This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Irish Strength, the unorthodox strongman log

Started by Zach Coulter, August 13, 2008 · 134 Replies · 10,300 Views

Zach Coulter

Squats

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

265x5

These felt great, but I also had far more rest between the sets than I normally do. Normally, there is less than 2 minutes between sets, but this time I was squatting and helping my brothers move some stuff around the shop(they did most of the moving though).

I also played with my 50kg KB again. Wasn't feeling the push presses today, but I decided to try and swing-throw it. I ended up getting over 10ft and about 7-8 throws over 7'6". A strongman comp I'll be competing in in July will have the weight for height and I figure that if I can get some FULL swings in with this 50KG weight then I'll manhandle the 50ishLB weight for the comp. "FULL swings" meaning a swing all the way overhead and controlled for reps with either hand.

For the record, it wasn't too long ago that I couldn't get 275 for 5 reps and here I am 2 weeks away from doing 275x10x5.

Zach Coulter

Was supposed to be press day today but I figured I'd turn it into an "arm" day. I haven't said that in over 2 years :laugh I'll be starting into a program Frank gave me(though I doubt I'll actually follow it to any degree of strictness Frank :blush I never end up following any program strictly)

2 DBOHP(strict)

75'sx3

Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

50'sx5/5

FULL hammer curls

35'sx5/5

45'sx5/5

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

30'sx5/5

Messed with the EZ curl bar

Reverse grip Bench

135x10

135x6(feeling wierd on my elbow)

CGBP

135x4

135x10

Messed with the cable pulley machine in some AW positions.

My arms were very pumped. I gave them a good ice-water soak when I got home.

Zach Coulter

Squats

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

270x5

Also did some Rolling Thunder afterwards. Pulled 132 for a few and 134.5 for a few. My handle is basically new so it spins rather freely.

Zach Coulter

My AW tourny didn't go so well. Then again, I was totally outmatched by the 198's as they were all damned good pullers in their own right and at least 2 with more than a decade of training and competing under their belts. My wrists were plenty strong to handle those I went up against, though with small hands it makes less of a difference, but my upper arms are very very weak by comparison and my technique was non-existent. The latter at least is to be expected as I've never even tried to train AWing before yesterday. It was great fun but I think I'll get some more training and experience under my belt before I compete again.

I played with my hammers again tonight. Getting stronger with these.

Zach Coulter

My elbows are still sore, so I didn't end up doing any bench tonight.

2 DBOHP

75'sx3(last rep was push pressed)

60'sx10(strict)

Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

50'sx5/5

45'sx5/5

FULL hammer curls

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

30'sx5/5

Did a few pullups off a ledge, some assissted OAC's and decided to hit the road. My elbows were nice and sore by this time. I'm also almost positive that I did more hammer curls-wise, but I forget exactly what weights I did 2 sets on so I'll just leave it as is.

I also nearly CCS'd my RB210 gripper today and got my PDA 190 to sub 1/4".

Zach Coulter

Had squats again today. I was crunched for time and thanks to a headache that has been raging since my first class started 8hrs ago, I was not able to get into any kind of intense enough mindset for a 10x5 squat session. So instead I went heavy.

315x3

335x2(my best ever before today was 325x1)

350x1(I loaded up 340 but I've always said that I'd be good for 350+ fresh so I decided to prove myself right... it was a grinder)

315x3

315x2

I went after 2HP next. Weights include the apparatus and plate weights, I don't know how much the loading bar weighs but it's a safe bet it's 3-5lbs.

141x1

161x1

171x1

181x1

190x0(off the ground 1-3" though!!!)

171x5 singles

Did some RT work also

134x2 righty and almost 1 lefty

112x20/20

Thumbless RT work

97x20/20

Big improvements on these lifts. 200lbs is a BIG lift on the 2HP device for any age/weight/handsize/etc so getting 190 off the ground is a very good thing for me.

Zach Coulter

I messed with my RT yesterday and today.

Yesterday was 122x20/20

Today was 119.5x20/20

I'm hoping a high rep scheme will help me out more than heavy singles, though I'll end up doing both I'm sure.

Zach Coulter

Played with my grippers today. Closed Lipinski's 163lb PDA 190 and had according to my spotter I could've grabbed a penny out of his hand with the second attempt. Came close to CCSing my 140 RB210, that's entering easy #3 territory Also missed my 155lb RB300N by a hair after everything.

I've really been playing with my hammers lately which has really hindered all my grip training, but apparently working with really heavy hammers is helpful to gripper closing. It must be. I haven't trained grippers seriously in months, but I have been working my levering and wrists fiercely. Anyway, I've been getting some heavily cheated full levers in with my 25lb loadable hammer. I could barely hold the damned thing up when I first started playing with it, now controlling it that way is no problem and I can begin to focus on the lever.

