development not prone to injury?
2. What basic strength exercises will do the same?
3. What dynamic exercises could be added in later? (I'm a bit worried that the static and basic strength training will reduce my mobility/agility)
4. A personal pleasure would be to eventually learn to do HSPUs and Planche pushups and ring work in this routine.
5. What joint prehab is vital to avoid injuries later?
Just to emphasize, lower body and hip strength/stability are a top priority, as is maintaining a low body weight and dynamism.
Thanks so much for any advice and expertise. I really am over my head with this gymanstics training which is what makes it so great. I'm totally pumped about the whole thing and want to do it all. Just want to get it right. Any and all advice and ideas is very much appreciated.
Jeremy in
Toronto