Grip Strength & SSC

Started by bloobird, August 22, 2011 · 0 Replies · 2,408 Views

bloobird

Alongside my gymnastics training, rock climbing is my primary sport and physical activity. To help train my grip strength to improve my rock climbing, I bought a hangboard (one of these http://beastmaker.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... 0b0_z1.jpg). It is essentially a set of progressively smaller holds.

I was mulling of ways to structure my training with the device and remembered what I had heard from many climbers I've discussed this with, tendon strength is KEY for finger and grip strength. Then the penny dropped. I thought, hey SSC is structured the way it is to account for tendon strengthening.

So, the point of this is to ask this question: Do you think that using SSC cycles on a single hold until one can hang for 45-60s in a single set and then attempting the next harder hold is a most prudent way to train on a hangboard?