Hi All,
I've checked out the various elbow threads and none of them quite match up with my elbow situation, so I'm going to share.
Let me start with a few facts:
I'm 23 years old.
I'm just getting into bodyweight strength training (BtGB arrived today
)
I've had no previous injuries.
I've been pretty active most of my life, except for the past four years of college. (I casually rock climbed)
I have horrible mobility/flexibility (slight-moderate internal rotation, poor t spine flexibility, poor wrist flexibility/strength, super tight hamstrings)
I'm on a computer for 8+ hours a day.
I've been working on full body mobility and basic strength for a couple of months and I'm trying not to get too excited about all of the cool bodyweight exercises. To prevent injury, I'm willing to go as slow as I have to. Anyway, yesterday I did 1 pushup and 1 pullup on the minute for 30 minutes. I started out doing pushups on my hands (which I don't normally do) and my right elbow and shoulder started to hurt about halfway through. I switched to pushup bars and the pain decreased significantly. However, it lingered for a while after the workout. (I've done 3x5 pullups and 3x8 pushups on bars with no pain)
When really focusing on my elbows, I noticed that my right elbow makes a little clicking feeling (no noise) whenever my arm fully extends. The clicking feeling is very soft when my arm is straightened in a "bicep curl" position and becomes stronger when extending in a "hammer curl" position. My left arm actually makes a soft clicking feeling in the "hammer curl" position, but not in the "bicep curl" position. I unfortunately don't know enough about physiology to know what's going on. I'm assuming that I have some imbalance/weakness which I could remedy with some basic band strength exercises. (Also, I'm left handed.)
Should I lay off pushups and pullups until my mobility/basic strength is better?