Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fixing Muscle Imbalances

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

My entire right side upper body musculature is slightly larger than that of my left side. Quite noticeably so, at least to me.

What do you guys think a guy like me should do to remedy this problem? :)

Actually one of the best things you can do is to do exercises that work both sides at the same time rather than doing exercises only with the left. It's slower, but it eventually fixes the problem without putting too much strain on the weaker side at once.

Its also pretty normal. Opinions vary on how important the right left symmetry is for normal life, but for most gymnastics you don't want one side to overpower the other, everything will skew to one side.

For once i like Seiji's advice ( :D ) Notice if you have that tendency to skew or favor one side and work to move through the central axis.

A simple example for myself, doing hollow or arch rocks, i start to turn to the left, i focus more on keeping the rock straight.

Quick Start Test Smith

Hahaha :D

I have been working bilateral upper body exercises primarily already. I guess I am unconsciously doing more work on my right than my left. I'll increase my focus on staying balanced.

Doing a serious stretching routine on the less flexible side of your body can also help balance out your body. I've been concentrating on increasing flexibility on my right side of my body and now whenever I walk/jog, I feel the left side of my abs working out and I'm also feeling my left side work more whenever I do pushups.

Joshua Naterman
Doing a serious stretching routine on the less flexible side of your body can also help balance out your body. I've been concentrating on increasing flexibility on my right side of my body and now whenever I walk/jog, I feel the left side of my abs working out and I'm also feeling my left side work more whenever I do pushups.

This can be big, and this is exactly how you treat scoliosis. Stretch the tight side (concave side of the curvature) and strengthen/tighten the loose side (convex side). Takes a few years to completely fix moderate cases but it can be done. You have to be super consistent.

Like the guys said, your best bet is to perform bilateral exercises focusing on keeping your body perfectly even, not more on one side. Sometimes this involves taking a step backwards and doing things that challenge the weaker side but not the stronger side.

You can also try to do some volume work for the smaller side.

• 4 weeks later...

One more thing: fixing your posture/form can make a great difference also. Once I fixed my posture by pusing my pelvis a little forward and hollow my lower back slightly, I can finally feel my hamstrings working on a couple of exercises that I first thought was ineffective.

Joshua Naterman
Actually one of the best things you can do is to do exercises that work both sides at the same time rather than doing exercises only with the left. It's slower, but it eventually fixes the problem without putting too much strain on the weaker side at once.

Jeff is right, I mean you CAN fix things bilaterally but that is very hard to do. Unilateral work gives a much more honest assessment of what is wrong and how much one side is off, and allows you to make much more consistently useful evaluations as well as rehabilitation. The two arm work is a great tool to use as your recovery progresses to let you know where you are at, but it really isn't the best way to even things out. Too many small ways to cheat that even a practiced eye can miss.

Sometimes when people are really screwed up you can't even do DB bench with both arms at the same time, but like Jeff said individual loads for the arms are really what you need.

If your movement patterns are ok then you can try doing bilateral stuff, but always set your limits based on the weak arm. I am personally using single arm push ups with a spot for this, and while it is a very hard movement it really works wonders. Unilateral work really does re-train movement patterns much better than bilateral work in my experience. There are obvious special cases but that's not relevant here.