Zach Coulter

Ok, I was super tuckered out today. For whatever reason, I was hot, fatigued, tired AND I was hungry. Anyone whose ever worked with me while I'm hungry knows what an unproductive jerk I can be, but it's not my fault. I'm just really flipping hungry. That is why this session was cut short. I also think that I was demoralized early on by how much my bench is sucking right now. I haven't benched in 2 weeks and it shows.

2DBOHP

75x3/3 (not strict)

Flat bench

135x12

CGBP

225x3

235x3

Flat Bench

255x1(tough)

225x5

Decline bench

255x2

225x5

225x5

I think I did more sets of flat bench but I can't remember.

Did some curls next and by this time the hunger started kicking in.

Hammer curls

65'sx5/5 (these actually felt good)

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

50'sx5/5

Full Hammer curls

45'sx5/5

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

And I called it a night here.

Zach Coulter

Front Squats

135x5

135x5

225x3 singles

245x1

265x1

285x0(would've had 275, I wasn't strong enough for this one)

265x0(still wiped from the 285 fail)

225x4

Back Squats

320x2

320x1(failed the 2nd rep)

230x20(I think I could easily do 245-255 for 20 right now. My legs were begging for more weight but my conditioning wasn't there today)

Rolling Thunder

132x 5R / 3L

127x 10R / 7L

On a gymnastics note, I'm nearing a decent holdable front lever on rings, back lever is still a ways away. I've also been really hammering my splits training recently. I'm so close to a full side split that I can taste it 8)

Zach Coulter

I have a headache today, and I just feel burnt out mentally and physically. Nonetheless, I had a decent workout today.

2DBOHP strict

60'sx10

CGBP

135x20

Flat bench

225x3

205x5x5

Hammer curls(Everything over the 65's had a bit of upward shoulder movement but I made sure my bi's and brachioradialis were doing most of the pulling)

70'sx5/5

75'sx5/5

70'sx5/5

65'sx5/5

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

50'sx5/5

45'sx5/5(from here down were full hammer curls)

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

30'sx5/5

Chins

BWx5

Hands-touching pullups

BWx3

Pullups on a 2" square bar(all were pretty slow)

BWx2

BWx2

BWx2

BWx2(these were with a wider grip)

Assissted One Arm Chin holds at the top

BWx2/2 (these were held for 2-5 seconds, couldn't do much more after everything else)

Zach Coulter

I decided to deadlift today instead of squat. I haven't deadlifted in awhile and it has always been my favorite lift and I want to get back to deadlifting regularly. Last time I pulled I did 405 sumo for a few doubles and a triple if I remember right. I only went sumo because my back was bugging me, not the problem today. I pulled conv.

225x2

315x5

335x5

365x5

385xhover (sumo)

385x1(sumo with a belt)

385xhover (conv.)

365x5

315x5(1 rep was done thumbless and the rest were DO)

I used to have a very SLDL-type of form due to my severe lack of leg strength. I can get lower at the start and benefit from leg strength now. I at least hovered what I couldn't pull today, that in itself is a PR. I used to go heavy almost every time I pulled, I wont be so brash this time around. 5's, 3's and 2's will be common unless I'm feeling strong or haven't pulled heavy in awhile.

I did some work with my 2.5" PVC wrist roller afterwards... wow. FRIED again.

Zach Coulter

I did some Easter AW pulling and I paid the price in pain today. I had a very easy(it would've been without the pain anyway) workout tonight.

2DBOHPress strict

65'sx8

Flat Bench

210x5x5

Did some pathetically light curls and was done for the night.

Zach Coulter

Did some squats today and decided to do some high reps. I didn't feel mentally ready to test my maximum reps with BW, so I did the next best thing: A 10x10 set with 205, 8lbs more than my BW.

Front Squats

135x5

225x1

Back Squats

315x1

315x1

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x10

205x15(tried for 20, but wasn't there mentally)

205x5

This was by far the hardest squat workout to date. My heart was racing at set 3 and I was slightly dizzy after sets 3 and 4 and decided that I would give myself ample rest between sets. At least I will at first. I thought of yet another way to train for the 100 rep squat also. I will try to do this for the next few weeks, possibly months if I am capable and it turns out I make gains.

Do a 10x10 set but try to do a 20 rep squat after set 8. When I can get myself to do the 20 reps at the end of the squat session and do the session with less than 5 minutes between sets, I'll add 5lbs to the total and try to do the same. Once I feel I hit a wall weight-wise, I'll try to add reps to the last set instead of adding weight. I felt I hit a wall mentally on the 5th set because my last idea, to do 10x5, got me used to 50 reps, not 100. This will get me used to 100 reps and help me add weight.

