This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vince's Workout Log

Started by Vincent Stoyas, August 30, 2011 · 64 Replies · 4,106 Views

Vincent Stoyas

Forgot to make a video for this one. I was to preoccupied wondering if the trainers at the gym were going to get mad at me for doing CWWs or not...

Anyways.

Completed 4 rounds:

2 Cast Wall Walks

6 PB Dips

2 Cast Wall Walks

8 XR Push Ups

2 Cast Wall Walks

12 push ups done as explosive as possible.

*NOTES*

First round went amazing. Cast Wall Walks went easily. The first round I had the dips and XR push ups switched around, I thought the dips would be more challenging, but they weren't so I switched them for the 2-4 rounds. First round XR Push ups went great too, nice tempo and had a nice turn out at the top, I also did clapping push ups the first round. After the clapping push ups is when things started to go south. I finished all of them, but at the start of the next round I was definitely feeling it.

Second round still went okay, i switched the dips and pushups as I said previously. I also got rid of clapping push ups and put normal explosive push ups.

Third round I was definitely feeling it. I cut the CWWs to 1 in between each exercise. Tempo for the XR push ups went out the window. I went down decently slow and push up as fast as possible. No turn out from here on out. Push ups were hard. Got to six, took a few breaths at the top, did 3 more, few more breaths at top positions and finished all 12.

Fourth round I felt like skipping entirely. It took a lot of will power for me to go through it. My single CWWs were hard. I felt my elbow bend slightly on one step each of the times. Never fell though, kept decent form. Dips were hard, but were the easiest. I felt like I got most of my rest from them. XR push ups I went up and down as fast as possible. Did 6 and stopped. 20 second or less break and did the last two. Push ups had lots of pauses at the top, never c ame out of push up position though.

Wow, I wrote a lot. I'm very surprised I did the entire workout though. I am very pleased with myself, I was dreading it all day long. Hopefully my subs were done fairly accurately. Sorry if you guys actually read everything here. Haha.

Vincent Stoyas

Performed 7/24/12

flJ8zOlBO_c

There's the first and third ring strength sets. My phone fell on the second one, so that doesn't exist.

WOD

Ring strength series

1- Support -> SS -> Support -> inverted hang -> BL tuck -> IH -> FL tuck negative

2 - Support -> Negative MU -> inverted hang -> BL tuck -> IH -> Fl tuck negative

3 - Support -> IH -> BL tuck - IH -> Bl tuck -> IH -> Fl tuck negative

5 negative FL tucks

5x15s HS

5x15s GH

*NOTES*

Very rough workout. I was completely exhausted from the day before's workout. I surprised I could even do a dip.

I normally move up to a SS, but after the first one where my legs rapidly hit the bar I realized I shouldn't even attempt it again.

Ring support needs a lot of work. I don't really practice it. I've been incorporating RTO planks in warm ups now. For support I need to work on sticking my chest further out and to stop piking at the hips.

My front lever doesn't even exist.I just do negatives of them at the end. My core strength is atrocious. I need to add in much more of it. Looks like my inverted hangs were a bit sloppy too. I shouldn't really have even taken a video of this and maybe I should've taken an extra rest day. I definitely needed it, my strength was very low that day.

Vincent Stoyas

img20120728192205.jpg

img20120728192509.jpg

I decided I'm going to take more interest in handstands. This is my starting point. A quick observation is I believe my hands need to be closer together, more directly under the shoulders. My shoulders lack mobility and I don't know how to flatten the back. It'll come in time, I suppose.

Vincent Stoyas

DEJhB1a06bE

Sorry for the poor video editing. Forgot to mute my breath out and rotate the Bl tuck.

Completed 3 sets of

1 Embedded BL tuck -> 5 XR Dips

1 Embedded L sit - > 5 FL Pulls

1 Negative FL Tuck - > 5 HLL

Finished with

2x5 BWW

3x5 Pike compression lifts

2x10 Tuck V Ups

*NOTES*

BL tuck is feeling stronger already, never noticed how crazy my elbows look in a Bl...haha

Man oh man was I doing L sit tuck wrong. I got up to like a good 30 second hold, but with rounded shoulders...I tried retracting and depressing them and boy did it greatly increase the difficulty. Time to regress back to L sit tucks.

FL pulls never got recorded, something happened with my phone. The first set was difficult, I wasn't sure how to do them. 2nd and 3rd set got better, but they didn't have much tempo. I tried to hold the FL tuck position for a few seconds before lowering down.

Fl tuck negatives are coming along. The videoed one looks like crap because for some reason I had the rings very close together. I pulled them apart another 6 inches or so and the lowering was much better. Although, I have like 0 strength in any of the degrees lower than 90. Gotta work on that, too.

Best the HLL have ever felt. Form is shotty, but it's improving nonetheless. My L sit is awful, my l hang and anything L related sucks. Some day I'll master them.

