Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazing Biceps

Bob Sanders

How do I get the biceps the Gymnasts has? What exercise do they do to get them popping out like that? Please don't tell me the only thing they did is pull ups and more pull up and some more with weights. Because I hate pull ups. I don't know why I can hate they way they feel. So what is the secret? Can someone spill the beans?

Nic Scheelings

My understanding is the secret is straight arm strength moves, eg Iron cross, that result in the gymnasts incredible biceps. Though i'd learn to like pullups if i were u, as good pullups are a must in my opinion, before u can even dream of a cross.

David Picó García

You should read the articles section of this website:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/articles2.html

It's what Demus stated, but in the link is the answer. This was a really surprise for me with some bodybuilding background training.

But when you start to do some planche or cross training you can understand the great development of the biceps without flexing them :shock:

yes that article will explain the amazing bicep size. id say the main reason for the unbeleviable size of olympic gymnasts biceps is probably maltese work

Big muscle is prevention for joints, in this case for elbows. Iron cross, swallow, inverted cross and planche all this elemnts are formed in straight arms and alot of body weight pressure is on elbows. Here is biceps important to keep the joint save.

When I finish my rutine on rings I always feel my biceps tired. Ofcourse is not basic rutine (for now 16,3 in november hope for 16,7 start score).

David Picó García

Yes, im starting cross training, (assisted with elastic bands), and my limiting factor by far are the elbows, although i have in comparison big biceps and can do pull ups and chinups or scale the rope easily, i need much more strength on the biceps.

Well pulls up, pull ups and more pull ups, and a lot of straight arm work, these gymnasts have been working for years on their strength to get the results they did, you better have time and hard work on your mind. Another thing you came here for the wrong reasons if you are looking to get big biceps, a puffy chest, but you will get strong quicker than you will big biceps, so work gymnastics and put the rest of that stuff in the closet until you've exercised for at least a year; until then don't look for big biceps.

And you better start liking pull ups, because pull ups give you the ladies and are impressive not big biceps.

No I am not here to just get big bicep. That is my only strength problem area because I only work with body weights and seeing that I don't like... actually chin ups not pull ups because I work on pull ups in my routine. Does the frog stand work the bicep? I am working on that right now and I don't seem to feel an soreness or anything but I guess I need to hold longer as I always fall down.

All straight arm work will help you, once you progress into the tuck planche you will feel it more, most people have been mentioning things such as Cross, Maltese, swallows, and planche because they have the greatest leverage which will put more pressure on your elbow joints, so the more leverage you apply the greater the force that is on your joints, so until then you will not feel it as much, but they are getting stronger and getting you ready for harder skills.

David Picó García

just try to do a plache lean with palms looking backwards (this is from a standar push up position but with palms looking to your feet and the lean forward to a plache position, of course with feet on the floor :roll: ) and you will notice all the preassure in the elbow-low biceps.

the progressions of planche training with palms looking backward puts more emphasis on biceps than with palms forward where the wrist and forearms can assist more to stabilize the elbow.

just try to do a plache lean with palms looking backwards (this is from a standar push up position but with palms looking to your feet and the lean forward to a plache position, of course with feet on the floor :roll: ) and you will notice all the preassure in the elbow-low biceps.

the progressions of planche training with palms looking backward puts more emphasis on biceps than with palms forward where the wrist and forearms can assist more to stabilize the elbow.

Sorry I am not understanding this? Can you explain better or show a picture? You want my hands facing backwards you mean? Like my fingers are facing back to my feet?

David Picó García

yes i meant that (with feet on floor of course :roll: ). You have to lean slowly and controlled, (and yes a pillow under your head wouldnt hurt :wink: ) because if you go beyond your possibility... well you know :?

yes i meant that (with feet on floor of course :roll: ). You have to lean slowly and controlled, (and yes a pillow under your head wouldnt hurt :wink: ) because if you go beyond your possibility... well you know :?
Feet on the floor? Feet extended? You mean like a full planch? Right now I am at the frog stand level so that was what I did with the knees on elbows and I fell.

