This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Irish Strength, the unorthodox strongman log

Started by Zach Coulter, August 13, 2008 · 134 Replies · 10,300 Views

Zach Coulter

Tried to get out to squat today and yesterday, wasn't happening. Had to lay a floor saturday, fixed my brother's truck Sunday and had to work today. I will squat tomorrow.

2DBOHPress

70x4 STRICT

70x5 (last 2 were push pressed)

Flat bench

135x10

205x5

255x1

205x5(my bench form finally "clicked" for me right here like never before. I was DIALED IN)

205x5

205x5

some assissted OACs, some back pressure work and some curls and I was out.

Zach Coulter

Squats today

135x5

225x5

305x3

325x1

305x1(failed the 2nd)

295x3

275x5

Nothing crazy today. It always seems I have to rush out of a squat session for one reason or another. This one was a possible medical emergency that ended up being a simple infection, so no worries.

I was thinking today about my bench form last night. I've been doing a lot of flexibility work and some bridge work. I think the bridge work has benefited my benching through a better, stronger arch.

Zach Coulter

Bench/arm day again

2DBOHPress- strict

70'sx3

70'sx5

Sternum pullups

BWx5

+25x5(these were actually just a hair out from touching my sternum, the first two reps touched. From here on out they were simply with me touching my chin to the bar)

+25x5

Chins

+45x3

+45x3

+45x3

Sternum Pullups again

BWx5

Flat Bench

135x10

205x5

225x3

205x5

210x5

215x5

220x5

225x4+1 assisted rep

135x20

Bent over BB rows

120x10

170x8

190x6

210x5

170x8

Zach Coulter

It would appear, yet again, that I have forgotten to post my last squat workout from last Tuesday. Wow. I'm forgetful. I don't remember what I did, but it was a low volume, higher weight session with fewer reps and more sets.

2DBOHPress(You know what? I'm just going to call these DB Olympic pushpresses from now on. I use torso movement, but my legs are straight the whole time)

75'sx3

70'sx3

Flat Bench

135x10

205x5

225x5

225x5

225x5

225x5

225x5

225x5x5 is a pretty big PR for me and I owe it all to my bench form finally clicking last week.

Did some preacher curls with a 60 and 50 and then did some weighted assissted OAC's up to +45lbs.

Zach Coulter

Had a get-together at Larkin's today. Everytime I go there I leave with a new-found lust for strength. Re-energized as it were. I managed to get 405 in the deadlift again, but couldn't do it without a belt. I'm extremely disappointed at how hard it was each time I pulled it. It should be far easier than it was by now and I will be deadlifting regularly again. I came sub 1/4" on 2 BB grippers that were(I'm told) harder than the MM1. Those BB's really like to bind up at the last little bit. I really just need to get my set down again and I'll have that MM1 in the bag. I pinched 163ish on my device and did some light levers. A bad time cannot be had at Larkin's gym.

In preparation for Nationals, I did some rear weaver levers with a hammer when I got home. Managed to work up to my 12lber and get at least one solid rep in. I'm fairly certain I will be doing better on this event at Nationals than I did at Gripmas last year.

Zach Coulter

Had a lighter workout today. I figure I should take it easy these next few weeks here since I have a strongman comp on the 18th and my comp on the 25th.

DBOlympicPP

75'sx3

75'sx3

Paused CGBP

135x5

155x5

175x5

205x5

225x2+1 forced rep

Did a few pullups and was out of there.

Zach Coulter

Back squats today

225x10

245x8

265x6

285x4

305x1(was going for 2 as you probably guessed, wasn't to be)

My next attempts were going to be 325x1 and see how many singles I could get. I've decided to stop trying to go heavier every workout and to just build up strength in the 3-8 rep range for the next month or two to see where it gets me. The 10 and 8 rep sets were pretty easy and the 285x4 took a bit out of me. I could've made this 20, 10, 5, 5 with the same weights if I hadn't wanted to hit 300 in this workout.

Zach Coulter

A lighter bench session focusing a bit more on explosivity and tricep strength.

2DBOHP strict

75'sx2+1 push press

60'sx4

CGBP- paused

135x5

185x5

205x5

225x2(failed the 3rd when it started going towards my head!)

205x3

135x12

Flat Bench

185x8

205x6

Hammer curls on preacher bench

50x5/5

50x5/5

50x5/5

40x5/5

40x5/5

A few pullups and I was done.

Zach Coulter

I may have torn my ACL on an Axle C&J attempt at WNY's strongest man today. I'm not in pain, I can put weight on it, but the knee is wobbly and has just the very slightest hint of soreness at the moment. Wether that will change tomorrow or not, I do not know.

Zach Coulter

Squats today

135x10

135x10

225x8

275x1

275x1

135x10

Decided to test my knee today and see what I could do. Wanted to make sure I wasn't being held back mentally yet. I am. The weight was reletively easy but on the 2nd rep of 275 on both sets I dropped it while halfway up. I think it was a combination of strength/being afraid. Either way, I got a tiny taste of what I'll be in for in a few weeks when I can start squatting again :x :x :x Physical therapy will begin around 8/26, by then I, according to what I've read, should have 90 degrees of flexion in the knee and be able to extend it a bit. My goal is to be at 95+ degrees and exceed the expected extension by that date.

It's weird, I'm forced to play the waiting game right now as surgery is next week. I have gone from being slightly worried, to anticipation, and now to excitement. I'm excited to get to work and get my leg back to 100%, damn the pain involved. From what I've read, you almost get what you give in the rehab. If you bust your ass hard, you reap the rewards. Then again, if you get lazy, you reap only consequences. I plan on surprising a few people.

Don't worry, I wont be stupid about this. I'm serious about coming back 100%. Serious enough to exercise self-restraint if I have too, not something I'm used to.