My straddle planche form is horrible

Started by Kim Jongseong, June 30, 2011 · 6 Replies · 6,811 Views

Kim Jongseong

143507.jpg

I was able to hold flat tuck planche for 20secs so i decided to move on straddle planche last month. now I can hold that weird planche for 8 secs. The problem is my hips are too much higher than my shoulders and I can't open my legs completely. When i try to lower my hips, i lose my blance and fall foward. I've practised this position for a month. Thank for any suggestions.

Falcon

Do you have planche leans in your workout to strenghten your lean?

Also, the bent legs issue is due to flexibility, are you stretching? If not, then I would recommend adding a stretching session after every workout to improve your active flexibility.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

Yaad Mohammad

To get your straddle straight just lean more forward, your body will automatically adapt. And I agree with Falcon, you're not flexible enough to get your legs straight. However, if your end goal is a full planche, then it's not a problem. Good luck!

Kim Jongseong
Falcon said:
Do you have planche leans in your workout to strenghten your lean?

Also, the bent legs issue is due to flexibility, are you stretching? If not, then I would recommend adding a stretching session after every workout to improve your active flexibility.

http://agt.degreesofclarity.com/stretching/

Thank you for the advice. I started stretching yesterday. I hate that now i realize flexibility is as important as strength.

Seiji

I don't see how his positioning is caused by a lack of flexibility. Flexibility in what?

Like someone said already, it fixes itself with more forward lean.

Falcon
Seiji said:
I don't see how his positioning is caused by a lack of flexibility. Flexibility in what?

Like someone said already, it fixes itself with more forward lean.

Active flexibility plays a huge role in straddle variations of static holds, and also pike compression in pike HS presses and L-sit. My straddle back lever looks like his planche when I try to do straddle, so I've started stretching and replaced the straddle with half lay instead, due to my poor active flexibility, my straddle is more like full lay.

EDIT: I'm of course talking about his bent legs, not the fact that his planche is above horizontal.

RatioFitness

Place your body on a reverse-hyper or pommel horse (or other similar platform) and then extend your legs in a straddle. If you can do that then active flexibility isn't your problem.