Vincent Stoyas

Very excited today! Finished my first full 12 rounds of FX handstands. There's a goal met.

Completed:

8 HLL side (half) to side (alternating side)

1 Tuck Flag negative (one each arm)

2x5 Cast Wall Walks

8 HLL, 1 Tuck Flag Negative

1x5 Straddle Wall RLL

8 HLL, 1 Tuck Flag Negative

1x10 Pike HeS RLL

8 HLL, 1 Tuck Flag Negative

Rested 4:30

12 FX HS Cycle

*Notes*

It started raining very hard here today in Arizona randomly so I didn't have access to parallel bars or rings so I swapped Thursdays workout with Tuesdays.

I'm very surprised in my L progress. A couple weeks ago I couldn't even do one HLL (half), now I can 8 HLL very comfortably. I can probably do 10 with max effort. I can now also hold an L hang for 12 seconds which was I was incapable of doing for 1 second two weeks ago. Very surprising. Very good day. Regardless, I think I need to do windshield wipers or something because HLL did not feel to be working my obliques much.

Tuck Flags are fun, but I can't lower out of them well. I can jump up slightly above parallel, hold for half a second and lower very quickly. I don't fall out of it, but I don't have full control yet. Maybe 1/3rd control.

Straddle Wall RLL felt good. First two full ROM and then each one got progressively higher.

Pike HeS RLL are tougher at 10 reps. I want to master that and feel all the way comfortable. Any reason to way pike RLL are at 5 and Straddle at 10?

Vincent Stoyas

Here's an attempt to do Adv. Frog stand -> L sit Tuck -> Tuck Pl -> L sit Tuck at the very end of the third round. Comments? I don't know anything about it, this was pretty much my first time attempting a PL. I know I need to get my legs higher and more even on the Adv. Frog Stand, the one in the video was pretty ugly, but I felt completely comfortable and didn't feel like holding it took much strength at all.

lgusribnoTw

WOD

Adv. Frog Stand -> L Sit Tuck -> Tuck Pl -> L Sit Tuck

3 HeSPU

Adv. Frog Stand -> L Sit Tuck -> Tuck Pl -> L Sit Tuck

5 Ring Dips

Adv. Frog Stand -> L Sit Tuck -> Tuck Pl -> L Sit Tuck

10 Push Ups at bottom of push up I'd lower down on to my forearms and push back up

*NOTES*

The very first Tuck Pl series I did two negatives of Adv. Frogstand -> L Sit Tuck like Coach recommended, but then I figured I might as well try to get some benefit of pushing up into one with straight arms so I combined them.

Have no idea about the form on Tuck Pl, any comments? I'm positive it's not high enough or something.

HeSPU were brutal, everything else was challenging, but manageable.

Vincent Stoyas

I must say I am starting to finally see a big strength improvement. I am very excited with it and hope to keep progressing the way I am. Without any consistent practice and only doing the WODs today I've been able to do:

3 HeSPU (the last HSPU day I was barely able to do 1. On a side note, my crossfit friend told me he could do 8 HeSPU...man that makes me hate crossfit. Arms were very wide, huge arch in the back, and arms flared to the side. I turned over with his form and did 7. What a difference! I struggle to do 3 with STW, but can easily do 7 crossfit style. Blegh.)

2 Russian Dips (I wasn't able to even do a negative the last time I tried)

10s Ring Support (My body finally straightened. Haven't put any focus on it, but I guess now it's trainable)

20s Adv. Frog Stand (20s was easy easy. I lost my balance otherwise I could've probably done 50% more or even doubled it)

Those were the only things I checked today. I stumbled upon each of them accidentally because they were part of the WOD. Very nice. I just need to consistently do the WODs and not lose focus like I typically do. This will definitely encourage me to stay on the path. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Vincent Stoyas

First muscle up yesterday.

I put 0 effort towards it and my false grip is entirely horrible so I didn't start form a deadhang.

Though now that i know I can make it through the transition I'll start working it. It'll be nice to do a real ring strength series.

Vincent Stoyas

Actually went to a jiu jitsu class for the first time. I did learn all the fundamentals with my friend by rolling in the grass in my front yard for some months.

Most of the white belts were relatively new. Arm barred the first two from mount, arm barred the next from back, and locked an arm triangle on the last one, but was too gassed to finish it.

The blue belt rolled the heck out of me. Didn't get submitted, but he was constantly in a better position.

Purple belt submitted me like 4 times haha. I couldn't prevent anything in the slightest he did. So smooth and beautiful.

Then next purple belt I actually swept from butterfly guard into back control, I was very impressed with myself. That was actually one of the techniques of the day. Grab the sleeves, lean back and lift into the air with legs and drop into back control. Very effective. After I did that, he crushed me just to let me know that will never happen again.