Nic Scheelings

Seretonin does not mean a full planche. He means a pseudo planche pushup position. Feet are definitely on the floor, hands are as close to ur hips as possible, and in this case ur hands are facing backwards. Exactly like the picture that was posted except feet are on the floor.

psuedo planche pushups dont really effectively hit your biceps no matter which way you place your hands. front lever progressions will work your biceps to some extent. add rope climbs/cirques to this and you will see good bicep development and it will put in a decent foundation for advanced straight arm work

I've known rope works but never do them because one I don't have a tree to hand on and two I'll have to look for some thick ropes. But I will see what I can do. But on the other hand how should I add rope climbing into my workout? Should it be counts as a conditioning workout, timed. Or the sets and rep kinda thing?

David Picó García
psuedo planche pushups dont really effectively hit your biceps

Yes, you are right, that why i was talking about forward leans where you don't flex the elbows (which is the start position prom pseudo planche push ups), when you flex just a bit, all the pressure from the biceps go to the triceps. In fact this is an easier position than tuck planche as you have your feet on floor. In fact there isn't much difference from knees on floor or feet, as you have to lean more or less just a bit before 'the point of no return' where your face hit the floor :?

Ropes are hard and great, but i feel the exercise a lot in the elbows so i have to take it easy, and can`t do as many reps as i would like.

Right now I am at the frog stand level so that was what I did with the knees on elbows and I fell.

thats why i said to start in a normal push up position and SLOWLY and CONTROLLED lean forward to the start position of a pseudo planche before the point of no return' :P . This of course depending on your strength level could be more a standard push up position than a planche position.

psuedo planche pushups dont really effectively hit your biceps

Yes, you are right, that why i was talking about forward leans where you don't flex the elbows (which is the start position prom pseudo planche push ups), when you flex just a bit, all the pressure from the biceps go to the triceps. In fact this is an easier position than tuck planche as you have your feet on floor. In fact there isn't much difference from knees on floor or feet, as you have to lean more or less just a bit before 'the point of no return' where your face hit the floor :?

Ropes are hard and great, but i feel the exercise a lot in the elbows so i have to take it easy, and can`t do as many reps as i would like.

Right now I am at the frog stand level so that was what I did with the knees on elbows and I fell.

thats why i said to start in a normal push up position and SLOWLY and CONTROLLED lean forward to the start position of a pseudo planche before the point of no return' :P . This of course depending on your strength level could be more a standard push up position than a planche position.

I meant the Frog Stand with the knees against the elbow.

I can't wait to get my rings. I want to try all those exercise you are talking about. Oh man and the Iron Cross. What an eye popper that'll be!

Guest Garre33

I have to say, I just set up the rings I received in the mail today, and the 5 minutes I've just spent on them has been one of the most humbling experiences ever... I feel like a worthless piece of crap. haha! I can barely hold all 135 lbs of myself up without my arms trembling wildly... Now I'm REALLY excited to see how different I'll look after I can perform many of the workouts you guys have listed...

• 1 month later...
I have to say, I just set up the rings I received in the mail today, and the 5 minutes I've just spent on them has been one of the most humbling experiences ever... I feel like a worthless piece of crap. haha! I can barely hold all 135 lbs of myself up without my arms trembling wildly... Now I'm REALLY excited to see how different I'll look after I can perform many of the workouts you guys have listed...

Hi Titan and Garre,

How your arm results now with the Rings, did you already make good results?

Guest Garre33

Hey bodyguard,

I have definitely made noticeable changed to my strength and appearance in the last 2 month, with the biggest changes to appearance being my back and chest. Lately I've only been doing planche progressions on the ground and rings, ring pullups and pushups, ring dips, and things like that. I've been busy with other activities like gymnastics and kickboxing/martial arts, but I'll dive back into the rings when the dvd get here!

My arms are bigger, even my roommate and friends have noticed. Have you ordered the rings yet?