Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Essential College Equiptment

Wheelson

My school's gym is undergoing renovations, so this leaves me with no where to work out besides a planet fitness a bus ride away.

I leave in one week from tomorrow, and I'd like to make a list of essential pieces of equipment to bring to college with me. Any ideas and space savers are very much appreciated!

here's what I've thought of so far:

-BTGB

-Rings

-weight vest

-jumpstretch band

-parralelletes

-camera for recording

-doorway pullup bar*

-Yoga mat

-a decent speedrope*

*: denotes that I do not own yet

Dietary needs:

-protein powder

-almonds

-almond butter (I eat mainly paleo)

any ideas are very welcome, and any comments saying "don't bother bringing that bring _____ instead" are helpful too!

Nicholas Sortino

Almonds are an alright nut, but fairly high in n-6. Though they are fairly bland, and more a little more expensive, macadamia nuts are the way to go if you are eating nuts. The most Monounsaturated fat out of almost any food. And virtually no PUFAs

Joshua Naterman
10 lbs of it haha

HAHAHA me too! And that's just for the Seminar!!! :P :shock: :shock: :shock:

• 5 months later...
Matt Wichlinski

I know this is an old thread, and the debate of supplements will continue, but here is a recent discussion I had with a guy who has studied nutrition and has a few opinions (and claims evidence) about the subject of protein powders and other supplements.

If nothing else, I recommend you do your own research and find out exactly what protein powder actually is and where it comes from. It might not be as beneficial as we think, but then again, I could be totally wrong.

http://www.tssathletics.com/1/post/2012 ... hakes.html

Joshua Naterman

There are a number of fallacies in this, according to the reading I have done. For example, the claim that whey is an inherently fragile protein is only a relative truth. No pasteurization treatments are hotter than 200 degrees, and the functional denaturing temperature of whey is closer to 300 degrees. Baking with whey is stupid, it gets destroyed, but even boiling hot whey drinks do nothing to reduce the nutritional value of the food, just like leaving whey in water for 24 hours does not alter the nutritional value. It does cause a type of denaturing but apparently it is not a functional change meaning that the nutritional properties of the whey have not been compromised by long exposure to water. So, this particular bit regarding pasteurization as a danger to the integrity of whey is a load of hogwash.

There are also a lot of truths:

The enzyme bit is true for sure, and I have absolutely no idea whether the serotonin claims are true or relevant but it certainly could be. The main point of all this seems to be, if nothing else, to have gelatin at the same time as whey since there does seem to be a pretty good body of research regarding glycine and inflammatory metabolic processes and wound healing. I am not too sure about this whole business of gelatin "balancing out the amino acids" but I will take a deeper look into some of these claims.

With the oxidation issue, having plenty of green vegetables in your diet should provide a fair degree of protection but this is way too late for me to say more, I don't have the time to do the necessary research...

Thank you for posting this Matt, very good stuff to look further into.

One thing is for sure: Nothing seems to promote growth the way whey does. I will be doing a bit of looking into this and see what I can dig up, I am very interested in learning more about what I am putting into my body.