Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eggs and Health

dgibbons

Sounds decent. I had mixed eggs with milk before and it was alright. Sounds like something interesting for lil ones or for times you can't chew.

• Upvote 1

Nic Scheelings

Just gave the raw egg and banana idea a go and i must say it's pretty damn good!

looks a bit like baby food but i enjoyed the taste, I think i might use it as a healthy snack or after training.

Thanks for the idea Coach!

Guest Ido Portal

Natural Post Workout Meal

Actualy, tweaking a bit with the ingredients and adding some things will get you to one of the best post workout meals possible without supplementation.

PWO-Meal ingerdients

1. 7-15 egg whites (No whole eggs here, you dont want fat in this meal)

2. 2-3 whole bananas (glycogen replenishment)

3. 1-2 tbls desiccated honey (glycogen replenishment)

4. 1-2 tbls cinnemon (insulin managment)

5. 300-500 ml mineral water + a pinch of mineral sea salt

Put in a blender and blend until consistent.

This pwo meal is not optimal, but when having problems (mainly with parents not agreeing on supplementing with protein powders) it is the next best thing, using whole natural ingredients.

I'm aware of the high cost of 7-15 egg whites. One can buy egg white only liquids, although this choice also has its drawbacks.

Ido,

you suggested a protein intake of roughly 2-3grams/kg lean bodyweight, in another post, divided into 6 meals (or more). Could you please share your thoughts on protein and carb/sugar intake for PWM's?

Also, you say the cinnamon manages insulin. I presume, correct me if I'm wrong, that it reduces the spiking? Would it be advised to use it on all (to people's taste) sweet foods? Are there any other ingredients that have the same effect?

Regards,

Ed

Guest Ido Portal

Ed,

Cinnamon has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity in research. It can be used with every meal, to better insulin managment.

As for carb intake pwo, Charles Poliquin has released this chart:

12-72 reps per workout: 0.6 g/Kg/LBM

73-200 reps per workout: 0.8 g/kg/LBM

200-360 reps per workout: 1.0 g/kg/LBM

360-450 reps per workout: 1.2 g/kg/LBM

You can use it as a guideline, but I suspect pwo nutrition is an art more than a science. The circumstances will effect every aspect of pwo consumption:

isolation vs intergration movements, musculature involved, CNS demends, LBM, climate, and many many more. I suggest you research the subject, while also learning to listen to your body.

Sometimes I just know (feel) that i need more protein that day,(structural damage) or minerals (a lot of sweating during workouts) or carbs. (low glycogen stores) You develop some kinds of an instict towards your body's needs. Or you dont.

Ido.

• 9 months later...
Guest Cornfed_Iowan

As far as the health concerns go for eating raw eggs. I believe your chance of getting salmonella this way is something like 1 in 250,000. I also agree that the whole egg is good for you, however, there IS something to be said about watching the consumption of the yolk. If you normally do five eggs, try doing three whites and the other two whole. If JUST whites are consumed you may wind up getting a Biotin deficiency.

Also, raw eggs have a certain chemical compound and if cooked, changes this compound in a negative way. Not to say cooked eggs are bad for you or are not healthy...just not as effective. Even beating the egg/breaking the yolk changes its compound. If raw isn't your style, try using a chaser...a shot of fruit juice worked for me when I first started. :wink:

Joshua Naterman
As far as the health concerns go for eating raw eggs. I believe your chance of getting salmonella this way is something like 1 in 250,000. I also agree that the whole egg is good for you, however, there IS something to be said about watching the consumption of the yolk. If you normally do five eggs, try doing three whites and the other two whole. If JUST whites are consumed you may wind up getting a Biotin deficiency.

Also, raw eggs have a certain chemical compound and if cooked, changes this compound in a negative way. Not to say cooked eggs are bad for you or are not healthy...just not as effective. Even beating the egg/breaking the yolk changes its compound. If raw isn't your style, try using a chaser...a shot of fruit juice worked for me when I first started. :wink:

That's actually not completely true. So, high levels of heat "denature" the proteins by changing the hydrogen bonds that determine the three-dimensional shape of the protein. This affects an enzyme's ability to interact with the protein, which means that it can't be digested. If you cook your eggs on very low heat, as long as the bottoms don't start to brown you will not be denaturing the protein. Also, eggs have a protein called Avidin( which is like .05% of the total protein) in them which binds to Biotin, AKA vitamin B7. They will keep vitamin b-7 from being absorbed. So any meal with raw eggs will keep b7 in that meal from being absorbed. Cooking the eggs alters the structure of the Avidin protein, which makes it unable to bind anything. It only takes like 3 minutes at 137 degrees to accomplish that. So you can actually cool your eggs on low heat, keep all the protein intact, deactivating the Avidin, and making eggs awesome and safe! Plus warm yolks are delicious!

• 2 months later...

So how many eggs should I eat per week? How many at a time? I'm asking for recommended/optimal values, not upper limit.

I'm confused.

Joshua Naterman
So how many eggs should I eat per week? How many at a time? I'm asking for recommended/optimal values, not upper limit.

I'm confused.

There's not a right number or a wrong number, each egg has about 7 grams of protein. Figure out how many grams of protein you want in your meal, more or less, and divide that by 7. Round up if you don't get a whole number, a little more protein won't hurt. It's a good rule of thumb to not consume more than 4 egg yolks a day, and some people will need to do less than that if they are predisposed to cholesterol issues. But then, those people usually have low levels of monounsaturated fats. Consuming lots of olive oil or macadamia oil(thanks to those who pointed it out) will help with cholesterol levels, as will resistance training. Make sure you have enough healthy oils, a serving with each meal is a very good idea. The best thing to do when making any significant dietary change is to get blood work done before, one month after, and three months after. That way you can see whether what you have done is good for you or not. IF you're worried about the cholesterol, just have 2 egg yolks a day. They are easy to separate with your hands. You actually need a good bit of cholesterol, because your body makes all your steroid hormones from it. Testosterone as an example. I don't know the others off of my head :) Cholesterol is also used in cell membranes, so don't be afraid of it.

Thanks for the info slizzardman.

Figure out how many grams of protein you want in your meal,

Is there a formula for this? How can I estimate how much I need, how much is good? I don't have the experience to judge.

Joshua Naterman

The basic measurement is to first figure out your lean body mass. Step one, weigh yourself. Step two, multiply your weight by your bodyfat percentage. For example, if you weight 175 lbs and you had 10% bodyfat, you'd to 175 X .10, which equals 17.5 lbs. You subtract that number from your total weight. So you'd have 175 lbs - 17.5 lbs, which equals 157.5 lbs. 157.5 lbs is your lean mass. That means you'd want to be consuming somewhere between 100 and 160 grams of protein a day. If you want to get bigger, you're going to be closer to the 160 grams. If you don't care about getting bigger but want to continue gaining strength, you can be anywhere in there. If you specifically DON'T want to get bigger, you'll want to stick closer to the 100 grams of protein a day mark.

After that, figure out how many meals you're going to eat. If you're going to eat 5 meals a day, that'd be between 20 and 35 grams of protein a meal, so about 3-4 eggs for the meal(s) you use eggs for! Not so bad, right? Also, 8 ounces of beef has about 44 grams of protein after it's cooked, so a quarter pound steak is 22 grams. If you search online there are databases freely available that will help you determine how much protein and whatever else foods have, as well as the nutrition labels on the packages :) It's pretty easy to get your protein, when you look at how little you need to eat. 3 chicken breasts, which are usually 8 ounces, is like 120 grams of protein. Holy crap, batman! A few pieces of chicken a day and you're already golden!

I hope that helps a little.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.