Zach Coulter

Bench and bi's today. Elbows are still a bit sore from my Easter AWing but they are getting better.

2DBOHP

75'sx3

Flat Bench

135x10 (CGBP)

225x5

225x5

225x5

225x5

225x5

Incline Bench

135x5 paused

145x5 paused

155x5 paused

165x5 shorter pause

175x5 no pause

EZ curls

75x10 at each hand position

65x10 at each hand position

Hammer curls(not full)

50'sx5/5

45'sx5/5

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

30'sx5/5

Messed around a tad with some pullups on a 2" square bar but only a few doubles.

Biceps are the wierdest thing; they are super pumped from beginning to end of my bi stuff and right now, only 1 hour later they are perfectly fine. I was pleasantly surprised that I did 225 for 5x5. I don't often go above 3-5 reps and I usually go heavier but I decided to work up with 5x5 for a few weeks to see where it takes me. Definitely only going up to 230 next workout however.

Zach Coulter

I've changed up my splits training routine completely in hopes that it will break the plateau I seem to have reached. I think it's working very well right now. I'm definitely getting closer to a full gymnastic split 8)

I was going to squat today, but I just wasn't there mentally. Instead, I did some 2 hand pinch and played with my 50kg a bit.

2HP

41x1

91x1

141x1

161x1

171x1

181x0

181x1

161x5

171x2

I weighed my setup with what I thought was 171 and it weighed out at 179. I weighed it 3 times on a bathroom scale and it averaged at 179. So all of the weights I have been using actually should be 8lbs higher. Which means that the 190 I broke off the ground a few weeks ago was actually 196-198. For my size, that is a damned good pull.

Zach Coulter

Did a bench/bi day again. I haven't had a chance to squat yet and I'm bummed about it

2DBOHP(strict)

75'sx3

Flat bench

135x10

235x5

235x5

235x5

235x5

235x4(failed the last mother fudging rep)

235x2

Hammer curls

75'sx5/5

75'sx4/4

70'sx5/5

65'sx5/5

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

50'sx5/5

45'sx5/5(full hammers from this point down)

40'sx5/5

35'sx5/5

Some assissted OAC's

One arm preacher curls

40x5/5

40x5/5

40x5/5

35x8/8

Zach Coulter

Bench/arm day again. I did have a small squat session between this bench session and the last, but I didn't post it because it was so incredibly dizmal.

2DBOHP strict

75'sx3

75'sx2

Flat Bench(was going to do 235x5x5 again today but I am just not feeling it. SUPER burnt out right now... just... want... rest...

135x10

230x5

225x5

Incline Bench

185x5

185x5

175x5

175x5

175x5

A bunch of chin ups and assissted one-arm pulls with some weighted chins thrown in.

Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

55'sx5/5

Full hammer curls

50'sx5/5

45'sx5/5

Preacher curls

40x5/5

45x5/5

And done.

Zach Coulter

2DBOHPress strict

75'sx3

Flat Bench

135x10

225x3

255x2

265x1(and it actually was reletively easy all things considered)

245x2

Incline Bench

185x5

205x3

215x2

Some Assissted OAC's and some pullups and chinups, some curls and done.

I had a good pinch workout today as well. Finally got my two 2" thick 28.9lb steel discs. That lift has been a long time coming. I've had them for damn near 2 years and haven't been able to lift them until today, and completely burnt out as well.

I had a grip comp on Saturday that I'm still feeling the effects of. I ended up winning the lightweights and coming 5th overall. This REALLY surprised me and several others as no one, not even me, expected me to do so well. It was a pretty good crowd for a grip comp too, 17. 20 guys is a big comp so 17 is pretty darned good. I managed a Tuck planche press to handstand, a ring finger chinup, and my first proper human flag on both sides after the comp at a BW of 195-200. There was another guy there, a school teacher no less, who was doing human flags at 225-230lbs and managed to press the 172lb Inch DB right after. Beastly.

Justin Rawley

Congrats on your grip comp and on your flags.

Zach Coulter
akrajen said:
Congrats on your grip comp and on your flags.

Thank you!

