• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Home Made Rings

John-Paul Potter

John-Paul Potter

Hi All,

Suggestions appreciated....

I would like to set up some rings in my barn however i am currently unable to afford proper ones (saving up as we speak). Can anyone suggest what i could use as make-shift rings in the meantime.....i have purchased a tow rope (4 tonne breaking point shoud hold me :) ) just need some rings????

Best regards JPP

P.S. already made some paralette bars from plumbing pipework that was linked here that i was very please with :D

George Launchbury

Hi,

Before I had rings I used two loops of rope hanging from a bar, with a short (wider than my hand, but not much more) length of plastic waste pipe threaded on. This kind of gives you 'hanging dip bars' and would be no good for muscle-ups, etc ...but will enable you to work on a number of other skills; pull-ups, rows, dips, support, front/back lever, etc.

Because it had a tendency to spin on the rope I put some holes through the tops (see image below) and that stopped the problem.

handle.jpg

There is really no substitute for good quality purpose-built gymnastic rings, and I would recommend Coach's rings very highly. I gave my Elite Rings away right after my Xtreme Rings arrived!! The texture and solidity/weight were so much nicer to use, and instilled more confidence in their use while inverted, etc.

Knock some of these up, though. They'll give you some good training, and spur you on to getting some proper rings which you'll enjoy all the more for having some starting strength to use them!

Regards,

George.

That's basically what I did, except I threaded the rope through the PVC ( which was the length of my palm ). However, I could see the rope eventually tearing because of abrasion with the pvc ends. You can't muscle up on these but it's good to work pullups. Watch yourself with support as they like to move up and down unexpectantly at times. Doing the punch hole pvc is a good solution to that.

If you had small hands, playground rings could work. I've seen some diagrams of people making their own wood rings, but honestly I don't trust them.

John Sapinoso

i recommend the xtreme rings rings but in the mean time you could search for the cross fit thread that talks about homemade rings. some of the stuff they used were pretty creative like nyla bone rings attatched to dog leashes, fishing purse rings and melted pvc

John-Paul Potter

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Might have to wrestle my dog for his toy ring! :D

Homemade rings are great: it's cheaper and just as effective as the market offers.

All you need is a little imagination and you'll build your own pair.

George Launchbury
Homemade rings are great: it's cheaper and just as effective as the market offers.

All you need is a little imagination and you'll build your own pair.

I strongly disagree. I have experimented with all kinds of rings, and all kinds of textures ...and hands down the real thing is best. Saving a few bucks is not a good trade-off when you consider the consequences of a bad fall should they break under strain if you are inverted or horizontal.

Home builds are fine for starting out, otherwise it's like making your own skis from a few planks - they'll work up to a point.

George.

John-Paul Potter

Got bonus at work this month so went on ebay and bought xtreme rings.....cant wait till i get them!!!! :P

Edward Smith

They ship fast. I live in Australia and I got mine in one week, ordered 'em Tuesday got them next Tuesday, that's fast!!!

Ed

Yeah mine came to the UK in about 7 days ish. very good and totally agree with George RE the elites, mine got given away as well.

• 1 month later...

Buy rings from Hungary. :lol: I bought my rings for 3000 forints (in dollars, that means 13-15$) Very cheap, i think. Next week, im going to take a photo from it. Sometimes, when im going out, i bring with me them, and when i want to train, i hang them up to a tree. ( I bought some accesories beside the rings)

• 2 months later...
EagleScout316

Just started training off some of the exercises on this site bout a month ago, and went ahead and made some home made rings last night. Spent 5 minutes on them doing Inverted Rows, Bulgarian Dips, and pushups, and my upper body was officially thrashed. Plugged the PVC pipe (1" by 24", with a 3/4" diameter) with play sand and duct taped both ends. Preheated oven to 350 degrees, then stuck each pipe in there on an aluminum covered cookie sheet, then took them out and bent them into the bottom of a fishing pail - turned out to almost be perfect circles. Hacksawed a piece of the ends off, then threaded 244 lb. nylon rope through so that it went over itself in the pipe 3 times, made a snake roll on each end twice (that's where you wrap one end of rope one way around itself, and the other end in the other direction, but both move towards each other), then tied two overhand knots. Connected them to 1" by 12' lashing straps, suspended them from the beam in my basement, and so far they are working out pretty sweet. I do agree, though, that for inversions and such, I'll go ahead and pay to protect against possible falls and just get Xtreme Rings, but for now, these make a great addition to my conditioning.

Home Made, Home Trained,

Home Schooled, Home Ruled,

-Eagle Scout 3:16 8)

some rings are better than no rings. i've seen some nice homemade rings but i'm not sure if i would trust the laminate wood rings I've seen on CF. Homemade curved rings could work for MU, but for 50+shipping rings can be had. Some sort of metal ring plus cargo straps and you're done.

• 3 weeks later...
Stephen Casey

My homemade rings, which are a substitute until we can afford actual ones from this site, were made from Home Depot materials. I bought two (2) 1-foot lengths of rubberized electrical conduit and threaded through that two (2) 13 inch links of chain attached by a 250-pound test carabiner. Then I used two come-along straps to hang on the tree, hooked one come-along hook into the eye of the other hook, and then hung the chain/conduit loops onto the lower, open hook. I wrapped the rubber loops with hockey tape so they will be grippy and not slick. It takes a bit to get the lengths adjusted, but until we can afford actual rings it was a < $20 substitute.

Keep up with us on our workout log titled "Stephen's and son's workout log"

My first ring-like things I made were pretty sketchey, but It taught me how to do a muscle-up.

What I did was take a strong stick and And a metal rod and then tied some sturdy string on them.

It was ghetto, but it worked. it was a real hassle trying to tie them up level though. :lol: