New to Gymnastics

Started by army, July 2, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,993 Views

army

Greetings ,

I know this question has been asked thousand times , but I could not find my solution through search, so I decided to start new topic.

I recently purchased the book GB and yesterday, started to train by the methods that are shown in the book, I mean, I picked almost every "move's" starting level and started to just implement them into my regular strength training routine , so here are my questions.

1.Should I conduct Static routines before the main strength routines (pull ups, dips, push ups) or after them?

2. I cannot hold even the starter moves for more than 2-5 seconds. (my body is very strangely arranged , upper body is shaped and I can almost see my abs , but my lower body is fat , So I think maybe that is the problem...) should I keep doing this 2-5 seconds holds or what would you suggest me to do?

3. In the book I was unable to find any kind of Very Beginner routine, I will appreciate if you write me one.

My stats are:

72 consecutive push ups

7 pull ups

86 sit ups in a row

thnx!

D Nowell

Welcome and I hope this helps - your questions have already been addressed:

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5265

Then read this entire thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4313

Depending on your ability level, that may be plenty for now to get you started and to test the waters. If you like the training after a few weeks then you can either a) put together programming from the recommendations in the book; b) search the forum for the "killroy template," which is the same as 'a' but already done for you if you don't want to work on critical reading skills; or c) the most recommended option - to start following the WODs and scale to your ability level.

There is suppose to be a 2nd edition of the first book at some point... The above links etc fills in some of the missing information and is your best bet at starting off right.

Quick Start Test Smith

Welcome, Army!

The threads Danny linked to are essential! Read them, and if you have any questions remaining, please ask! :mrgreen:

Blairbob

Do FSP warmups, then FSP then FBE. If FSP skills are too tough, do tucked L's.

Honestly many beginners won't be able to even start off with the basic FSP from the getgo. I would still play with them as skill work.

Do about 3m of volume with the FSP warmups.

army

THANKS! I appreciate you help!