I squatted yesterday but apparently forgot to post it. Here it is:

Back squats all

135x5

225x5

300x2

350x0(if I had been motivated and not beaten down/burnt out I would've had this one)

300x1

245x10(could've done 20, again, if I wasn't such a lazy, unmotivated arse that day)

Today's bench workout

2DBOHPress

75'sx3

Flat Bench

135x10

Incline Bench(I just realized my next strongman comp has a 230lb log press for reps as the first event, I figured I should try to work towards at least one rep )

205x3

235x1(10lb PR)

205x3

205x3

185x5

185x5

185x5

135x5(narrow grip, elbows touching the sides all the way down and up with a 1 second pause and breathe at the bottom)

Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

60'sx5/5(both sets were decently strict with virtually no swinging until the last 4 or so reps of the 2nd set, big improvement here)

Full hammer curls

50'sx5/5

Some back pressure training and then 1 set of 10 chins and 1 set of 7 pullups.

Zach Coulter

I've got a nice deep sunburn on my shoulders right now, so hopefully I'll be able to squat without gut-wrenching pain by tomorrow or Thursday.

Bench and Bi's today

2DBOHPress

75'sx3

Incline Bench

135x5 paused, close grip

155x5 paused, close grip

240x1 pr

225x1

185x5

185x5

2DBOHPress

60'sx3

65'sx3

70'sx2(stumbled on the 2nd rep and lost all mental momentum)

Heavy Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

60'sx5/5(both sets decently strict but with shoulder movement)

Full hammer curls

55'sx4/4 sloppy, but with very little swing

50'sx5/5

Spider curls

75x5 CG

75x3 Wide grip

75x5 CG

75x5 Wide grip

Some AW-type back pressure movements with a 60 and a 55 afterwards. The 60 was just too heavy today.

I then did a bunch of assissted one arm chins. Getting much much better at these. My arm strength is really coming up, however slowly.

Zach Coulter

Was thinking about squats today, but nope. I deadlifted instead.

225x2

315x1

365x1

385x1

390x1

395xhover

315x5

315x5(My back gave me its "I'm done" signal by tightening up on me during this set. I listened.)

2HP

141x1

161x1

171x3"

171x0

161x5 singles

171x0

Then a few more singles with 141.

After a bit of stretching the back I gave my RT handle a pull, 132 was all I could muster. Not bad considering its my best ever pull on that damned thing.

2.5" PVC Wrist roller both ways with 125, then 135.

Zach Coulter

I visited Brouse and the regulars in Kzoo last Saturday. Good times. I'm either way stronger than I thought, or fooling myself completely. I flipped his 750 tire 10ish times, pretty sure it was at least 10 though. That means it's probably the easiest 750 east of the Mississippi. Did some farmers up to 205/hand for 200 total feet with 2 good 50ft runs and some stop/starts thrown in. The grip wasn't a problem in the first 50 or the last 50, but was in the middle for whatever reason. Played briefly with a 200lb sand-filled keg. Brouse was getting all "don't drop it" on us so I didn't bother trying to press it. Did some grip stuff, nothing amazing. I tried some very painful and very slick 35's and managed to break the ground with them ever-so-slightly. Grip was too shot by the time I got my hands on some slightly easier ones. Also did some Atlas stone lunges that everyone else pussed out on and a few sandbag lunges. I like the way those make my ass feel, so I'll be doing more of those. Gave a few tuck planches and press to handstands a go, as well as some very brief flags. By the time I got around to showing off my gymnastic skills my body was pretty tuckered out. As a result, nothing impressive went down :oops:

All the above was posted simply to explain why my workout was rather light and easy today, but still productive.

2DBOHPress strict

70'sx3

75'sx1 strict

70'sx3

70'sx3(some torso movement)

Incline bench

135x5 paused

165x4 paused (I actually bitched out on the 5th rep, probably because I was using an unfamiliar grip and breathing wierd on purpose)

185x5

185x5

185x5

185x5

185x5(finally managed 5x5 with 185, took probably 30ish minutes but I did it)

Preacher curls

50x5/5

50x5/5

50x5/5(some leaning back on the up motion)

Some back pressure training with a 60 and I was done for the night.

Zach Coulter

I squatted yesterday, but it wasn't anything special and was cut short thanks to a timing error on my part(gym was closing earlier than I expected). I felt pretty good and attempted 365 and failed but felt strong all the way down to parallel. It was just past parallel that I realized it wasn't going back up. I did some wrist roller work up to 185lbs and played with my 126 DB. Getting better with that thing everytime I touch it.

Today's workout:

2DBOHPress strict

70'sx3

70'sx3

75'sx3

Incline bench

225x1

135x5(CG with pause)

155x5(CG with pause)

185x3(CG with pause)

205x3

205x3

205x3

Sternum chins

BWx5

+10x5

+25x5(from this point on they were just with me getting my chin over the bar)

+35x5

Hammer curls

60'sx5/5

60'sx5/5

Some back pressure work on the preacher bench and some other preacher curls afterwards. Nothing too voluminous today.