Intro & skill advice

Started by Lee-19, August 25, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,391 Views

Lee-19

Hi i'm Lee and i've been dumbbell free for 6 months!

So since I was 16-17 (just turned 20) my Dad got me involved in typical bodybuilding style training. Then I began doing kind of 'hybrid training' with typical dumbell/barbell exercises and basic body weight exercises together (about a year ago). Which was great but I found that my body (joints in particular) reacted so much better to body weight exercises.

I then decided I wanted to make the switch because for me doing a planche press up is much more impressive/rewarding/safer/fun than pressing 120 kg or deadlifting over double my bodyweight (which is almost certain to destroy my joints) + although I was strong on paper I began to feel slow and 'weak?' which is no good for other sports I play. However I had never heard of levers, handstand push ups as training exercises. (So a big thanks to Coach Sommer and this community who have broadened my horizons.)

So basically I now only use body weight exercises, but also add weights to certain set types to make them more challenging.

Example pull session

20 mins isometric work (BL/FL/Inverted Hang)

20 mins ecc/concentric work (pull up, straight arm pull up, side pull up, supine pull up ect,)

10 mins core work

Example push session

20 mins isometric work (Planches, handstands, reverse planches, improvised iron cross)

20 mins ecc/concentric work (push up, HePU, dips, ect.)

10 mins core work

So these (^^) are my basic sessions without going into massive detail.Its worth saying also that I do this in a regular 'old school' gym so i have to use towels over a smith machine for levers and pull ups.

Finally thankyou to anyone who has took the time to read this and I would appreciate it if you could give me the advice on:

1. Are there any exercises that i could implement that I have missed out?

2. When holding a back lever I can keep my body perfectly straight (no piking) but im finding it impossible to get parallel to the floor (so my head is a little lower than my feet) what am I doing wrong?

3. Although I dont feel I have 'strength issues' with handstand work, I can correct a forward lean by slightly pressing my fingers into the ground, but i cant adjust the opposite way and i cant understand why, any ideas?

4. Lastly, after over a year of stretching I finally have decent hamstring flexibility, but it doesnt seem to translate into active flexibility (i.e. during floor L-Sits), any advice here?

Again thankyou for reading, any and all advice is welcome.

Lee. :mrgreen:

Larry Roseman

Hopefully you are reading and exploring here and finding more answers.

The BTGB book is a good place to begin. However,

information on all the exercises is available here, as well as videos.

Warm-up and pre-hab are considered an essential part of the program - though not dealt extensively in the book.

There are many threads on this site that deal with that.

Take a look at the intro and getting started threads, in the stickies especially.

The standard recommendation is to become involved in the WOD program.

That will address all of the requirements of a well-rounded program.

Perhaps a more seasoned member will address some of your specific concerns...

Sounds like you are making a great start though, and should do very well here!

FIN

Lee-19

Hi FIN,

Reading the BTGB book was what originally got me into gymnastic training and I am reading as many posts on here as possible, but with limited time (due to sorting out university) I end up reading the same posts over and over! Some good information though :D.

Yeah warm up and pre-hab are definitly important, i've studied sport science for 4 years so warm-ups, cool downs and flexibility training are drilled into me by now! :| Knowing physiology well helps also, because although I certainly dont know everything, i've got a 'system' on how to strengthen 'problem joints' like knees, shoulders and wrists and it seems to work...

I am interested in the WOD program though, what is it exactly?

Larry Roseman
Lee-19 said:
Hi FIN,

I am interested in the WOD program though, what is it exactly?

The WOD seem advanced, however are supposed to be scaled back (less difficult moves substituted)

and there is a technique to doing that.

Take a look here ...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1351

viewforum.php?f=12

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1434