This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Irish Strength, the unorthodox strongman log

Started by Zach Coulter, August 13, 2008 · 134 Replies · 10,300 Views

Zach Coulter

Press day today.

Flat Bench

135x10

185x5

2 board press

205x3

225x3

260x2

275x1

275x1

285x0(JUST too heavy. I'm sure I had 280)

Flat Bench

245x2(It might've been 3 but I don't remember)

225x5

Decline Bench

245x3

235x3

225x5

2 DB OHP(no leg drive at all)

65x3

50x5

45x7

40x5

Wide grip sternum pullups

BWx4

BWx3(with 1 that didn't quite touch)

BWx2(with 2 that didn't quite touch)

OAC(pulling arm's palm facing me)

BWx3/3

BWx3/3

OAP(pulling arm's palm turned away)

BWx3/3

BWx3/3

Close grip pullups(palms turned away)

BWx5

Chins(palms facing me)

BWx5

Zach Coulter

Did some thickbar today. I worked with my RT, baby Inch and my 2 3/8" DB handle. I can't recall everything inparticular but I repped 110 until failure and 100 until failure, all with both hands. That took a good long while and I stood on a 2" platform with the RT loading pin on the ground so it was an extended pull for every rep. Didn't try and go any heavier, but I know 150 didn't come off the ground after that whole ordeal :tongue I can get my 126.3lb baby inch convincingly off the floor until it rolls out of my hand. It's actually rolling the entire time it's moving but it's coming off the floor above my ankles, so that is good progress. I can get it off the ground almost to the same height loaded to 166. I also did some negatives with it unloaded, loaded to 146 and loaded to 166. I actually got some good negatives in with it while unloaded, the 146 and 166 just went up and down with a 1 finger assist. I did some negatives on my 2 3/8 handle with 110 at this point. I almost got a full pull righty but my hands were toast, had some good negs with both hands.

I went to sledges next and got 2 full front levers with a 31" handled 6lb sledge. I'm getting more consistent with doing that and it's feeling easy each time. My left hand is still in pain from my last pinch workout over a week ago and the way the sledge pushes on your hand is causing intense pain at the base of my thumb during max effort front levers. I still got it with my hand choked up 5 or 6" pretty easily. I then did 10 reps to-the-face with my 33" handled 8er with each hand, NOT CONTINUOUS REPS. I started off doing doubles with my right and singles with my left. Curiously I got stronger as this went on and round about rep 7 lefty I could get doubles and did just that for the last 4 reps. Righty had doubles and triples all the way through to 10 and my wrists are TOAST.

Zach Coulter

Did squats again today and played with my 50kg KB afterwards.

2x50 with 75lbs, easy but burned like hell. Next week, we'll be going for heavy triples.

Did some cleans, swings, one arm stuff, push press attempts and even tried a TGU out of stupidity :) Really sore back!

Zach Coulter

Had a short press workout today. Wasn't feeling strong but still got a tough PR.

Flat bench

135x10

225x2

245x1

2 DB OHP

55x5

1 board press

265x1

Flat bench

265x1(ugly but it was a PR)

245x2

Decline bench

245x3

225x5

255x1

2 DB OHP

70x2(failed 3rd)

55x5

Sternum pullups

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5(1 didn't touch)

Assisted wide grip OAP

BWx3/3

BWx3/3

Assisted OAC

BWx3/3(I actually did more than 3 righty but didn't count)

BWx3/3

BB Rows

120x8

170x5

170x5

170x5

Zach Coulter

Alright guys, I think my body is telling me it's time for some rest. I didn't do my 55x100 rep squat yesterday because I had been outside all day and my back had a slight twinge in the morning that I didn't want to agitate. Well, I went in for a press day today and decided to add in some deadlifts just to test my back. It didn't turn out all that great. I loaded up 330 and stood on a 4" platform and did 3 reps. By the 3rd rep I noticed my back getting uncomfortably tight and I stopped pulling immediately. 330 while on a 4" platform is something that should've been very bloody easy and though the weight was not a problem, my back said "screw that noise". So now I'm sitting with a nice and super sore/tight lower back. It's not red, it's not swollen, it's not a sharp pain and it is definitely a muscle soreness. Rest is what it needs and I wont be doing anything with squats or pulls until it feels better.

On to the workout:

DBOHPress

75x3/3

2 DB OHP

70x2

50x6

Flat bench

135x10 paused

185x5

225x3

2 DB OHP

60x4

60x4

60x4

Some pullups and that was it. Short one today but the deads were just before the pullups and I just didn't feel like continuing.

Zach Coulter

Bent a Shiny in my thicker single leathers today. It was definitely easy and it was about 3/8" off center though looks like it's much much more. Well that was a decent warmup I decided so I went after a 480 bastard in my first leathers and it wouldn't budge, I put a microkink in it maaaaaaaaybe. Just so you all know, I've cut those pads down a bit and they were no better than IM pads before that anyway. I have no idea of the technique with such a lack of pads so I will be building up using those for now. Well, I decided it would be stupid to stop there so I wrapped up the Big FNL G8 that I wobbled a few weeks back. I had at it and in 2 strong hits I took the bar to 7.5 degrees. You can tell it's bowed without a doubt now I think I could've moved it further if I really wanted to subject my shoulders to that right now, but I don't. I wrapped up an 8" piece of 11/32 0-1 after that. I failed 2 pieces of the 11/32 0-1 prior to today, only taking the two to decent bowage. Today? I blew past the bow that the previous two were stuck at with ease. I had the whole piece done in 3 minutes, for sure. It melted through the sweep and most of the crush. I felt it start to spring at the end of the crush, but it was too late for it to fight back as it was at 1 7/8"

For shits and giggles, I tried to finish the crush on the Huge Shiny I cheated to 3 3/8". It didn't budge one bit and I didn't even feel it spring. Those Huge Shinys REALLY freeze up.

That Big G8's days are numbered.

Zach Coulter

Had another press day. Feeling stronger on the bench but didn't go heavy today. I am going to focus on close grip and wide grip benches for awhile as it netted me 20lbs last time I did it for only a month or so of concentration.

2 DBOHP

55x8

CGBP

135x10

205x3

225x3

Wide grip BP

245x0(had a wierd twinge in my right pec too, I just gave up there as I am not in the mood for injury and don't worry, I always have compitent spotters )

225x3

225x3

225x3

Can't remember exactly what else but I did a few more CGBP's but not much.

2 DBOHP

75x1 and a near miss at 2 (mostly a press but there was leg involvement)

65x3

55x5

Did some pullups on a 2" sq. bar

went back for some decline benching and hit 225x2x5

Then finished with some H rolls.

Zach Coulter

Press day again

2 DBOHPress

50'sx10

65x3

75x1(no leg drive )

65x3

65x3

65x3

Wide grip bench

135x10

225x3

225x3

225x3

245x1(spotter touched the bar on the second rep, not to lift it, but a touch is a touch, so let's say 1 1/2) Wide grip PR

Decline bench

225x3

260x2

275x0(off the chest)

Weighted pullups

+35x3

+35x3

+35x3

Weighted chins

+45x3

+45x3

+45x3

It gets a tad fuzzy around the 3rd set of weighted chins but I'm decently sure 3 sets were done.

Shrugs

270x10

410x5

Rack pulls

410x3

Zach Coulter

Had a squat session for the first time in 3 weeks:

Back Squat

135x10

225x3

275x2(that is my old max for 2 reps)

275x1(dropped the 2nd rep)

245x3(dropped the 4th rep)

235x4

235x3

I've decided that to get to BWx100, I'll need to make my BW feel like nothing. To do THAT I need to up my squat. My max was only 90lbs over my goal weight for 100 reps. I thought about it like that for the first time and then considered all the guys who have gone for, or were capable of BWx100. The guy who inspired me was John Allen, whose squat is well above 500 and did 218x98, Tom Platz' squat was over 800 raw, Kurt Angle had a 500+ squat(never heard max #'s), and so on. Perhaps a minimum of a 400lb squat would be sufficient? Perhaps only 2xBW or 370? I don't know, I'll cross that road when I come to it but I will be working mainly at increasing my squat with the occasional 10x10 or 4x25 sets thrown in. Also, my lower back is tight and that is holding me back from deadlifting seriously currently and that is a problem for me. I think it's an issue where my lower back is much stronger than the muscles around it. To remedy this, I will do several things with the #1 thing being squats and increasing my max. I also plan to rarely pull from the floor, instead I will work off platforms and work deficiet deads. Suitcase deadlifts, FW's, power cleans, axle deadlifts, heavy rows(my row is pathetic), LOTS AND LOTS OF DIRECT CORE WORK, and plenty of rest. Of course, my 50kg KB will have a nice place in this program too as I am almost literally a hair from a full snatch righty.

Onto the rest of the work:

2 cleans with my 50kg KB each arm(I can only do these inside at the moment with concrete floors, dropping it is not an option so I am forced to quit early with KB cleans, presses and swings.)

