Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner getting started with bridges

froggy

Hi! I'm not a gymnast (or athlete) but I've been returning to fitness and decided to give bridging a go to work on my spine since other bodyweight exercises don't quite do that. I'm 35 and I've been back at general exercise for a year.

I read about wall walking and can go half way but my arms are always bent. I also feel like it isn't safe since, if I slip off the wall, I'll crash head first. I'm flexible enough for a bent knee head bridge (not strong enough to hold it long) but the arm and shoulder strength doesn't have me feeling safe on the wall either.

There are some posts I've looked at in the search feature that say "there are bridging progressions" but I've never actually seen anything for beginners to get into a bridge. The progressions are more of a "first tie your spine into a pretzel, then undo it, then you're ready to do a quadruple backflip and land in a handstand on a splintery log over a pit of steaming lava" kind of affair; very cool for people who can do it but not quite what I was looking for as a beginner.

So are there beginning progressions that could help? Then I'll be ready for the lava pit. Thanks!

Philip Chubb

A good way to progress the bridge is with something like stairs or some sort of step. You put your feet on the step and then work bridges from there. The elevation will give you better leverage to work with. As that becomes easier, simply reduce the height of the step or block or whatever you are using to elevate your feet. Eventually, you will be able to do it on the ground.

Thank you Philip for the tip. Unfortunately, since I'm feeling unsafe with wall walking after a few tries, I tried the foot elevation and there was simply no-go. I could bridge with the shoulders touching the floor but the arms simply can not push up in any way no matter where the feet are.

Is there something even more for beginners? I saw the site at advancedbridging.com but I really don't want to spend $150 on a single move, even though it looks like it would be a great spine exercise. Is there a tip, a book or a web page for total beginners to the bridge? I have to assume there's something like this out there.

Philip Chubb

If that is the case then you may want to increase your strength before returning to bridge work. If the arms can't push you into a bridge, then a bridge isn't going to work.

There are a few things that come to mind that you might try.

First, make sure you warm up to the bridge, arch holds, and the bridge on the shoulder for reps is a good way to start.

Its not so unusual for beginners to have a hard time pressing up, and often in the beginning it feels like having the feet up only makes it harder. This will change once you get the hang of it.

One progression is to do partials in two ways. One, from the floor just press up enough to rest on the crown of your head. The second using either a bench or better yet an exercise ball, get your hands to the floor and press up off the ball. You may need to place your feet on an elevated surface or wall.

Finally when you are ready to try to press all the way up, do it with your hands at a wall. Being able to press against the wall makes the movement easier, and keeps the hands from feeling they are going to slip away.

There are lots of little details in bridging best learned with a coach or yoga teacher. The main thing to be careful of is going too much into the lower back. This is more of a problem for some one who is weak in back support. So be careful of this.

Sj-wtflDZ_0

Do your bridge off a bed or couch. Start with your arms already locked out. This is much easier for 4yo as many do not have the bent arm strength to push off the floor into one.

Kick to a HS against the wall. Hands must be placed at least 1 foot away from wall. Eventually be able to kick to a HS against wall with hands further out. You could try walking out from there but it's a little more difficult.

Doing Bridge wall walks with bent arms defeats the purpose. They must be done with straight arms.

Thank you for the tips! From my current meager level of strength I can't do any straight arm wall walking so it's good to know how to make the move happen properly when I'm up to it.

The shortened range of arm motion work looks like the next step for me. The combination of stretch and overhead arm pushing feels good to get me ready for the full bridge, and I can work on the spinal strength without the arms with the shoulder bridging movement. This is just what I hoped for.