Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of My Favorite Authors

Coach Sommer

Yukio Mishima is always a good read, too. He was very influenced by physical culture as well and was a very dedicated bodybuilder.

Speaking of Literature, I am very interested on studying up on the origins of gymnastics in ancient greece and especially the role it played in society. Any recommendations?

Preferably in german, english, french oder italian.

Quick Start Test Smith
Oh, the Silmarillion is beautiful. I love the history it creates! I had so many questions about who these people were in LotR and The Hobbit, like Galadriel and some of the other names that get mentioned like Earindel a few others, and you don't just get answers... you get the feeling that you just watched one of the more awesome History Channel specials!

Exactly! I would dare to say that Silmarillion is way better than LotR.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think The Silmarillion can be compared to the Lord of the Rings in the way. The Lord of the Rings is simply part of the great history of The Silmarillion, and Tolkien didn't even consider it his primary piece of work. LOTR is like a a few sentences of The Silmarillion expanded upon with great detail. In The Silmarillion, the entire story of LOTR may be summarized as, "A humble hobbit who lived in a hole in the ground, through the courageous efforts of his many and loyal companions as well as his own, carried the Great Ring and threw it into the fires of Mount Doom." Then Tolkien might continue to discuss other big events. See what I mean? "Tip of the iceberg" and whatnot... :lol:

Another example would be one of those pictures you see in a typical biology textbook. It's got a depiction of the human body and a zoomed in section of one cell. The human body is The Silmarillion and the cell? ... The cell is LOTR. :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman
Speaking of Literature, I am very interested on studying up on the origins of gymnastics in ancient greece and especially the role it played in society. Any recommendations?

Preferably in german, english, french oder italian.

Entshuldegung, ich habe keine ahnung wo du kannst das finden. Meine deutch is sehr shlecht jetst, ich have kein Deutch sprachen in tzehn jahre!

That probably has all kinds of mis-spelling, my apologies lol! Once upon a time I was nearly fluent.

Entshuldegung, ich habe keine ahnung wo du kannst das finden. Meine deutch is sehr shlecht jetst, ich have kein Deutch sprachen in tzehn jahre!

That probably has all kinds of mis-spelling, my apologies lol! Once upon a time I was nearly fluent.

Ich bevorzuge deine Rechtschreibung. :P

The origins of gymnastics, even in Greece, really depends on what you consider to be "gymnastics." The ancient games certainly weren't what we see today. As far as my understanding goes, Greek gymnastics started out as one would expect: where play and exercise were combined and later became more standardized. Though it included wrestling and throwing. And it's important to note that gymnasiums also were social and philosophical places. The word gymnast does come from a variant of Greek though. Gymnasia referred to exercise, gymnazo to train (culturally assumed this meant naked), and gymnastēs is the basis for our word gymnast (first used in 1594 in English), though it means more "trainer" than "gymnast." :)

In any event, the acrobatics portion of gymnastics goes back to at least ancient Egypt. If not way earlier in human history. I think it's a pretty natural human instinct to play with balance and strength.

Some reading for ya. Some of it is more academia, but hope you can find something along what you wanted. If not, I can dig up more references--these are just ones I am familiar with and could remember.

[*:3gaa38bb]Essays on Sport History and Sport Mythology (Walter Prescott Webb Memorial Lectures, published for the University of Texas at)
    [*:3gaa38bb]Forbes, C.A. (1929). Greek Physical Education. New York: The Century Company.
    [*:3gaa38bb]Harris, H.A. (1972). Sport in Greece and Rome. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
    [*:3gaa38bb]Matthews, D.O. (1969). A Historical Study of the Aims, Contents, and Methods of Swedish, Danish, and German Gymnastics. Proceedings National College Physical Education Association for Men. 72nd, January.
    [*:3gaa38bb]Sport history By Douglas A. Noverr, Lawrence Edward Ziewacz
    [*:3gaa38bb]The International Journal of the History of Sport http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/

Adriano Katkic

• [*:gxgd4hli]Essays on Sport History and Sport Mythology (Walter Prescott Webb Memorial Lectures, published for the University of Texas at)
    [*:gxgd4hli]Forbes, C.A. (1929). Greek Physical Education. New York: The Century Company.
    [*:gxgd4hli]Harris, H.A. (1972). Sport in Greece and Rome. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
    [*:gxgd4hli]Matthews, D.O. (1969). A Historical Study of the Aims, Contents, and Methods of Swedish, Danish, and German Gymnastics. Proceedings National College Physical Education Association for Men. 72nd, January.
    [*:gxgd4hli]Sport history By Douglas A. Noverr, Lawrence Edward Ziewacz
    [*:gxgd4hli]The International Journal of the History of Sport
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/

Awesome! Thanks for this!

Thanks for your recommendations!

Slizzardman, your german is way better than my english, so your fine :D

Joshua Naterman
Thanks for your recommendations!

Slizzardman, your german is way better than my english, so your fine :D

Ha! Not unless you're posting with Google Translate!