Sumo Deadlifts

315xa bunch, I didn't really count how many but it was between 10 and 20, certainly more than 10 and definitely not 20. Easy weight, but my back still likes to remind me that my back is tight with anything approaching heavy weight in a full deadlift. So I have to keep it light or risk back pain/injury

Zach Coulter

Pressing day, cut short, Boston Legal series finale started at 9.

2 DBOHPress

55'sx10

75'sx2

75'sx1

Wide Grip Bench

135x10

225x3

245x3(spotter tapped the bar on the last 2)

265x0(JUST too heavy, 5-10lbs off and it would've flown up)

225x4

CGBP

185x5 paused

185x4 paused

185x3 paused

Wide Grip Bench

135x17

Started with some pullups but realized it was 9 and had to go.

Zach Coulter

Press day

2 DBOHPress

55'sx10

75'sx1 1/2 (close on the 2nd)

CGBP

135x10

185x3

225x3(spotter helped unecessarily, but I'll just say 3 anyway)

205x3

185x5

185x5

185x5(could've gone all day with this but stopped because my LH elbow has a slight bit of tendonitis)

Chin ups

BWx3

BWx5

Wide grip pullups

BWx5

BWx4

BWx5

I think I did more pullups and chisn but w/e

I'm still blasted from Gripmas truth be told. Those Dinnie Stone attempts wiped. me. out.

Zach Coulter

I have been hammering my pinch grip these past few days and plan to continue with it until July when I hold my next contest. So far my contest is the only one on my list that will have 2HP as an event with a medley involving a good # of pinch items. My pinch has consistently been my weakest point, my achilles heel if you will, in grip contests. To do better, I need to up my pinch strength. I can lift easier 40lb york blobs, but not the slick one I have access to currently although that is changing fast. I plan to lift the Blob50 by the end of January '09. Nothing else matters to me right now(besides my regular lifting which still takes the front seat). My workouts will consist mainly of doing 2 handed Blob50 lifts for 30 reps. I'll increase the difficulty by reducing the # of fingers on one hand and switching back and forth. Currently I'm doing index/middle on one hand and the full hand on the other and switching every rep for 30 reps, so 15 reps in each position. It has had a noticeable effect as I couldn't even get that slick 40 off the ground a few weeks ago. My 2HP is at 160, possibly 165. I now have an actual 2HP device to train with, so I will be ferociously attacking that device until a 200lb competition lift is under my belt.

Anyway, this is the only place I will be posting my pinch workouts as I don't want my competitors knowing what I'm up to but I still want to write it down.

So, I have been playing with the blobs and doing, as I said above, 30 reps with the Blob50 in the manner described. I got the slick 40 off the ground a few inches with each hand, only once with the left but pretty consistently with the right. I nearly had a full pull of my 45 hex blob which would've been a huge PR. I'll get it soon, I just need to hit it at the right moment with a good set up.

Oh, and a bent a 3/8x6" piece of 360 "half-hard" brass to 2 1/8" today. I just couldn't finish that last 1/8" today. My head wasn't really in it and I wanted to save my CNS for squats today(which ended up not happening, snowstorm).

Zach Coulter

Had a mini-squat session today. The rare heat supplied by a propane heater died unexpectedly on me so I cut it short as it was a windy sub-20 degree day. I'm not kidding, there isn't a tree around my shop for over a mile so the wind really likes to pick up and chill the place down. Nice when it's 100 degrees, not when it's 15. Anyway, enough with the moaning. On with the workout...

Back squats

135x6

225x5

275x1

245x2

245x3

245x3

255x3

I'll do some weighthed pistols later today.

2HP work with my unseasoned setup. The setup is 41.35lbs.

91.35lbsx1

131.35x1

151.35lbsx1(decently easy)

Also did some one handed lifts and got 61 pretty easily righty and hovered it lefty.

Zach Coulter

Went after 2 cut 80ds today. I took down a 7.25" one like butter. I usually cut the points off of them and then the heads so I can twist the wraps around the bar more easily, so they usually end up at 7.5+ and sub 8" always. I didn't think about that beforehand and killed that bend. I went after a 7" piece right after that and it is stuck just outside 3", just inside my weakest area. 3 1/4"-4" is my problem point and I fought hard to get past that sticking point, apparently it sapped me too much and I got stuck shortly after. It will go down either tomorrow or Tuesday

Zach Coulter

Before I went to the gym I played around with my 6lb hammer and my wrists were golden brown afterwards. I messed with it very which way and more. I can tell you this will be a staple from this day forward.