Great great fun.

White belts should watch out for when I get my cardio up. I was gassed after the third roll.

Maybe this cardio will help me sleep too, we shall see.

Vincent Stoyas

Oh and here's my favorite quote of the night from the instructor that I eavesdropped when he was asked how to perform dumbbell flies, "You have to go to failure. Probably only 30% of people in the gym go to failure. Failure is the only F-ing way to make gains."

Vincearoo

Forgot to do my WOD this morning before work, oh well, I'll do it tomorrow.

Jiu jitsu is going well, I'm not overly tired or sore the next day from it thankfully. My elbow did pop when I was caught in some kind of odd kimura wrapped in my gi. I've never used a gi before...whole new ball game.

Hyperactive guy stays hyperactive the entire session. He has cardio like a madman. I mounted him and grapevined (crossed my legs under him) and he bucked and pushed for a good minute and half until he finally got out of it. I thought for sure he would be gassed, he was making all kinds of grunts and what not...He'll be good for me to learn how to solidify positions at least.

*Edit*

Oh, I can handle all uperbody conditioning we do, but my lowerbody sure is awful. Had to carry eachother across the gym on our shoulders and backs. I had to do a fast walk, no way I could jog like some of the guys.

Also did wheel barrels, easy. Back and forth no problem.

Moved to handstands, we'd move in different angled positions, also no problem.

Thanks GB for the guide in strength! Multiple people commented that I'm much much stronger than I look, although I'd also like to say my technique has some to do with it, but I also know I'm pretty lean (6'0 and 175lbs) without much hypertrophy.

Vincearoo

Today I did my first chest roll to HS.

I remember trying to work it before, but there was no way. I randomly thought of doing it today and after a few attempts and with a big enough push, I completed a rep. Challenging, but fun.

Jiu jitsu is going well. I went on Friday and I'm all ready supposed to get my first stripe on Monday after a test. I guess my backyard jiu jitsu with my friend payed it's dividends. I've only been there for 2 weeks now, but I'm winning against some of the guy who have 3 stripes on their white belt. Blue belts I just hold on and try not to get submitted for the most part, but I attack if the opportunity presents itself. I've heard that getting a blue belt under this instruct means you're actually like purple belt in other instructor's gyms. Good, I think people get belts too easily anyways.

I came back after Friday though and was not sore at all. What a wonderful sign. If I'm finally adapting to it then I can start working out again. I'm going to need to do a full body work out instead of trying the WODs like I was going to. I'm much too ambitious at times...

I think I might try to do some embedded workouts to get the whole body because I'm unsure how often I'll be able to train and work out at the same time

Skin the cat -> pull from GH to BL tuck + 5 L sit Pull Ups

DH -> FL Tuck + 5 SLS

PL leans + 5 XR Dips

Straddle elbow lever -> L sit tuck + 5 half HLL

Vincearoo

Dynamic Warm Up

Did a more skill based jiu jitsu warm up. Front rolls, back rolls, inverted roll along the wall (imitating berimbolos), double leg take down motions, and a move I don't want to describe because it will take too long, haha.

PreFSPs

Completed 3 of the following:

DH -> Skin the cat to GH -> BL tuck + 5 L pull ups

DH -> FL Tuck + 5 HLL half

PL lean + 5 XR Dips

Straddle Elbow lever -> Lsit tuck + 3 SLS

I really need to work on my L. It's so awful. I need to rebuild my L hang again, it'll make L pull ups so much easier.

I hadn't do XR dips in a long time, first set was difficult, but it got actually got easier by the 3rd set. I'll focus harder on tempo and turn out next time.

L sit tuck I'm not sure if my form is right, or i'm making it too complicated. I need to post a video. Should the shoulders be retracted and depressed as much as possible? That's how I'm doing it now and it makes the position so much more difficult with the active retraction/depression.

Vincearoo

Rest day pretty much for me, although I did about 30 minute work of handstands and QDR.

Plenty of rest between the sets. Although there weren't really any sets, just random movements,

and mobility.

I did work some chest rolls to HeS again, I had to reset my hands to push into a HS though. I'm just content to raise up into the HeS. I rarely work HeSPU so I really need to get consistent about my handstand practice and adding in the HeSPU.

Vincearoo

Dynamic Warm Up

Jiu Jitsu Skills

Completed 3 sets of:

Support -> SS -> RTO Support + 8 pull ups

PL lean + 5 XR Dips

IH -> FL Tuck + 3 SLS

Straddle Elbow Lever -> L sit tuck + 5 HLL

NOTES

Too much work on my elbows, got rid of BL for now and replaced with XR support.

Everything else felt good. XR Dips are going to be easy soon enough, need to think of what to switch them to. RTO dips I suppose, but we'll see.

Elbow lever is feeling very solid, it'll be a decent show off move.