Breaking down the getting started workout

Started by Jeremy Kieley, July 25, 2011 · 12 Replies · 3,585 Views

Jeremy Kieley

Alright so the getting started workout found here is the one I'll be working on. But I want to break it down and ask a few questions first.

So it has five parts:

1--WOD (obviously scaled) four times a week

2--Warm-ups for WOD will include FSP work

3--Joint and mobility prep

4--Extra prehab/mobility work after WOD (some is contained in the WOD itself)

5--"Serious" half hour stretch session (once a week for 4-6 weeks, then twice a week)

So before the scaled WOD, we have the warm ups(2) and Joint and mobility prep(3) correct?

The Joint and Mobility prep is

routine which consists of:

  • - Palms Down Wrist Rotations (hands placed in each direction)
    - Palms Up Wrist Rotations (hands placed in each direction)
    - Fingertip Push ups
    - Plank position finger lifts (don't know the actual name of this movement)
    - Plank position wrist lifts (again I don't know the name of this)
    - Wrist pushups (as shown in Coach's video)

All done for about 10 reps it seems.

And then it's ankle work and explosive push ups. Should all this be done before doing the warm up (listed below). Is doing this whole mobility routine a little much for a beginner or should I definitely be doing it all because I'm a beginner? Or maybe this isn't the best routine to be using as it is mostly all wrist based. Should I be doing something else or have additional movements added to the above?

The warm up consists of:

  • - 60s plank
    - 60s reverse plank
    - 60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head
    - 60s arch hold in the superman flying position
    - 60s Parallel Bar support.
    - 60s chin up grip dead hang

For me, it's going to be 3 sets of each for as long as I can hold it in good form up to 60s.

So I've read that the plank isn't supposed to be your average plank. It's supposed to be a "Hollow chest, hollow hips straight-arm plank". So what does this exactly mean? What is "hollow chest" and "hollow hips"? How do you do them.

Also I wanted to make sure I'm not mixing up what a pelvic tuck is. Is it when your pelvis raises towards your abs in the front?

For the extra prehab/mobility work after the WOD (4), what should you be doing here?

For the serious stretch session once a week (and then twice a week when you adjust), would a long Yoga Session once a week do it? I was thinking like the P90X Yoga X routine. Would this work?

Thank you to anyone who helps, I really appreciate it.

Blairbob

Look up "anal lock" in reference to pelvic tilt. Or as I say squeeze butt, suck/squeeze gut. "kegel?"

Lay on floor on face. Now squeeze butt, point toes. Try to suck up belly button off ground.

Generally I warm up with shrugs in hang and in support. And swings in either.

Cole Dano

For mobility work, you are only doing wrists, don't forget shoulders, etc....

In the FSP work, you don't need to do 3 x for every element and don't progress beyond an element until you can hit its goal time.

For the elements that you can't do the goal time - do them 3x.

Jeremy Kieley
Blairbob said:
Look up "anal lock" in reference to pelvic tilt. Or as I say squeeze butt, suck/squeeze gut.

Lay on floor on face. Now squeeze butt, point toes. Try to suck up belly button off ground.

Generally I warm up with shrugs in hang and in support. And swings in either.

Thanks. I understand what pelvic tuck is now.

Mr Brady said:
For mobility work, you are only doing wrists, don't forget shoulders, etc....

In the FSP work, you don't need to do 3 x for every element and don't progress beyond an element until you can hit its goal time.

For the elements that you can't do the goal time - do them 3x.

Thanks. I'll be sure to add in other work besides wrist. Yeah, that's what I meant. I'll do 3 sets for each exercise unless I can hit the goal time in which case I'll just do one.

So that just leaves two questions I think:

1) So I've read that the plank isn't supposed to be your average plank. It's supposed to be a "Hollow chest, hollow hips straight-arm plank". So what does this exactly mean? What is "hollow chest" and "hollow hips"? How do you do them.

2) For the serious stretch session once a week (and then twice a week when you adjust), would a long Yoga Session once a week do it? I was thinking like the P90X Yoga X routine. Would this work?

Blairbob

Look for Dillon Zrike's recent explanation and demonstration of PL.

Jeremy Kieley
Blairbob said:
Look for Dillon Zrike's recent explanation and demonstration of PL.

Ok, thank you. I think I've found what you're talking about.

Which leaves one more question. Is a long yoga workout once or twice a week acceptable for the stretching routine Coach recommends?

Blairbob

Possibly. Dan John thinks good of it.

I sometimes do something similar, without the pants, incense, music and hot babes in yoga pants and awkward positions to my dismay.

Jeremy Kieley
Blairbob said:
Possibly. Dan John thinks good of it.

I sometimes do something similar, without the pants, incense, music and hot babes in yoga pants and awkward positions to my dismay.

Well I guess that's where we differ. I've gotta have the full tight yoga attire and everything. My girlfriend may oppose it but I gotta do what I gotta do for my training! :lol:

aikideshi

How do you do the following

- Plank position finger lifts (don't know the actual name of this movement)

- Plank position wrist lifts (again I don't know the name of this)

Is this for count or time/duration?

Jeremy Kieley
aikideshi said:
How do you do the following
- Plank position finger lifts (don't know the actual name of this movement)

- Plank position wrist lifts (again I don't know the name of this)

Is this for count or time/duration?

According to the video it's done for reps.

aikideshi

Which video? Could you please include the link to the video? Thanks.

Jeremy Kieley
aikideshi said:
Which video? Could you please include the link to the video? Thanks.

aikideshi

Thanks. Got it :D