Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sprouts

Samuel Carr

Samuel Carr

I keep hearing about how great sprouted seeds/vegetables are for you, and even though they aren't specifically paleo, they're extremely nutritious and seem to be relatively easy to produce. There seems to be a bunch of knowledge on sprouts seen randomly around this forum and so I made this in order to centralize it. Anything you know about sprouts and how to utilize them, please post: What are sprouts, nutritious qualities, varieties, recipes, etc.

Samuel Carr

Here's something Slizzardman came up with that is made using wheat sprouts.

I think I know what it is. I made sprouted wheat bread by simply taking half a pound or so of wheat sprouts and putting them in the blender, then cooking the resulting dough-like mass in the oven at 170 for 4 hours. The result was quite good. My friends at grappling club were pretty impressed, they all suggested adding ground cinnamon so I will do that with my next batch of wheat sprouts. Anyhow, my conclusion is that Lembas are sprouted grains that have been mashed up into a dough and baked at extra low temperature. My bread has pretty crazy energy properties, and the whole Lembas thing popped into my head. This stuff is incredible! Elves rule, even if they aren't real.

On a serious note, I am totally serious about the sprouted wheat bread. I did not add flour or anthing, though I DID add a very small amount of water just to see if it would matter. it did not, the sprouts just mash together into something of a natural dough. Obviously a food processor would do this better than a blender, but I made do with the meager tools at my disposal. Wheat is sweet, which caught me off guard.

My next batch will be the rest of my wheat, followed closely by a mix of wheat, rye, barley and oats. Of course they will all be sprouted. I will let you all know how it comes out. I may also experiment with using some dextrose for sweetening, but I am finding that I actually like the natural flavor.

Samuel Carr

How to make nutritionally dense mung beans

Keep in mind that the beans are much more dense than the big sprouts. Your best bet is to buy mung beans and soak them for 12 hours, using at least 3x as much water as beans, and then let them sit for 12 hours after you have drained them. They will be about 3x the size they were dry with little sprouts, and will be a denser, similar tasting snack.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.