Press day that turned into a back day. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

2 DBOHPress

65'sx5

CGBP

135x10

205x3

205x3

205x3

225x2(failed the 3rd rep, got mega ugly)

Flat Bench

225x2

205x3

205x3

205x3

CGBP

135x20 and I'm pretty sure I bounced more than once, but w/e

Did some sternum pullups and some chins, my arms were super pumped for some reason today. The little bit of pressing and the hammers must've been what did it. Anyway, that made for some piss poor pullups and a bit of kipping.

DB High Pulls(These actually got my heart pumping pretty well)

75x10/10

75x10/10

75x10/10

Now, I haven't deadlifted in quite some time because my lower back has been giving fits. The culprit must've been a muscular imbalance between my lower back and my glutes/hams as I recently suspected. I started squatting again and suddenly my back is feeling better and better. Good enough now that I felt confident in going for a few pulls.

225x2 off a thick platform

345x2 or 3 singles with the bar nearly touching the tops of my feet (I've used platform deads as a tester these past few weeks, never felt good to keep going until today)

345x5

405x1(got the 2nd off the ground but figured I shouldn't push it so soon, still felt confident with it)

355x3

I think I did more pulls than I listed, but this is all I remember and it couldn't have been much more than what I've written.

Did some suitcase deads for the first time. Adam Glass said he felt it helped his off the floor strength and off the floor is my long-standing weak point, so I figured I'd give them a go.

225x0(way too heavy for the first time ever doing these)

135x2/2(each side)

185x2/2(getting ugly and I want to get the form down first, but the weight wasn't "hard")

155x2/2

155x2/2

Did some one arm rows with a BB because my gym only has DB's up to 75's(at least until Jan 1st when we get a set up to 90's )

155x3/3(strapless and I straddled the bar. It was more of a really fast one arm deadlift than a row)

135x3/3

135x3/3

135x3/3

I finished the night with some H-rolls and an awesome "I'm back" feeling.

Zach Coulter

Alright, wanted to get back to high rep squats but still wanted to use heavier weight. So I compromised:

Back squats

135x10

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

205x5

I definitely need to work on my conditioning more. I believe I said in the past that I would be squatting 2x a week, I'll be doing 1 heavy day and 1 higher rep day. Perhaps with heavy KB swings thrown in on the heavy day. Next squat day will be Sunday and I'll finally be using my brand new power rack!

Zach Coulter

2DBOHPress

65x5/5

70x1 2nd rep was push pressed

CGBP

135x10

225x2 failed reps

225x1 normal grip

Wide grip

225x3

CGBP

225x3

205x3

205x3

205x3

Wide grip

245x2

CGBP

135x14

Did a bunch of pullups, a bunch of weighted ones with 25lbs too.

One arm Rows

120x3/3

120x5/5

140x5/5

170x5/5(a lot of body english)

120x5/5

also did a few more sets of 2DBOHPresses before I left.

Zach Coulter

Worked with my Blob50 and a fatman 45 blob. Did my usual 2 handed 30 reps with the Blob and worked with the fat 45 in the same manner. The fat 45 is actually wider than my Blob50 by a small margin and slicker to boot. I managed a lift of my Blob50 with my right hand+1 finger and thumb of my left, that's a PR :)

Zach Coulter

Did some card tearing and some bending today. I've been dabbling with the cards, not really training them. I did manage two decks pretty easily and started one while in the box, but the box's sides split apart and just rounded over the edges. I just took what was left of the box off then. I also took down a 6.75 Edgin in loose double wraps. It was pretty easy through to 2 1/4" and then it took me 2 or 3 minutes of rest before hitting it again to finish it off. I'm getting stronger, little by little. I also just about finished off that 6" piece of half hard brass that Foxman gave me after Gripmas; 2.013". I measured it with calipers because it was a pretty close one, but even my bad eyes could tell it was outside 2". My brother was there and thought me to be a nut for not counting it, but it's not finished!!!

Zach Coulter

Press day

2 DBOHPress

60'sx10

Incline bench(haven't done this in awhile, surprised myself)

135x5

205x2(could've done more I think, would've been tough)

185x5

190x5

195x5

Decline bench

225x3

245x3

225x5

Did 2 rounds of 3 sets of pullups/chins. 5 wide grip chins(first round these were sternum chins), then 5 narrow grip pullups, then 5 chins. Wasn't hard, was planning on adding weight but didn't get around to it.

