one legged Squat

Started by newguy5000, June 23, 2011 · 6 Replies · 3,960 Views

newguy5000

Hi guys. Just thought i would post on something that happened today in my training. I hurt my rotator recently so i went back to doing loads of mobility / flexability work and as time went by added in basic static holds for 60 seconds such as:

Plank / Reverse Plank / Side Plank

PB hold

Inverted Hang

Hollow Hold

V Up

Arch Hold

On top of this i started doing some light core work on the mat and single leg circles in the air while on my back. After three weeks of this everyday, without doing any other training and without having ever trained or been able to do a single legged squat before, i dropped down and popped out 5 reps on either leg unaided in single leg squats. I was like wtf? i don't know if i was just strong enough before and my flexability sucked so hard or my general balance, co-ordination or something has improved but it was pretty cool. I have also never really done much two legged squatted ever either.

Either way i love gymnastics training. My shoulder is holding up to L sits now and my hamstring flexability has improved so much i can almost straight leg it. go go isometric stretching.

Quick Start Test Smith

Are you the "old" Newguy or do you simply have an rip-off name? :P

Yeah! Isometric stretching is great! Especially when coupled with dynamic full ROM movements like inverted adductor flies and split stands :twisted:

newguy5000

nah there is another newguy here i didn't realise i was cloning someone already on the boards :)

Quick Start Test Smith

You may want to add in your signature: "Not to be mistaken for the first NewGuy."

lol!

Newguy

Hehe! I thought I was being original when I came up with my name!

dacicsak

The one legged squat is my dream, but i dont have enough flexibility to do it...

Do u think i should do the same exercises as u did?

newguy5000

i dunno if you should copy me, i've never really trained the 1 leg squat before, maybe i just naturally had most of the strength and flexability already.

I talked to my friend recently who has ben training his one leg squat and has acheived them now and he did it really simply. Just hung a band over the pull up bar and used it for a bit of assistance with one hand and knocked out reps. Eventually, he just used the band less and less until he could pop them out easily.