Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3-hour Bedtime Fast

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

I read that you should not eat or drink within three hours of going to bed. Is there any real value in doing that? I eat supper about an hour before bed and then I get my vitamins...

Samuel Carr

I heard water isn't very good because it makes your body work to store it and you could have to get up to go to the bathroom. I try and eat something with slow digesting proteins though

No, there is no evidence that eating before bed is detrimental.

Why do you say this when you don't know? There is evidence that eating before bed supresses growth hormone release. That being said, it's nothing I worry much about, the problem is mainly with carbs and not so much fats and protein.

RatioFitness
No, there is no evidence that eating before bed is detrimental.

Why do you say this when you don't know? There is evidence that eating before bed supresses growth hormone release. That being said, it's nothing I worry much about, the problem is mainly with carbs and not so much fats and protein.

Why do you say I don't know? Are you implying that no studies have looked at this subject? Of course there has, and late night eating is at worst equal to morning eating, and at best superior to morning eating.

WitnessTheFitness

I always drink a protein shake immediately before heading to bed. Otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night with sharp hunger pains.

Do you know if anything's wrong with fruits and vegetables after 8 p.m.? I usually go to sleep at 11 or 12...

Philip Chubb

With the fruit, it could depend on what kind. A grape banana shake could have enough to raise insulin high enough to lower the growth hormone from sleeping.

Quick Start Test Smith

Would a few vegetables be fine about an hour before sleep? What I eat for supper varies greatly, but it's generally some sort of meat with a bit of greens. I eat fruit quite rarely, and generally only after a workout.

Guys, this is like thing #50 most people need to worry about. I'm just mentioning, depending on conditions, eating before bed can be detrimental.

Guys, this is like thing #50 most people need to worry about. I'm just mentioning, depending on conditions, eating before bed can be detrimental.

:) Good I won't worry about it then!

Philip Chubb

Razz makes a great point.

Patrick if you are curious, start with looking up the connection between insulin and GH along with the GL of whatever veggies you are planning on eating before bed.

RatioFitness

Do you know if anything's wrong with fruits and vegetables after 8 p.m.? I usually go to sleep at 11 or 12...

There's nothing wrong with it.

RatioFitness

But how do you know it can be detrimental? What evidence are you basing this claim on?

Making a claim based on a hormone's physiological function isn't really evidence, especially when trials have looked at the actual endpoints we are interested in. The reason is that (1) protein synthesis and lipid oxidation are controlled by a host of hormonal and gene interactions. You can't assume that a change in a single hormone will make a real world difference. And (2), you can't assume that a single acute change in a day will make a difference to what is really a chronic process.

Quick Start Test Smith
Razz makes a great point.

Patrick if you are curious, start with looking up the connection between insulin and GH along with the GL of whatever veggies you are planning on eating before bed.

Thanks, Phillip. I'll try to remember to do that.

Actually Bodybuilders have to eat......or shall i say MUST eat before bed time. Because they believe that going to sleep on an empty stomach will cause their body to eat itself, thus losing their hard earned muscles. And yes they turn out fine always munching before bed......some extreme bodybuilders even get up at night to crack a few raw eggs or down a protein shake.

Philip Chubb

Anytime Patrick. Helps me in stopping insuline spikes for sure.

Radio, Don't forget that the hormones are also connected. Such as insulin resistance and cortisol. If one is out of wack then it could knock others out too. Though like Razz said, most people could start with not having a pint of Ben and Jerrys before bed.

RatioFitness
Anytime Patrick. Helps me in stopping insuline spikes for sure.

Radio, Don't forget that the hormones are also connected. Such as insulin resistance and cortisol. If one is out of wack then it could knock others out too. Though like Razz said, most people could start with not having a pint of Ben and Jerrys before bed.

Late-night eating doesn't have any effect on circadian cortisol rhythms.

Also, this 6 month study found eating most of your days carbs for dinner lead to lower insulin levels and blood glucose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Philip Chubb

I believe that could depend on what you're eating. Especially with what I have read and experienced from Poliquin on refined junk waking you up in the middle of the night and keeping you there. Thank you for the study but I am skeptical with science sometimes. It is important and useful but often these studies can be so far behind.

I certainly believe eating your carbs around dinner is a good thing because it will raise serotonin before bed. I'm just not into the old school bodybuilding style of having to eat 1 second before going to sleep and waking up to cram down more food. Robb Wolf and Poliquin both support not eating 2-3 hours before bed.

The carbs at dinner study can't conclude anything though. Dinner and before bed are two different scenarios. Also if people have a large carb intake, moving it from the breakfast to dinner is advantageous for appetite control and cravings during the day and as mentioned serotonin.

I did do a quick search for studies but found nothing interesting, so I may be wrong. I doubt both Robb and Poliquin are wrong though, but they could be. Nevertheless I try never to eat a high carb meal right before bed that's all I care.

But does water make any difference right before bed?

Overthinking. Stay hydrated as you need. Of course don't chug 2 liters right before so you have to get up and pee...

Just a question:

How can a person know if his body is insuline sensitive or resistant? It's only by medical tests? As far as I understand, if it's insuline sensitive, he'll get more of the anabolic efect, so carbs can be higher in the diet. If he's insuline resistant, he'll get more of the lipolytic effects, so carbs should be lower.

I'm having some daily fruits and some are at evening, but I didn't notice any lipolytic effect, so maybe I'm insuline sensitive... that would be cool. :)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.