One arm BB rows(all strapless on an unknurled bar)

120x5/5

140x3/3

120x5/5

120x5/5

Was going to finish off with 3-4 sets of H-rolls, but I dropped the DB's after the first set and they clanked together with my left index finger in the middle. It hurt and I was going to finish my sets anyway until I found that I couldn't hold the DB handle without a good bit of pain. I decided to stop there.

Zach Coulter

Squat day(all back squats)

135x10

205x5

245x3

300x1(not a true max, felt good, pr)

275x2(would've been happy with 1 set of 3 at 275, then I lost the 3rd rep and got frustrated)

275x2

275x2

275x2

275x1(bar did not slide but I leaned too much and fell out of the groove, had to drop)

275x1

225x5

225x5

135x10

Squats are getting better and that 205x10x5 was incredible. To anyone invovled with squats, give that a go. Load your 10-12 rep max on the bar and do 10 sets of 5 with it. Don't stop until your done. I'm hardly out the pathetic range in squat weight, espeically since my dead is at 440, but I'm getting better. That 300 is a 25lb pr and finally puts my total over 1k at 1005. Once my squat is proportionate to my dead, say 400, I expect to be at around 1300(that means by Jan 1st 2010).

Did some shrugs to end off the workout

315x10

405x5

405x5

405x5

I could've gone much heavier, but the bruise on my index finger is stopping me from grabbing the bar. I used straps and it didn't much help and actually put more pressure on my fingertip, which hurt. My shrugs suffered because I was a puss though, not my finger.

Zach Coulter

Got my #3 down to where even I wasn't sure if it was closed. My little bro was judgin and said it's only 1/16 away at most. I gave it a good 3-5 second hold there and called it quits with the grippers for the day. My set seriously got better overnight and now I've almost forgotten how I used to set in the first place. I'm still hampered by that bum left index finger a bit on the set(I reinjured attempting a bend), so I've been setting mostly with my left middle finger.

Press day

2DBOHPress(no legs whatsoever)

60'sx5

65'sx5

Flat Bench

135x10

225x3

250x1

265x1(tying my old pr and this one was a bit easier than the last time I did it)

250x2(2 rep pr)

135x11(close grip paused)

Sternum Pullups

BWx3

BWx3

BWx5

BWx3(last 1 didn't touch)

Close grip pullups

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5(around now kipping became apparent)

Chinups

BWx5

BWx5

BWx5

One arm BB rows

120x5/5

120x5/5

120x5/5

140x5/5

BTW, if you've never had a toasted peanut butter, honey and banana sandwhich, you haven't lived.

Zach Coulter

Blob50 2HPx30 reps

A few negatives with my easy 40 and a bit of fun with my 32.5. Also a few lifts with my skinny 40 hex.

Did some levering today.

Played with a few different 6lb rotations at various lengths then went to rear levers with my long 8. I worked up to 3 or 4 cheat levers with my short(31") 16, getting pretty close righty. Finished off with 5 reps BH with my 12.

Zach Coulter

Press day

2DBOHPress(strict)

70'sx5 pr(my previous best being 3 reps I think with a push press thrown in)

70'sx5 pr

CGBP

135x10 paused

Flat Bench

225x3

245x1

275xfail

Incline Bench

225x1 pr(my previous best being 205x2 and that was done fresh)

CGBP

225x2 and they flew up like nothing, while the 3rd rep came crashing down.

Wide grip sternum pullups

BWx5

BWx5

Close grip pullups

BWx5

BWx5(kipping was becoming evident around now)

Chins

BWx5

BWx5

One arm BB rows

120x5/5

120x5/5

120x5/5

One arm Suitcase deads(getting much stronger on these really fast, last week 185 was heavy)

195x3/3

215x3/3

195x3/3

195x3/3

Halbert raises

30'sx10

30'sx10

15'sx10(strict)

15'sx10(strict)

15'sx10(strict)

Chins

BWx5

Zach Coulter

Decided to mess with my grippers again. I got my RB260 for a few singles, not much easier than my #3. I came a hair away from my #3. I took my RB300N(it's an easy one, 155lbs) to 1/8" 2 or 3 times. No setted my #2 for a few righty, did some #2 closes lefty. I also got my #2.5 and my 2.83 RB210 to sub 1/4" from a no set after all the hard attempts. Also closed my 2.84 RB240 yesterday for a few. I'm getting better.

On a side note, my splits are getting better and better. I'm dangerously close to a full front split with either leg leading and my straddle split is moving past 170 degrees on a good day.

I also did some wall runs today, much harder than I expected them to be!!!